Correct oil filter for 2021 5.3L engine

Ahhhh, the oil filter discussion !! There's one in every forum !! It's as old as the "it's sauce... not gravy". argument !!

All joking aside... I'm new to this site's forums but not new to servicing my own vehicles. Fram gets pooh'd on, every time by many folks, but I have over 450k miles on Fram filters, (which doesn't seem a lot, for the amount of years I've been behind the wheel). I change my oil regularly, most times earlier than recommended intervals. Never had a problem.

I'll probably continue to use them on my '21 5.3L AT4... if it ever gets here ...🤪

Cheers,

Tony

BTW... I call it "Sauce", UNLESS you're adding the meatballs and Sausage... then, it's "Gravy".👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thekcwolf said:

Ahhhh, the oil filter discussion !! There's one in every forum !! It's as old as the "it's sauce... not gravy". argument !!

All joking aside... I'm new to this site's forums but not new to servicing my own vehicles. Fram gets pooh'd on, every time by many folks, but I have over 450k miles on Fram filters, (which doesn't seem a lot, for the amount of years I've been behind the wheel). I change my oil regularly, most times earlier than recommended intervals. Never had a problem.

I'll probably continue to use them on my '21 5.3L AT4... if it ever gets here ...🤪

Cheers,

Tony

BTW... I call it "Sauce", UNLESS you're adding the meatballs and Sausage... then, it's "Gravy".👍

On soprano's they called it gravy. Arguing with them you’d be swimming with the fishes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Well, what you heard is wrong. They can not deny your warranty if it has a non AC Delco filter on it. We are not required to service our vehicles at the dealership, we do not sign any contract stating that.

I run a WIX filter from Napa on any of these newer engines, 100255 is the part number.

That is correct.  In a warranty deal the only thing I need is records that service was done.  Does not matter where it was done or if you do it yourself.   The only thing is if you do it your self along with a log of when and mileage  is proof where you purchased oil and filter.  The brand does not matter as long as it meets OEM specs. 

• Like 1

FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services

In part...............

The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies’ statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Fram 

:puke::puke:

Wix or AC Delco only pls

Wix's biggest selling point about a decade ago was that no NASCAR engine ever failed as a result of one of their filters.  This was when Wix was a NASCAR sponsor.  Not sure if they still are, and not sure if that statement remains true. 

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=15777

New Torque Specification and Installation Procedure for ACDelco Spin-On Oil Filters

January 19, 2022

A new torque specification has been released for ACDelco spin-on oil filters installed on 2000-2022 GM models equipped with a gasoline engine. The new specification is in response to possible oil leaks coming from underneath the front of the vehicle after a prior oil change service was performed. In some cases, the oil leak may take several thousand miles to occur.

If an oil leak is seen, it may be coming from between the oil filter gasket and the mounting surface. (Fig. 15) The filter also may be very easy to remove, or may be able to be removed by hand.

F15-filter-2.pngFig. 15

The revised installation specification for all spin-on oil filters PF64, PF63, PF48, PF66, UPF64R, UPF63R, UPF48R and UPF66R is:

1. Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the oil filter one (1) full turn after the gasket makes contact with the sealing surface on the filter mounting flange. If installing with a torque wrench, it should be approximately 10 Nm of torque.

The specification will be updated in Service Information and the label on the oil filters. (Fig. 16)

F16-filter-1.pngFig. 16

Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part number for the replacement oil filter for the vehicle being serviced.

For additional information, refer to Bulletin #22-NA-009.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, redwngr said:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=15777

New Torque Specification and Installation Procedure for ACDelco Spin-On Oil Filters

January 19, 2022

A new torque specification has been released for ACDelco spin-on oil filters installed on 2000-2022 GM models equipped with a gasoline engine. The new specification is in response to possible oil leaks coming from underneath the front of the vehicle after a prior oil change service was performed. In some cases, the oil leak may take several thousand miles to occur.

If an oil leak is seen, it may be coming from between the oil filter gasket and the mounting surface. (Fig. 15) The filter also may be very easy to remove, or may be able to be removed by hand.

F15-filter-2.pngFig. 15

The revised installation specification for all spin-on oil filters PF64, PF63, PF48, PF66, UPF64R, UPF63R, UPF48R and UPF66R is:

1. Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the oil filter one (1) full turn after the gasket makes contact with the sealing surface on the filter mounting flange. If installing with a torque wrench, it should be approximately 10 Nm of torque.

The specification will be updated in Service Information and the label on the oil filters. (Fig. 16)

F16-filter-1.pngFig. 16

Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part number for the replacement oil filter for the vehicle being serviced.

For additional information, refer to Bulletin #22-NA-009.

Is this because  gasoline fuels at 3-10%+ in our engine oils compromises the seal  so the seal that was designed for engine oil is allowing seepage over a normal OLM directed drain?

Saw this the other day and wondered how a ~1/4 turn increase would need to be introduced as gospel. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Transient said:

Wix's biggest selling point about a decade ago was that no NASCAR engine ever failed as a result of one of their filters.  This was when Wix was a NASCAR sponsor.  Not sure if they still are, and not sure if that statement remains true. 

Never knew that they were a NASCAR sponsor haha

15 hours ago, Transient said:

That is because Wix had special made filters for the NASCAR group.  They do not run off the Napa shelf filters.  Marketing at its best.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, customboss said:

Is this because  gasoline fuels at 3-10%+ in our engine oils compromises the seal  so the seal that was designed for engine oil is allowing seepage over a normal OLM directed drain?

Saw this the other day and wondered how a ~1/4 turn increase would need to be introduced as gospel. 

I would like to quiz the engineering team that decided putting a GDI high side pump inside the motor 😱 about the wisdom of such a move. But then; anyone that would submerge a computer in 200 F ATF would be able to give a reasonable answer anyway. [6L80E TCM] :idiot:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, customboss said:

No.  Its because GM redesigned the filter again and put a new gasket that is thicker than what they were using prior.  Needs more tightness to seal.  We've had plenty come back already for leaking filters.  

New one is the thicker one.

IMG_2346.thumb.jpg.f1aeb6ba019c06f6c9ab8d44022a25e1.jpg

1165514526_IMG_2345(1).thumb.jpg.33b4e903f7882fccd70114f74a0a47aa.jpg

IMG_2344.thumb.jpg.a9373893cdddc7866f5ff2f57f06fdb1.jpg

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newdude said:

No.  Its because GM redesigned the filter again and put a new gasket that is thicker than what they were using prior.  Needs more tightness to seal.  We've had plenty come back already for leaking filters.  

So the 70 year practice of "to touch and 3/4 turn' has gone the way of stating the cracking temperature of a thermostat as the standard practice. Much easier to place the world in it's head introducing countless confusion than use the right gasket. :rollin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newdude said:

New one is the thicker one.

IMG_2346.thumb.jpg.f1aeb6ba019c06f6c9ab8d44022a25e1.jpg

1165514526_IMG_2345(1).thumb.jpg.33b4e903f7882fccd70114f74a0a47aa.jpg

IMG_2344.thumb.jpg.a9373893cdddc7866f5ff2f57f06fdb1.jpg

Begs the question of WHY a engineering change to a thicker gasket? Thanks for sharing newdude.