Correct oil filter for 2021 5.3L engine

I may be wrong but the pats game manufacturers play is why I use some after market parts. This oil filter mess is a good example. I can't remember the last time I used an OEM oil filter. There's always a better after market one. 

I used Fram for years and most were the cheap ones. Fram does make some good filters if you pay the price for them. 

I'm a middle of the road guy, not the cheap and not the best. Been using Wix XP and Purolator One lately. 

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

That is because Wix had special made filters for the NASCAR group.  They do not run off the Napa shelf filters.  Marketing at its best.

Iirc, only the NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix.  Part numbers are pretty much the same, too.

Edited by Transient

Purolator is made and owned by MANN+HAMMEL who also make WIX, FILTORN & of course MANN filters

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/brands.html

I would assume that as NAPA is a WIX............

That does not mean they all are built alike or to the same standard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

I use the Mobil 1 filter.  M-112A I believe it is.  (I also use their oil).

Last I knew Mobil1  was contract made by Champion Labs under contract and they are owned by First Brands. 

The key is the media and some brands actually have or own IP on really good media paper.  Cummins Filtration ( formerly FleetGuard ) makes some awesome one-off media papers like Donaldson that sadly can't be accessed by smaller engine owners but in HD trucks and equipment including military filter really well and hold up longer with good life and efficiency.  If you can cross reference a MicroPore media filter from Cummins to your application is awesome. Same with top of the line Donaldson.  

I THINK that last I tested oil filter papers and construction Donaldson was making Amsoil EaO oil filters.  At least the paper. 

First Brands owns  FRAM now too. 

Fram medias are really good especially the higher end filters. Racing filters bias for flow not filtering so be careful thinking a racing filter is better. 

WIX XP media is exceptional and can be accessed via NAPA filters but you have to check the tech sheets to know for sure.  

Having said all this the oil filter in modern engines is a last resort filter, it's not going to remove fuel deposits or residuals and liquid filters are most efficient the moment they are put in use and degrade from there.  They use the change of direction of the liquid to flip the particles into trapping in the paper. So as they load that directional change velocity is slowed. 

Air filtration just the opposite the "cake" on an automotive air filter gets more efficient with time unless its torn or leaks, oiled or serviced, and then the media can be micro torn or damaged and will allow air and dirt through those micro tears allowing intake air unfiltered to cause wear. 

Your air filter being free flowing and efficient with reasonable capacity is more important than the oil filter but you need a good oil filter of course for the lifters failing in our engines......LOL  

About First Brands Group, LLC:
First Brands Group, LLC (formerly TRICO Group) is a global automotive parts manufacturer that serves the worldwide automotive aftermarket industry with best-in-class technology and engineering capabilities. Our portfolio includes Raybestos® complete brake solutions, LuberFiner® filtration products, FRAM® filtration products, TRICO® wiper blades, Carter® fuel and water pumps, ANCO® wiper blades, StrongArm® lift supports, and Autolite® spark plugs. First Brands Group is a world-class automotive parts manufacturing delivering high customer service and growth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 10:48 AM, customboss said:

Having said all this the oil filter in modern engines is a last resort filter, it's not going to remove fuel deposits or residuals and liquid filters are most efficient the moment they are put in use and degrade from there.  They use the change of direction of the liquid to flip the particles into trapping in the paper. So as they load that directional change velocity is slowed. 

Oil filter isn't there to filter out soluble products, fuels deposits.  Isn't there to remove lacquers from solved materials. It's there to filter out precipitated amalgamates from super saturated solutes and over burdened dispersants the result of depleted additives. To remove particulates of ingress past poor air filtration on the clean air side of the PCV system and to a lesser degree those from poor poor primary air filtration for combustion. To protect 'further' ancillary damage of a motors undergoing self destruction. And while not a sieve type absolute particle size passing system it works EXACTLY like any other filter media and does improve filter efficiency with use BUT DOES DEGRAGE IN FLOW EFFICIENCY with use. If it did not, it would never plug or ever go into bypass. You would never need to change it. Yes the path is convoluted and unlike a mechanical screen and yes the dynamics are different but effective and functionally equivalent none the less. 

Both remove smaller and smaller particulates as they load and both loose flow rate as they load. One of the reasons the multi-pass test is the bench mark. 😉 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Oil filter isn't there to filter out soluble products, fuels deposits.  Isn't there to remove lacquers from solved materials. It's there to filter out precipitated amalgamates from super saturated solutes and over burdened dispersants the result of depleted additives. To remove particulates of ingress past poor air filtration on the clean air side of the PCV system and to a lesser degree those from poor poor primary air filtration for combustion. To protect 'further' ancillary damage of a motors undergoing self destruction. And while not a sieve type absolute particle size passing system it works EXACTLY like any other filter media and does improve filter efficiency with use BUT DOES DEGRAGE IN FLOW EFFICIENCY with use. If it did not, it would never plug or ever go into bypass. You would never need to change it. Yes the path is convoluted and unlike a mechanical screen and yes the dynamics are different but effective and functionally equivalent none the less. 

Both remove smaller and smaller particulates as they load and both loose flow rate as they load. One of the reasons the multi-pass test is the bench mark. 😉 

Agree with your explanation above except fluid filters become less efficient as they load. Fluid flow across the media changing its direction is what  ( slings for lack of a better term the particles). Fluid filters are as efficient as the media design. "Cake" DOES NOT build on liquid filters like an air filter. Liquid filters can only trap what particle range they are designed for so a bypass oil filter may trap 5 um or lower but allow 20 past. Why engine makers that use bypass filtration will also have full flow to catch larger particles. 

22 minutes ago, customboss said:

Agree with your explanation above except fluid filters become less efficient as they load. Fluid flow across the media changing its direction is what  ( slings for lack of a better term the particles). Fluid filters are as efficient as the media design. "Cake" DOES NOT build on liquid filters like an air filter. Liquid filters can only trap what particle range they are designed for so a bypass oil filter may trap 5 um or lower but allow 20 past. Why engine makers that use bypass filtration will also have full flow to catch larger particles. 

Lets ask a question. Define "caking"

https://www.oberlinfilter.com/how-the-filter-works

WER 5300 - Principles of Filtration - Pall Corporation

Second link document numbered page 14 column 1 section 7

With surface type filters, or fixed random pore depth type filters,one selects a medium which will not change its structure under system-produced stress. For example, as system pressure rises to accommodate flow as filter cake builds,

Filter cake is just the trapped material building on/in the media whose ever building presence presents ever smaller pores. Oil filters have a maximum dirt holding capacity which is based on pressure drop whose mere statement says the dirt held that is increasing the pressure drop is also doing so at a greater efficiency. 

Second link document page 11 figure 11

The whole point of synthetic media is to provide more pore density without increasing filter size to increase filter life while decreasing 'average' pore size for finer filtration at the same or less pressure drop. 

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

Read paragraph "Dirt Holding Capacity" while giving this a look: 

Cellulose and Synthetic Filter Media

Yes Sir, " cake " in filtration is using the deposited contaminants as an ever increasing  filtering efficiency method.  IMHO Pall using that for automotive filtration is inappropriate. 

"Cake"  will interrupt surface, depth, cross flow filtration.  Cake is a contaminant agglomerating on its self and by the time you get that level of efficiency in an automotive application you might as well not use a full flow filter.  

In modern oil filters you don't do that or you sacrifice flow and filtering efficiency  targeting the  damaging particle size to be trapped for the design of the engine in this case. 

Media has to be designed to flow, filter, and last long enough to save your engine. 

There are industrial applications where cake is a desired technique but not in automotive engines.  Cake might be a desired method but not in our engines. 

Cake is an unfortunate term that is more suited to non liquid filtration but certainly not automotive engine lubricant dynamic.  

Here's a video that describes ideal oil filtration with a combination stacked disc bypass, full flow with a media that can filter fine but still flow well, and a venturi to help draw clean lube liquid through the filter.

None of this design nor any oil filter for automotive service is relying on surface cake to get the job done properly. 

Now on air filters because air is different than liquid you will build a cake over time and it will slow air flow.  Some media does better to improve the flow in spite of a certain amount of loading but eventually the cake ( dirt ) wins the day and impedes air flow. 

Apologies its Cummins Fleetguard but I am familiar with their engineering since I tested them. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I would like to quiz the engineering team that decided putting a GDI high side pump inside the motor 😱 about the wisdom of such a move. But then; anyone that would submerge a computer in 200 F ATF would be able to give a reasonable answer anyway. [6L80E TCM] :idiot:

As an IT professional there actually can be a reason why you would want a computer or chip to be at a temperature like that and that is to keep it at a constant temperature for operation purposes.  It has generally been cheaper and easier to keep a temperature above room temp, so in most cases this is what was done.  However, in this case I sincerely doubt that GM designed the TCM to be at a constant operating temp of 200F, they just did it to make it easier in some way to build it on the line.  Its not like its an old core memory or bubble memory module that can only operate at a designed temperature.

53 minutes ago, customboss said:

None of this design nor any oil filter for automotive service is relying on surface cake to get the job done properly. 

Never said it did 😉. Rely on it that is.

Said a cake can not be avoided IF the filter is actually collecting material. No one said how thick that cake is. 

Media filters like those used in the automotive mainstream are not classified nor compared to a specific micron size. The test as you are well aware are tied to a Beta Ratio AT as specific micron size. 20 micron. But it filters all particles with variance in efficiency. This is the efficiency curve for the filter I use. PL22500. Cost me nothing but the ask. 

image.thumb.png.c0d6519e1bad8c22ece5afde8f021460.png

Actual particle counts  and ISO code from a virgin Mobil 1 5W30.

ISO 4406 code 22/20/25

(That ISO code is one step from "unfit for service")

4um = 21,400

6um = 8,450

10 um = 1558

14 um = 173

18 um = 68

21um = 47

38 um = 10

50um = 7

Same crankcase after some miles of AMSOIL EaO filtration, no extra bypass

ISO 4406 code 14/13/11

4um = 128

6um = 70

14um = 12

25um = 2

Nope, no cake required but it does not get worse with use and that IS the point I disagree with. 

Grumpy Bear, if you are collecting surface cake on media of an oil filter you have some other serious issues rather than normal wear and tear. 

I explained cake, you can take it or leave your surface filter cake.....LOL  

I have seen these particle counts used as a marketing tool for bypass filters over the years and there are usually two causes of the high  ISO codes that mistake harmful debris for 

1) water condensation of the clean reference sample, we don't call them virgin....aren't any virgins at XOM....LOL    Water in very low level reflects the particle counter and amplifies the readings. 

2) the unactivated additive package.  

What????    " Nope, no cake required but it does not get worse with use and that IS the point I disagree with. 

Confused.  Please reframe that comment question ? 

Yea.... We simply have a different definition of the word CAKE. I do not define it as an even depth of X dimension of particulate completely covering the media with a moisture content of Z on days ending in Y. To me, it is ANYTHING the filter is holding. If my filter isn't catching something....no need for a filter. What is trapped is not dependent on what it trapped but what is trapped helps trap other smaller trappable stuff. :crackup:A filter does not become less efficient trapping stuff because it is doing it job. It becomes less pressure efficient and I've never said otherwise. That filter has a dirt capacity of xyz grams that is hard to get ahold of. Filter manufactures use in lieu of grams a consumer would never know or a pressure drop no retail motor has,  miles of service based on statistical probabilities data provides plus a fat safety factor. They can do this because that data is KNOWABLE to a degree that it matters. 

Here's the conversation I don't entertain with anyone; friends, foes or gods. Those that say that you can't measure a thing as the act of measurement alters that measurement. True in particle physics...not in counting sheep or dirt in an oil filter. I will not go down that rabbit hole. I don't care if water interferes with getting and EXACT value by some amount nobody cares about but the academics. I care if the result is directionally better or worse. The ISO 4406 is a LOG scale. Could be 20% in particle count off and still generate the same ISO code. 

I use to draw lube oil samples on HUGE turbines (186,000 hp) and cleanliness is a routine test. It can be done. It is done. It's an industrial standard. What good are they if not reliable? What good is any sample by that measure? Error is part of life. Statistics and god sort out the rest. 

It really is that simple.....to any degree it actually matters in practice. 

• Like 2