Correct oil filter for 2021 5.3L engine

Sorry Grump and Custom.

You two would argue/discuss what color the sky is. 🙂

If you change an oil filter regularly it will perform satisfactorily, agree. Simple. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Sorry Grump and Custom.

If you change an oil filter regularly it will perform satisfactorily, agree. Simple. 

As often as they say you should change the oil and filter. The cheapest at Walmart would do just fine. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Sorry Grump and Custom.

Don't be sorry diyer2. @customboss and I never draw blood.  Nothing intentional anyway. 

In this exchange a laundry list of 'resources' was presented for he benefit of ALL. Resources few would look up for themselves. Tell me I'm wrong :crackup:The general public is more likely to actually look at them if they think there is some blood being spilled. Humans are just weird. 

Story goes my dad, as a young man mind you, and his best friend would go into town on Friday night and tip a few. Get into an argument over something or other. Beat each other bloody in the parking lot. Crawl home then go fishing then next afternoon after bailing hay all morning with a nasty hangover. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yea.... We simply have a different definition of the word CAKE. I do not define it as an even depth of X dimension of particulate completely covering the media with a moisture content of Z on days ending in Y. To me, it is ANYTHING the filter is holding. If my filter isn't catching something....no need for a filter. What is trapped is not dependent on what it trapped but what is trapped helps trap other smaller trappable stuff. :crackup:A filter does not become less efficient trapping stuff because it is doing it job. It becomes less pressure efficient and I've never said otherwise. That filter has a dirt capacity of xyz grams that is hard to get ahold of. Filter manufactures use in lieu of grams a consumer would never know or a pressure drop no retail motor has,  miles of service based on statistical probabilities data provides plus a fat safety factor. They can do this because that data is KNOWABLE to a degree that it matters. 

Here's the conversation I don't entertain with anyone; friends, foes or gods. Those that say that you can't measure a thing as the act of measurement alters that measurement. True in particle physics...not in counting sheep or dirt in an oil filter. I will not go down that rabbit hole. I don't care if water interferes with getting and EXACT value by some amount nobody cares about but the academics. I care if the result is directionally better or worse. The ISO 4406 is a LOG scale. Could be 20% in particle count off and still generate the same ISO code. 

I use to draw lube oil samples on HUGE turbines (186,000 hp) and cleanliness is a routine test. It can be done. It is done. It's an industrial standard. What good are they if not reliable? What good is any sample by that measure? Error is part of life. Statistics and god sort out the rest. 

It really is that simple.....to any degree it actually matters in practice. 

I hear you loud and clear.  

There are two main methods of particle counting but if its a combustion engine oil you are not looking at a gear box or turbine where combustion and associated issues aren't NORMALLY adding things to the oil that can affect the reading. 

The additives in a gear, hydraulic, or turbine oil aren't IC engine additives either. 

From Eurofins services: 

Understanding Particle Counting Methods

Particle counting is considered by many to be one of the most important test for used oil analysis. Many problems can be quickly and easily identified by monitoring the number and size-distribution of particles in an oil sample. The ISO Code is the most common unit of reporting the number of particles found in a sample. 

There are a few test methods that can be used to determine the particle count in a sample.

Using the flow decay method, a sample of oil is passed oil through a calibrated screen that acts like a filter. As the oil is pushed through the screen more and more, hard particles “clog” the screen preventing the flow of oil. Based on how quickly the screen is clogged, which impacts oil flow, the instrument translates that data into a particle count with an ISO code. The important takeaway from this method is that it only accounts for hard particles such as wear metal and dirt.

On the other hand, the optical particle count instrument as oil flows through a cell within the instrument a laser is shown through the sample. Hard and soft particles alike will impede the laser showing a shadow on the detector. The detector counts the number of shadows and their sizes to give the particle count and ISO code. The important takeaway from this method is that it considers both hard and soft contaminants as particles. Soft contaminants, or particles, include materials such as water, air bubbles, contaminating lubes, and varnish.

More often than not, the optical particle count is higher than the pore blockage because that method counts many additional materials as particles. We feel that both provide good data; however, choosing one method over the other depends on your goals. If your goal is to determine how “dirty” the oil is in the traditional sense (hard particles from wear and dirt) TestOil recommend's pore blockage. If your goal is to identify all possibilities of ingression (hard and soft particles like those mentioned in the previous paragraph) request the optical particle count method. 

We do have other customers that use both methods. Just remember, if you see a significant difference between the results of each method, that can indicate water, air bubbles, varnish, etc. - in addition to typical dirt and wear metal."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Sorry Grump and Custom.

We are discussing, not arguing a position. We both want facts.  I love how well Grumpy engages its refreshing!  

Diyer2, you can mask issues ( that can get worse) with oil changes and never solve a underlying problem. I agree fresh oil and filter are good but I want to know how to make it better and AVOID a problem that was" raising its hand that I need attention" but I masked it until it became serious.   Same with better MPG etc, I can lower costs of operation over the life of a given GM truck by solving a simple issue before it harms my pocket book or the unit. 

I understand your point and in general thats accepted practice but I guess my nit noid engineering background ruins me not to dig a bit deeper.  

Cheers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

As often as they say you should change the oil and filter. The cheapest at Walmart would do just fine. 

Absolutely true Karnut, provided you aren't missing something by doing so.  Walmart oil is made by one of the best oil blenders in the business. Why Amazon uses them too!  

The complexity and electrification of our trucks now makes keeping the mechanics working as ideally as we can so we don't cause secondary issues that the thresholds of programming and sensing can't handle. 

16 minutes ago, customboss said:

Absolutely true Karnut, provided you aren't missing something by doing so.  Walmart oil is made by one of the best oil blenders in the business. Why Amazon uses them too!  

The complexity and electrification of our trucks now makes keeping the mechanics working as ideally as we can so we don't cause secondary issues that the thresholds of programming and sensing can't handle. 

Generally speaking I don’t mind giving special attention to special engines, high performance engines. Or special care for longevity. For a regular daily vehicle that’s nothing special like my CRV or Avalanche the most minimal fuss the better. My wife’s Genesis or Acura I’m a little more picky. If the manual says I can go 7500 or 10K miles of normal maintenance for normal driving. That’s what I expect. Years ago when I drove a lot I went 25K on Amsoil. Never a problem. I don’t drive that much with one vehicle, some get once a year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Generally speaking I don’t mind giving special attention to special engines, high performance engines. Or special care for longevity. For a regular daily vehicle that’s nothing special like my CRV or Avalanche the most minimal fuss the better. My wife’s Genesis or Acura I’m a little more picky. If the manual says I can go 7500 or 10K miles of normal maintenance for normal driving. That’s what I expect. Years ago when I drove a lot I went 25K on Amsoil. Never a problem. I don’t drive that much with one vehicle, some get once a year.

It's a valid position.  Since forced into retirement we live on a thin shekel and we can only afford 1 rolling stock.  So keeping it running and not spending too much of SS or VA disability is key to survival.  On the farm my Dad thought changing oil was something you did once a year. LOL  

I went to 4H and learned different and all the sudden our ancient DC Case tractor and pull behind combine etc broke less and worked better when we needed them to.  

Military made me a nut about service and maintenance. When I crewed helicopters in the 70's I wondered why we ran synthetics in everything including grease on that Kaman H-2 when for cars you had to take what came from the ground.  Thats what made AJ Amatuzio engage HATCO to develop a API certified full synthetic in the first place. Jets he flew as a fighter pilot all used synthetics. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, customboss said:

It's a valid position.  Since forced into retirement we live on a thin shekel and we can only afford 1 rolling stock.  So keeping it running and not spending too much of SS or VA disability is key to survival.  On the farm my Dad thought changing oil was something you did once a year. LOL  

I went to 4H and learned different and all the sudden our ancient DC Case tractor and pull behind combine etc broke less and worked better when we needed them to.  

Military made me a nut about service and maintenance. When I crewed helicopters in the 70's I wondered why we ran synthetics in everything including grease on that Kaman H-2 when for cars you had to take what came from the ground.  Thats what made AJ Amatuzio engage HATCO to develop a API certified full synthetic in the first place. Jets he flew as a fighter pilot all used synthetics. 

When we discovered Amsoil our business was new. We work every available hour to build our business. Extending oil changes in our equipment and trucks allowed us to work more. Time was money. Our equipment and hydraulics lasted longer. We were the test. We did back it up initially with analysis early on. Amsoil is the real deal. If anything has changed, it’s the engines. I stay away from the sensitive ones. If I was going to buy a GM today it would be the four cylinder. Doing more with less. 

• Thanks 1