Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've been scouring the internet with no luck. I have a 1988 GMC Sierra V6. It's only a two-wheel drive. And I haven't been able to find any specs in regards to towing capacity.

I realize that any capacity would be very minimal but I'm just looking for a rough ballpark. Does anyone have any idea with the stock components how much I might be able to tow with this thing?

Looking to pull a small boat approx 900 lbs.

Thanks.

you should be ok but if you want the specs try downloading the owners manual. it should be in there. where you have the base model truck it probably has fairly small brakes but 900lbs isn't even as much as the gvw payload. take a good look at the receiver or bumper brackets where its an older truck depending on your hitch setup. Reese hitches tend to rust away over time,oem doesn't have that problem but check where it mounts to the frame I had 1 tear off loading a car onto a trailer

On 1/27/2022 at 5:25 AM, richard wysong said:

you should be ok but if you want the specs try downloading the owners manual. it should be in there. where you have the base model truck it probably has fairly small brakes but 900lbs isn't even as much as the gvw payload. take a good look at the receiver or bumper brackets where its an older truck depending on your hitch setup. Reese hitches tend to rust away over time,oem doesn't have that problem but check where it mounts to the frame I had 1 tear off

Thanks for the help!  I'm new to this and doing my best to learn.  Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on the forum.   

What do you suggest for a newbie for fortifying an old girl like the 88 Sierra?

From what I've been reading cooling system/ better transmission and beefier brakes for sure.

Think I can get the tow capacity up to around 2000 lbs if I reinforce the old girl or should I just enjoy as is?