What size tire is everyone running on stock suspension...

I'm going to throw a little more aggressive tire on my 2500.  Stock wheels, stock suspension....is sticking with the stock 275/65/20 what most are running?  I debated on throwing a 35 on but not sure if I want to go down that road.  Just wondering if everyone stays pretty stock if they don't have a lift/level, or do you prefer a little wider, taller tire?

I have 2 sets of A/M 20" wheels.  First set is 20x9 +18 with 295/65/20, they fit with no mods on stock suspension.  I also have a chrome set for summer, 20x9 +10 with 295/65/20 Nitto G2's.  The +10's needed the front of the fender liner pulled back just a bit (took 5 minutes) and they fit now as well with no rubbing.  The slightly wider offset and larger tire makes the stance look much better IMO.

For me it's a Catch-22.  I like the look of larger tires but like the performance of the OEM size.  I am on my 4th DMax.  My new one is a 2022 that I will get in a couple days after they add the sealants.  I did get to see it today and test drive it.

Mine has 275/70R18 tires on it.  That is a 33" tire and the truck drives great.  It  is very peppy off the line and accelerates very well.  It's very close to the 2020 6.2 Max Tow--with factory performance intake and performance exhaust--I just traded.  I think the 6.2 Max Tow would beat a 2500 DMax at sea level.  After all, it weighs 2000 lbs less and only has 10 less HP.  As the elevation increases the DMax would win.  

That said, a 35" tire--which many guys run with no clearance issues--will likely hurt the acceleration and fuel mileage some.  My first DMax was a 2002 that I lifted and tuned.  I went though several tuners and programs in fact.  When I had it to the 450 RWHP level I was initially running a 33.4" (295/75R16) tire.  It was great.  Then I went to a 34.6" (315/75R16).

That 315 killed acceleration and fuel mileage.  So I went from 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears and I got the acceleration  and most of the mileage back.  I then added an 500 RWHP EFI live tune.  Then fuel became very expensive and I went to a 32.8" tire (285/75R16) and made a monster.  It could now break the tires loose at 50 MPH. Then a taxi cab rear ended me at 50 MPH while I was completely stopped at an intersection. 

The new trucks make around 400 RWHP stock.  I am sure the new 10 speed tranny will handle a bigger tire than the old six-speeds.  After all, the 275/65/20 is an OEM offering and it is nominally 34" tall.  However, a larger tire will affect acceleration some and perhaps mileage as well.

That said, the bigger tires do look better......

Edited by INTJ
  • Thanks 1

I went from the stock 275/70/18 wich is a 33.2' x 10.8" wide tire to a 295/70/18 which is a 33.4" tall x 11.6" wide. I actually wanted to go with a 285/75/18 but the choices were limited and very expensive. I got a really good deal on some Falken Wild peaks in the 295/70/18 so I went with it and I like it. The picture isn't great but it gives and idea what it looks like.IMG_0472.thumb.jpg.64ee70c14ad77bcd770d42b904c42a77.jpg

Edited by finn5033
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:24 AM, finn5033 said:

I went from the stock 275/70/18 wich is a 33.2' x 10.8" wide tire to a 295/70/18 which is a 33.4" tall x 11.6" wide. I actually wanted to go with a 285/75/18 but the choices were limited and very expensive. I got a really good deal on some Falken Wild peaks in the 295/70/18 so I went with it and I like it. The picture isn't great but it gives and idea what it looks like.

Have the Falken Wild Peak AT3/W on the Ram & very happy with their performance.  Winters in Utah can be pretty challenging with the heavy Cummins up front, but these tires have done really well.  They are confidence inspiring off road, and when towing heavy.  25,000 miles later they are still quiet with even wear, on only two rotations.  Should be even better with the lighter gas engine. :thumbs:

Also considering the Cooper Discovery ST-Maxx, which is slightly over 34" tall on a 295/70/18.  Had real good luck with those tires on a Rubicon where they were definitely abused off road.

6 hours ago, sheath said:

Have the Falken Wild Peak AT3/W on the Ram & very happy with their performance.  Winters in Utah can be pretty challenging with the heavy Cummins up front, but these tires have done really well.  They are confidence inspiring off road, and when towing heavy.  25,000 miles later they are still quiet with even wear, on only two rotations.  Should be even better with the lighter gas engine. :thumbs:

Also considering the Cooper Discovery ST-Maxx, which is slightly over 34" tall on a 295/70/18.  Had real good luck with those tires on a Rubicon where they were definitely abused off road.

I had a set of the Wildpeaks when they first came out on a 1/2 ton Ram I had at the time and they were awesome. I do a lot of Ice fishing so I always have to have good tires and I got the Wildpeaks again because of the price and what I know you get. There are a lot of different tires I've wanted to try and have been hesitant to pull the trigger because of road noise. I tried Atturo Trail Blade X/T's and returned them right away because they were loud. Same with Duratracs, I don't know how so many poeple have those cause I think they are loud. I really wanted to get the ST-Maxx's but I've heard they are loud too. At my ripe old age of 40 I care more about comfort and quiet then I used too

Edited by finn5033

21 hours ago, finn5033 said:

I had a set of the Wildpeaks when they first came out on a 1/2 ton Ram I had at the time and they were awesome. I do a lot of Ice fishing so I always have to have good tires and I got the Wildpeaks again because of the price and what I know you get. There are a lot of different tires I've wanted to try and have been hesitant to pull the trigger because of road noise. I tried Atturo Trail Blade X/T's and returned them right away because they were loud. Same with Duratracs, I don't know how so many poeple have those cause I think they are loud. I really wanted to get the ST-Maxx's but I've heard they are loud too. At my ripe old age of 40 I care more about comfort and quiet then I used too

I had 35" S/T Maxx on a Rubicon 4 door.  They were really great on and off road.  They were really abused in the rocks at low pressures, and still rolled right down the road.  Wind noise was much louder than tires.  But a 4,000 lbs Jeep is no HD truck... lol   That said, if they're in stock and the Falkens aren't, I would buy them.

Test run before heading up to the Rubicon trail.

Carnegie-6-15-bending-rubbe.jpg

Carnegie-6-15-rocks.jpg

3 minutes ago, sheath said:

I had 35" S/T Maxx on a Rubicon 4 door.  They were really great on and off road.  They were really abused in the rocks at low pressures, and still rolled right down the road.  Wind noise was much louder than tires.  But a 4,000 lbs Jeep is no HD truck... lol   That said, if they're in stock and the Falkens aren't, I would buy them.

Test run before heading up to the Rubicon trail.

Carnegie-6-15-bending-rubbe.jpg

Carnegie-6-15-rocks.jpg

Good to know, I'll keep them in mind next time cause I always wanted to try them. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, TheeSpaniard3500hd said:

I’m running 295/65/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with 20” Fuel’s in +20.  Fits stock suspension with no rubbing issues. 

B2E76F5B-7A26-4BE5-8DE1-9719FD733D55.jpeg

BFE02CB5-4CF3-4DE0-91E8-EE95DE7F1604.jpeg

I bought some 20x10 +13mm offset wheels that I'm going to likely try the new Recon grapplers on in a 295/65/20. I'm glad I found this post because it gives me hope that it will work without having to raise the front at all. From all the researching I've done I think 20" wheels and this size tire is the perfect match for these trucks

23 hours ago, finn5033 said:

I bought some 20x10 +13mm offset wheels that I'm going to likely try the new Recon grapplers on in a 295/65/20. I'm glad I found this post because it gives me hope that it will work without having to raise the front at all. From all the researching I've done I think 20" wheels and this size tire is the perfect match for these trucks

I would verify if his wheels are 20x9 or 20x10.  My 20x9 +10's with 295/65/20 needed the front liner pulled back.  Very easy to do though, my truck is stock.

11 hours ago, CRApex said:

I would verify if his wheels are 20x9 or 20x10.  My 20x9 +10's with 295/65/20 needed the front liner pulled back.  Very easy to do though, my truck is stock.

They are for sure 20x10 +13mm offset. Thanks for the reply, sounds like hopefully I won’t have to raise the front, if I just have to adjust the liner I’m good with that.