Silverado 1500 Low speed clunking noise

2021 Silverado 1500 RST diesel w/ less than 7k miles. I get a dull, irregular clunking noise when going over bumps or rough road at low speed ie. maneuvering in a parking lot. My son had a similar issue that his dealer corrected, in his words, by "replacing plastic leaf spring bushings with rubber bushings". My dealer has no TSB reference or replacement part numbers that would apply. They replaced bushings and retorqued leaf springs but that did not correct the problem. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

It's just typical GM leaf springs. Every truck since my 98 has done it. Homemade fix, but bicycle tubes, cut them in like 6" lengths and spread the springs apart to slip them between. Acts like a rubber insulator and I only had to replace them every 3-4 years. Haven't done it to the new truck yet but I'm sure I will in the summer.

6 hours ago, latreille89 said:

It's just typical GM leaf springs. Every truck since my 98 has done it. Homemade fix, but bicycle tubes, cut them in like 6" lengths and spread the springs apart to slip them between. Acts like a rubber insulator and I only had to replace them every 3-4 years. Haven't done it to the new truck yet but I'm sure I will in the summer.

Thank you sir, but seems like there should be an actual GM fix. Drove an '09 Sierra 2500HD for over 10 years and never had the problem. Maybe it's just the 1500's?

25 minutes ago, Chris Christensen said:

Thank you sir, but seems like there should be an actual GM fix. Drove an '09 Sierra 2500HD for over 10 years and never had the problem. Maybe it's just the 1500's?

Could be just the 1500s. I don’t care if gm fixes it or not. Still enjoy the trucks and I don’t mind my fix.

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, Chris Christensen said:

2021 Silverado 1500 RST diesel w/ less than 7k miles. I get a dull, irregular clunking noise when going over bumps or rough road at low speed ie. maneuvering in a parking lot. My son had a similar issue that his dealer corrected, in his words, by "replacing plastic leaf spring bushings with rubber bushings". My dealer has no TSB reference or replacement part numbers that would apply. They replaced bushings and retorqued leaf springs but that did not correct the problem. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

• 8 months later...

I have the same clunking noise in the front end of my 2022 Silverado 1500 limited (LTD) (refreshed) rst duramax. I installed a leveling kit the first week I had it. I thought that was the problem so I retorqued it. Still same problem. The noise is getting worse. Anyone have a solution or advice?

15 hours ago, Matt soflo said:

I have the same clunking noise in the front end of my 2022 Silverado 1500 limited (LTD) (refreshed) rst duramax. I installed a leveling kit the first week I had it. I thought that was the problem so I retorqued it. Still same problem. The noise is getting worse. Anyone have a solution or advice?

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Matt soflo.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Matt soflo/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...

Bumping & clunking noise from new 2023 Chevy Silverado custom crew cab 4x4 truck. Noise Underneath rear at turning,low speeds, backing up. Had it in dealership 3 hours, teck heard it, torc bolts & greased leaf springs. Noise Worse now. Teck says he talked to service manager & was gonna call GM & call me. Been 3 days no word. 

14 hours ago, Mike Santifer said:

Bumping & clunking noise from new 2023 Chevy Silverado custom crew cab 4x4 truck. Noise Underneath rear at turning,low speeds, backing up. Had it in dealership 3 hours, teck heard it, torc bolts & greased leaf springs. Noise Worse now. Teck says he talked to service manager & was gonna call GM & call me. Been 3 days no word. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Mike Santifer.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2023 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Mike Santifer/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 6 months later...

I saw the email address above and I thought I would attempt to get some resolution on my specific truck.

VIN number included in email i sent to GM.

I had the clunk noise coming from the rear of my truck when going over small bumps such as turning into my driveway.

I took the vehicle to Karl Chevrolet in Ankeny, Iowa.  I told the service advisor there was a Technical Service Bulletin (21-200) on the rear leaf springs.  The service technician diagnosis was the rear shocks were bad (did not rebound correctly, and were different lengths when extended).  The dealership replaced the rear shocks.  Noise was still present.  I understand the TSB had a correction date and applies to 2019 and 2020 trucks, but the condition was present on my 2022.

I setup another service appointment for the same reason, but also reported my rear slider window was leaking and the air conditioner was not cooling.  Service technician diagnosis was rear window has a crack (known issue), the air conditioner had a leak.  The rear clunk was diagnosed as rear axles had too much play.  Rear window was replaced under warranty.  Air Conditioner condenser was replaced under warranty.  Rear axles were replaced under warranty.  Noise was still present.

I answered a dealer survey and thanked the dealer for service on the rear window, condenser and axle replacement but I also told the dealer the noise was still present and I was not satisfied with their solution to stop the clunk noise.

By this point the truck had been to the dealership twice for the same problem.  Parts may have been replaced that were not defective and replaced parts did NOT fix the clunk noise.

I purchased some of the Spring Thingshttps://www.spring-things.com/?msclkid=440fd99d91fb1b19cd63bc184cbc06b0 from the internet, watched the install video on YouTube and installed the items in less than 10 minutes at a cost of $45.  This simple solution fixed the clunk noise and my truck has driven and sounded like when it was new.

While this clunk noise may seem minor compared to major issues like engine, transmission or electronic issues the clunk was to the point it was driving me crazy like a wind noise you can’t resolve.  I contemplated selling my truck and purchasing another brand of truck.

Dave

I have done things like this on previous vehicles that the dealer couldn't seem to find the problem like a squeak, rattle etc and I have found the issue myself but when I did fix the issue I always called the service mechanic manager and inform him of the fix I found to be the problem that way they know what it was and maybe helped someone else, they always thanked me for the issue fix and will take note of it.