Factory rear tint on 2022 ltd

ReZpawN

Does anyone know what the factory rear tint on 2022 silverado ltd ltz is? From what I looked up it's 20% but in Kansas legal requirement for rear windows is 35% so I don't think that's correct unless it's different rear tint depending on the state, I'm currently in florida but moving to Kansas next few months so need tint that will be legal there, what are your recommendations?

8 minutes ago, shewstring said:

That’s the max tint allowed, not the minimum.  It must allow at least 35% light in.  You should be fine.  

It says 20% on my rear windows, doesn't that mean that it only let's 20% of light in which is from the factory and would be illegal in kansas?

Factory window tint level is compliant for all 50 states as far as I know.  70% or higher light transmittance on the front two and the windshield, rears are 20% transmittance.

There is only two rear glass # options, one is standard solar glass, the other privacy glass.  GM also has printed on all glass the transmittance level.

#21-NA-152: Information on Glass Ultraviolet (UV) Ray Protection and Tint Percentage - (Jun 28, 2021)

Ultraviolet Ray Protection:

Windshield reduces UV rays down to 4% or less.

Front side door glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less.

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less (Without RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 10% or less if equipped with Privacy Glass (With RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Sunroof reduce to 10% or less.

Tint Percentage:

Windshields are SOLAR glass with a light transmittance of >/=70%.

Front door glass are Solar glass with a light transmission of >/=70%.

Rear door glass, quarter windows and back windows can use either Solar glass (>/=70%) or Privacy glass, which has a light transmittance of (nominally) 20%.

*Basically, if the glass is 'light green' in color, it is solar glass. If it is the dark gray/black glass, it is Privacy glass.

6 minutes ago, newdude said:

Factory window tint level is compliant for all 50 states as far as I know.  70% or higher light transmittance on the front two and the windshield, rears are 20% transmittance.

There is only two rear glass # options, one is standard solar glass, the other privacy glass.  GM also has printed on all glass the transmittance level.

Should I still get clear ceramic or would it make no difference on windshield since it's already uv reducing?

And just do enough on the front to get it to match 20% on the rear?

12 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

I thought you could do anything in the back as long as front is not tinted? 

Depends on the state.  I know in PA and NC you can black out the back glass if you wanted too as long has you had the two side mirrors.

"If you are in an auto accident that you believe was caused by the other driver’s tinted windows, be sure to take pictures of the car and the scene before the evidence is removed or destroyed. Indeed, whether the windows were tinted could become an important part of the theory of liability that your experienced personal injury attorney uses to help you recover financial damages for your injury."

First off the rear windows are not tinted!  They are just dyed class. They reject no heat or harmful UV light like standard tint does!  The ceramic solar guard my buddy uses rejects 99% harmful UV rays along with heat rejection. I can’t recall % of heat rejection off the bat right now. But it’s a high number. 

The back windows will register around 27% on a tint meter.  These newer vehicles are lighter than older model ones from the 2000’s.

I would suggest putting on at least 50% ceramic tint on back just to get the heat and UV protection for your kids, family members, pets, or any one else you have traveling with you. 

Around 10 years ago we tested a Honda Accord in the summer time. Temp was 90ish with high humidity here in Midwest  Inside of vehicle sitting was 132!!!!!!!!

We then put tint on it and set it back outside. And the temp was 30 degree  difference.  It’s unbelievable how much heat the tint rejects. 

Here is my truck with 30% ceramic all around and 5% window strip.  Here in Iowa we can only have 70% on front windows but I run a little risky!  Have had 3 tickets in 8 years. Now when I lived and grew up in Nebraska, my SS Trailblazer was 5% all around. 

A9622839-16E7-4803-8D43-E2967B11E44D.jpeg

7D07EFFD-F802-4288-AF76-85D786A171BF.jpeg

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, TNTSilverado said:

They reject no heat or harmful UV light like standard tint does!  The ceramic solar guard my buddy uses rejects 99% harmful UV rays along with heat rejection. I can’t recall % of heat rejection off the bat right now. But it’s a high number. 

This is .... fake news.  It clearly states that it rejects both UV and visible light🙄

Your buddy probably has one of those demos with a standard, non-treated piece of glass with a light bulb to show how it's worth buying "ceramic" tint.  This glass is tinted, just not with film.  If you couldn't prevent transmission of UV light without film, how would sunglasses work?

Edited by Rob Mugs

9 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

This is .... fake news.  It clearly states that it rejects both UV and visible light🙄

Your buddy probably has one of those demos with a standard, non-treated piece of glass with a light bulb to show how it's worth buying "ceramic" tint.  This glass is tinted, just not with film.  If you couldn't prevent transmission of UV light without film, how would sunglasses work?

Ok. Whatever you say.  It’s not tinted my friend. It’s just dyed. 

Here is what it states:  Factory tint, officially known as Privacy Glass, is an electrical process called "deep dipping" that involves dying the inside of automotive glass with a dark pigment. Factory tint is standard on the rear half of many new vehicles.

Not fake news. He has done this for 30 years. Went to Las Vegas in 90s and placed 1st in a tint competition. The man knows his $h!t!!!