'22 3500HD Silverado LT CC/SB L8T First long trip drive impression

24 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Here, watch and learn.

That just makes my point. The 6.4L Hemi was designed for automotive use, and repurposed for use in their trucks. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sheath said:

That just makes my point. The 6.4L Hemi was designed for automotive use, and repurposed for use in their trucks. 

No. The 6.4 BGE has design history from previous hemi's, but that's irrelevant. It's NOW a truck engine, designed/modified specifically for usage as found in the 2500. It's not a car engine that they just pulled from their shelf and stuffed into a truck because it makes lots of power.

You're definitely confused. Possibly with the 5.7 hemi as that's exactly what they did with the 5.7; that engine is used  literally everywhere, from the cars to the jeeps to the 1500 and it was even the base engine in the 2500 for years. But the 6.4 BGE (not SRT, BGE) is a truck engine. Full stop.

The other variant, the 6.4 SRT is the car engine that they use in their performance cars, the Jeep Wrangler, and now the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

But the 6.4 BGE; exclusively 2500, and has mechanical differences from the other hemis that were made specifically due to being used exclusively in the 2500.

8 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

No. The 6.4 BGE has design history from previous hemi's, but that's irrelevant. It's NOW a truck engine, designed/modified specifically for usage as found in the 2500. It's not a car engine that they just pulled from their shelf and stuffed into a truck because it makes lots of power.

You're definitely confused. Possibly with the 5.7 hemi as that's exactly what they did with the 5.7; that engine is used  literally everywhere, from the cars to the jeeps to the 1500 and it was even the base engine in the 2500 for years. But the 6.4 BGE (not SRT, BGE) is a truck engine. Full stop.

The other variant, the 6.4 SRT is the car engine that they use in their performance cars, the Jeep Wrangler, and now the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

But the 6.4 BGE; exclusively 2500, and has mechanical differences from the other hemis that were made specifically due to being used exclusively in the 2500.

Keep digging that hole brother. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Thanks for trying, Wanderer, but like Ron White says, “You can’t fix stupid.”  Especially if they have Earnhardt tattoos. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this is interesting. I forgot I had an account here, as I cannot seem to pull up another chevy fullsize forum. I almost bought a 2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4 before Xmas. Was going to order it, figuring it would take 6 months but 3w later he calls me and says, are you ready to order? I said.. uhmmm no, xmas... 

so I have not ordered yet.

Now I am leaning towards the 3500HD AT4 Gas. 

The entire driver behind this is that we are thinking of getting a camper and be the next phase of our life. Our kids have grown and the traveling all over for 2 kids on 3 sports has diminished... 

what is scaring me is the 14-16mpg unloaded part. I will need to have this as my daily as well to which is 60 miles each way to work. That is just scary as my ole 2013 gmc sierra SLE on 35s got 20mpg @65mph....

Any other updates you may have for us? As I am looking at getting a camper, I am interested in your thoughts on the cameras. There is a youtuber that I watch (forget name at this time) and he is a dodge guy and loves the new gmc's, albeit, he said the interior is dated.

1 hour ago, RootBreaker said:

So this is interesting. I forgot I had an account here, as I cannot seem to pull up another chevy fullsize forum. I almost bought a 2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4 before Xmas. Was going to order it, figuring it would take 6 months but 3w later he calls me and says, are you ready to order? I said.. uhmmm no, xmas... 

so I have not ordered yet.

Now I am leaning towards the 3500HD AT4 Gas. 

The entire driver behind this is that we are thinking of getting a camper and be the next phase of our life. Our kids have grown and the traveling all over for 2 kids on 3 sports has diminished... 

what is scaring me is the 14-16mpg unloaded part. I will need to have this as my daily as well to which is 60 miles each way to work. That is just scary as my ole 2013 gmc sierra SLE on 35s got 20mpg @65mph....

Any other updates you may have for us? As I am looking at getting a camper, I am interested in your thoughts on the cameras. There is a youtuber that I watch (forget name at this time) and he is a dodge guy and loves the new gmc's, albeit, he said the interior is dated.

There are a couple of guys on here who have campers, and were discussing what they've done for a rear camera without a tailgate. 

Here is one:

Another JR came up with a really clean solution for the rear view in this thread.

Fuel mileage... Yeah, that's a good question.  From what I've "read", it seems a general consensus is 14-15 mpg.  But you may find more complete info, along with some work arounds to get better mileage.  I don't drive enough for this to be an issue yet.  But we keep getting gouged at the pump, and I may reconsider... lol

On a side note, I added the Snow Plow/Camper package.  That may not be the best choice unless the truck will get some kind of attachment on the front.  The reason I say this is that when I was researching the dual alt/battery system, according to the schematics, there is a relay which gets electrically connected to the Snow Plow electrics, in order to supply input for the aux alternator to function.  I've been too busy to actually look at this on my truck.  If it is I have a work-around by removing the relay and using a jumper in it's place.  But, that could cause an issue with warranty consideration if I were to have an electrical failure in the warranty period.  So maybe not the best choice for everyone.

The schematics only show this for the snowplow package, not the Camper package by itself.

Good luck with your choice.  I've been really enjoying the truck.  :cheers:

19 minutes ago, sheath said:

There are a couple of guys on here who have campers, and were discussing what they've done for a rear camera without a tailgate. 

Here is one:

Another JR came up with a really clean solution for the rear view in this thread.

Fuel mileage... Yeah, that's a good question.  From what I've "read", it seems a general consensus is 14-15 mpg.  But you may find more complete info, along with some work arounds to get better mileage.  I don't drive enough for this to be an issue yet.  But we keep getting gouged at the pump, and I may reconsider... lol

On a side note, I added the Snow Plow/Camper package.  That may not be the best choice unless the truck will get some kind of attachment on the front.  The reason I say this is that when I was researching the dual alt/battery system, according to the schematics, there is a relay which gets electrically connected to the Snow Plow electrics, in order to supply input for the aux alternator to function.  I've been too busy to actually look at this on my truck.  If it is I have a work-around by removing the relay and using a jumper in it's place.  But, that could cause an issue with warranty consideration if I were to have an electrical failure in the warranty period.  So maybe not the best choice for everyone.

The schematics only show this for the snowplow package, not the Camper package by itself.

Good luck with your choice.  I've been really enjoying the truck.  :cheers:

yeah no need for a plow/camper package..

really I question why I even need a 3500... a 2500hd I am told will be sufficient, but for $200 more, why wouldnt you go 3500? unless 2500 gets better mpg... I mean I could forgo the AT4 option and get an SLE with some options like camera, lane assist, etc and get the duramax with it for the same price as the AT4 Gas...

14 hours ago, RootBreaker said:

yeah no need for a plow/camper package..

really I question why I even need a 3500... a 2500hd I am told will be sufficient, but for $200 more, why wouldnt you go 3500? unless 2500 gets better mpg... I mean I could forgo the AT4 option and get an SLE with some options like camera, lane assist, etc and get the duramax with it for the same price as the AT4 Gas...

Mileage should be unaffected by going to the 3500. It is the same truck, just with more payload. Might ride worse though. For the $200 it is a kind of a no brainer if you plan on towing a good sized 5er. 

• Like 1

Agree with 22z712500.  But then I "need" the payload. 

What really helped me decide was doing an honest (and humbling) evaluation on what I was really going to do.  Once I got honest with myself, picking the truck and options was easy.

Something else to consider if you drive a lot is fuel programs.  There are programs for both diesel fuel and gasoline.  That may also help your decision.

Good luck which ever way you go.  :cheers:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:04 PM, RootBreaker said:

That is just scary as my ole 2013 gmc sierra SLE on 35s got 20mpg @65mph....

No, it didn't. There isn't a 2013 gas truck on the planet that's getting 20 mpg @ 65mph on 35" tires. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Update with 3221 miles at the end of April:

Overall I'm still smiling just as much as when I picked it up.  My initial impressions are more accurate than expected.  Figured as I got used to the truck the impression would change.

I've really been enjoying the truck.  It is big, and feels that way.  Getting through tight drive throughs is a curb hoping experience. lol 

I've pulled the 5th wheel up through winding narrow mountain roads, and the truck is responsive in the turns.  Realized how tall the front of the hood is when I was going up and through Angels camp on Highway 4 & 49.  There are short steep rises that immediately drop after the crest, and the whole road just disappears.  lol  The seat is adjusted all the way up with about 3" of headroom. 

Comfort in the cab, and usability is really nice.  Truck feels solid, and is quiet.  Love the exterior color, and the looks/function of the interior.  Screen size seems great, and touch screen is easy to manipulate even on bumpy roads.  Initially I was thinking a larger screen (like on the Dodge and Ford) would be nice, but after using the IOS screen I'm happy with the choice.

Here is the operating cost so far.  13.74mpg fuel mileage is without towing mileage figured in.  It includes short city trips, long mountain back-road trips, and a few highway trips.  Seems the best fuel mileage is steady state driving, even at 70-75mph.  Aside from towing, twisty mountain roads, and city driving are the lowest fuel mileage numbers.  

Date Mileage Fuel / Maintenance Maintenance Type Cost Mileage
02/28/22 371 Fuel   $87.16 14.19
03/01/22 821 Fuel   $110.74 15.60
03/18/22 1126 Fuel   $110.00 12.75
03/31/22   Monthly Cost   $307.90  
04/02/22 1517 Fuel   $145.02 13.02
04/03/22 1738 Fuel   $175.72 7.42
04/03/22 1974 Fuel Partial fill 16.952 gls $100.00 N/A
04/03/22 2053 Fuel Final fill 19.882 gls $105.35 8.55
04/09/22 2398 Fuel Partial fill 17.2446 $100.00 N/A
04/11/22 2488 Fuel Final fill 15.960 $84.57 13.10
04/26/22 2767 Fuel Partial fill 23.152 $125.00 N/A
04/27/22 2966 Fuel Final Fill 16.466 $88.90 12.07
04/28/22 3221 Fuel   $83.39 15.47
    Monthly Cost   $1,007.95 13.74

I’m very happy with my 2021 3500hd gas truck as well. It’s smooth, quiet, doesn’t stink, doesn’t care about short trips, has plenty of power for my needs (carrying a light slide in camper and towing 8k), and just goes with no problems so far at 1 year and 5k miles.  The 6 speed transmission is very well matched to the engine and works great. I do not wish i had a 10 speed. The SLT leather interior is great. The truck cost 65k out the door with 10% sales tax. 

Edited by Another JR
Clarified cost of truck
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on TPMS for truck:

The other day, I dropped the rear pressure to 59psi by mistake.  That triggered a low pressure code, and to turn off the dash warning icon required going above 62psi, and not letting it drop below 62psi.

This duplicates what @Another JR had mentioned with his truck.  Betting he is correct, and 62psi is the low cut-off point.

Not sure how this truck didn't trigger a code the first time rear pressure was dropped to 60psi. Still a much better ride at 62psi, than 80 psi.  I do get emails from "On Star Services" informing me the truck is tattling on me though... lol  

Would be nice if the truck recognized an unloaded tire pressure rating.  In the old Dodge, the tire pressure placard had two ratings. One at full pressure on the rear for loads, one at 45psi when unloaded.  They didn't have tpms as an option back in Oh Seven. 😉

Happy Trails Y'all! :cheers: