10 hours ago, jaysusedcars said:

The ride suffered from pulling the added weight of the extreme heavy E rated tires. The 10 ply E rated tires are also a lot stiffer than a XL tire, hence the tougher ride.

I’d really prefer to go with an XL tire which is why I’m asking if the 305/45/22 would possibly fit.  I’m looking at AT3’s and G2’s so the deeper tread has me concerned they may rub. Thanks 

The 285/50 E is heavier than the stock tires, but not as heavy as the 285/55 you had. You also put them on a 2017. The new chassis and suspension on these 2021's make a huge difference. I'm willing to bet your 21 rides better with the 285/50 E's, than your 17 did with XL highway treads. You also don't have to fill them to 60-80psi. 

I actually tested 285/50/22’ AT3’s on my current 21 Denali and felt the ride suffered. 

If the 305’s will fit I’m thinking that’s a good compromise going to an XL tire that’s quite a bit lighter. 

I’m just not sure if the aggressive tread on the AT3 in a 305 will fit without significant rubbing on the UCA’s. 

ideally the 285/50/22 is the perfect tire, I just wish I could find one in a XL instead of E rated. 

• 2 months later...

Hey Thomas,

Here is my review of the tires in a 20" size. I know its not exactly what you have, but hopefully you still find it useful! 

Edited by XXXII
  • Like 1

Ill be going with the 305/45R22 on my '21 Denali when the time comes, mainly for the slight size increase and the ability to keep a 4ply tire. Personally I would not run the previous generation trucks 285/45R22. Don't get sucked into the whole I want a lot of options thing if it really only comes down to you wanting an AT and not making sacrifice's. 

Edited by black00ta

I imagine the OP has already made his decision, for future reference the BFG Trail Terrain on our Yukon Denali are great especially in the winter where they felt more secure than the All Terrains KO2s on my truck.

FWIW: I won't buy any other brand besides BFG. Every set I've had have performed flawlessly - and every other brand have been junk (Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear, General... all nope)

• 1 month later...

I love these tires myself....the sidewall reminds me of the older BFG All Terrain T/A's that I liked before they got more aggressive with the tread.

I bought them when my '16 needed more tires this spring and liked them so much I bought them for my new one too!

250228476_IMG_3593(1).thumb.jpeg.e700292a52ad48db6f53a4d73ba3c812.jpeg

BEST SIDE 3 Blue '22.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 6:29 PM, Cowboyman said:

I love these tires myself....the sidewall reminds me of the older BFG All Terrain T/A's that I liked before they got more aggressive with the tread.

I bought them when my '16 needed more tires this spring and liked them so much I bought them for my new one too!

250228476_IMG_3593(1).thumb.jpeg.e700292a52ad48db6f53a4d73ba3c812.jpeg

BEST SIDE 3 Blue '22.JPG

wow what a beauty truck!

in the hunting fishing world up here in Alberta Canada you'll see a shat ton of duratrac, ko2 and more and more now of the Falken at3w's, all 'snowflake rated at's', I've run them all, the duratracs are the most off-road worthy for traction but come at expense of noise, less noisy than muds but still noisy but did remarkably well on frozen or muddy forestry roads and winter city work also, stay soft and maybe not wear as good, the ko2's I find great until it gets cold and they seem to harden up and especially so in the last half of their life, less traction and harder ride after half life, I've migrated to the Falken wild peak at3w's, quiet, excellent snow/ice traction, wear very well for softer tire

I like e-rated tires with some sidewall vs the the 'appearance driven' larger wheel less tire look but hey, we are shallow like that, 95% of vehicles are sold based on appearance lol, won't be much different in terms of wheels and tires. So if a guy can get over that and work from the logic side of brain the 20's and 22's go for sale and the 17's and 18's get installed. 😉

my stock 20's are for sale, I went skinnier 17's at same diameter instead, gained 1.5" sidewall, e-rated tough (hard to get flats with e's), and snowflake rated AT, added psi's to ground going 20mm narrower, and dropped 4 lbs per corner all at the same time, should negate any mpg losses by narrower despite more aggressive tread pattern (seems no change so far on few hundred kms) and haven't lost any acceleration, ride, or otherwise, noise, stopping etc. all feels the same as stock street tires did https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/258549-the-tale-of-two-33’s-20”-vs-17”/

oh and skinnier tires work better on snow/ice, getting psi to the ground is big part of game, why winter tires are often recommended and installed narrower etc.

5 hours ago, 4banger said:

wow what a beauty truck!

in the hunting fishing world up here in Alberta Canada you'll see a shat ton of duratrac, ko2 and more and more now of the Falken at3w's, all 'snowflake rated at's', I've run them all, the duratracs are the most off-road worthy for traction but come at expense of noise, less noisy than muds but still noisy but did remarkably well on frozen or muddy forestry roads and winter city work also, stay soft and maybe not wear as good, the ko2's I find great until it gets cold and they seem to harden up and especially so in the last half of their life, less traction and harder ride after half life, I've migrated to the Falken wild peak at3w's, quiet, excellent snow/ice traction, wear very well for softer tire

I like e-rated tires with some sidewall vs the the 'appearance driven' larger wheel less tire look but hey, we are shallow like that, 95% of vehicles are sold based on appearance lol, won't be much different in terms of wheels and tires. So if a guy can get over that and work from the logic side of brain the 20's and 22's go for sale and the 17's and 18's get installed. 😉

my stock 20's are for sale, I went skinnier 17's at same diameter instead, gained 1.5" sidewall, e-rated tough (hard to get flats with e's), and snowflake rated AT, added psi's to ground going 20mm narrower, and dropped 4 lbs per corner all at the same time, should negate any mpg losses by narrower despite more aggressive tread pattern (seems no change so far on few hundred kms) and haven't lost any acceleration, ride, or otherwise, noise, stopping etc. all feels the same as stock street tires did https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/258549-the-tale-of-two-33’s-20”-vs-17”/

oh and skinnier tires work better on snow/ice, getting psi to the ground is big part of game, why winter tires are often recommended and installed narrower etc.

Thanks!

I had some All Terrain T/A's on my 2002 Avalanche before air pressure sensors were on all the cars, I noticed at a gas station the tire looked a little low.....got back on the interstate looking for a place to look at it.

By the time we got to the place it had zero pressure and I had no idea, the truck drove the exact same as it did with 50lbs in it.....I was amazed....it still held up the truck and looked a little low....not flat!

Those tires were amazing, they were 17's too....and it was a crack on a weld on the wheel nothing with the tire at all.

Edited by Cowboyman