What tranny temps are you getting with the 5.3/6.2 with the 10 speed?

11 minutes ago, Gangly said:

Agreed.  There is planned obsolescence in every mass produced, manufactured item.  GM is just telling you the parameters they shoot for in the design so that it will last long enough to where they don't have to cover it under warranty. :)

And how long is that warranty? 

5 years or 60K miles!

About how long people finance, right?

:crackup:

You guys talk like these trucks dont last lol.  Ive seen a few with 200k+ miles on this gen's platform at work.  With how many sell, you are going to see a good amount of issues arise, and with todays world, word gets around a lot quicker than in past times so it sounds a lot worst than it realistically is.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anon12345 said:

You guys talk like these trucks dont last lol.  Ive seen a few with 200k+ miles on this gen's platform at work.  With how many sell, you are going to see a good amount of issues arise, and with todays world, word gets around a lot quicker than in past times so it sounds a lot worst than it realistically is.  

Couldn't help myself.

Failures as you say are less common than successes. If not GM would be out of business, right?

That said failures occur and most failures are self inflicted. Not that the set up isn't already there but really?

If a part is going to fail because of heat treat, dimensional or design issue, that happens pretty darn quick. Last round of lifters failures happened between 500 and 5000 miles. Heat treat. Now blow out of proportion. If you have a failure past say 20K then you have a maintenance or other related issue, like lubrication. More common that you think.

Forum like this???? Yes...only the failures come here...NOT. And we try to let others know what has worked and what has failed in prevention. Problem is???? Yea... There is that and this ain't that. No false flags here sir.   

So, my 130 degrees range, is after an hour drive up to the Adirondack mountains, overall about 1200 feet of increase in elevation, some hills, some flat spots.  Still stays at 130.  2020 AT4, 5.3 with 10 speed.  Towing my sled trailer, on same trip, maybe 140s.  My old 2014, with the 6 speed, I could fry an egg on it, mainly because of the thermostat in it, 195-210 all day long.....

Sorry to be clueless, but how do you tell the temp of your trans?  Is that something that comes standard that I’m just not aware of, or does that only come with certain options of towing package.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Lot's of WE and ALLOW.

And how did that work out for their customers? 

Investor owned and driven companies such as GM are all about $$.  Engineers may set the spec's but the bean counters are required to seek out the lowest prices on parts and services.  And like almost everything made by a low bidder, short cuts are taken and lower quality additives are used to meet the low price of the bid.  

The goal it to make it last the warranty period, after that its the customers problem. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Sorry to be clueless, but how do you tell the temp of your trans?  Is that something that comes standard that I’m just not aware of, or does that only come with certain options of towing package.

You can check your transmission temperature by navigating through your digital screen on your instrument cluster via your steering wheels controls.  If you don't have that option, you can check your actual transmission temp gauge on your instrument cluster.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gangly said:

You can check your transmission temperature by navigating through your digital screen on your instrument cluster via your steering wheels controls.  If you don't have that option, you can check your actual transmission temp gauge on your instrument cluster.

Thanks. Found it.  Running at about 130.

Its not necessarily a matter of low rpm so much as load.  Going 50 mph at 2,000 rpms is much easier on a transmission than 70 mph at 2,000 rpms due to kinetic forces, or loads, such as wind.  The load on the transmission is significantly greater at higher speeds and during periods acceleration, and internal heat builds up accordingly through friction forces applied through the  transmission's torque converter, clutches, brakes, etc .  My guess would be that most of the low temperature reads are from individuals with short duration trips or a lot of low speed, ie low load, driving.  Stay long enough on the highway at cruising speeds, and the temperatures will get to the 180-185 F range.  Put-put around town for 30 minutes and the temperature may never reach the 180 F threshold, again a matter of load, not necessarily RPM.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:27 PM, GN2018 said:

On 3/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, Gangly said:

There are at least 3 methods on a the Denali.

if you can put it in tow/haul and the voltmeter (right hand one of the 4 gauges at top of display) switches to transmission temp. 

It can be switched in/out of tow/haul anytime for a quick temp check.

In the trailering app, it has a page that will display trans temperature. 

On '21's, the trailering app is standard on '21 SLT, AT4 and Denali and is available on SLE and Elevation

Edited by redwngr

13 hours ago, Jagerschnapps1 said:

I’d be curious to know if those who are in the hotter side are lifted trucks and/or with oversized tires.  I definitely had an increase after a lift and 35’s.  

Lifted trucks, or rather trucks with larger and heavier wheel and tire combinations, should generate more heat within the transmission resulting in shorter times to reach operating temperatures.  The increased rotational mass combined with an elevated drive height inhibits acceleration, increases wind load, and in turn will increase heat through frictional forces within the transmission as it tries to maintain the desired results of your right foot's input.

I personally don't mind though, its worth it :)

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...