2019 Sierra Denali Transfer Case Fluid

So for the most part they say to use the same transmission fluid in the transfer case. Does that apply for the CVT transmissions? So for my truck they say the transmission fluid required is the AC Delco Dexron ULV and NOT Dexron VI.

For the transfer case should I use Dexron ULV or Dexron VI?

I have been searching all over and can't seem to find a clear answer :( 

9 minutes ago, Thomas Rodriguez said:

So for the most part they say to use the same transmission fluid in the transfer case. Does that apply for the CVT transmissions? So for my truck they say the transmission fluid required is the AC Delco Dexron ULV and NOT Dexron VI.

I didn't know that GM offered a CVT transmission. Are you saying that's what you have?

You should have either a 6 speed or 8 speed or maybe a 10 speed transmission. Not sure what was offered in 2019.

Edited by rav3

55 minutes ago, Thomas Rodriguez said:

The manual is very clear on the answer.  Dexron VI.

image.thumb.png.d7ecafada3897659a5184cf32c45bd4a.png

6sp - Use Dexron VI

8sp - Use Dexron HP

10sp - Use Dexron ULV

Transfer cases use Dexron VI

HP = High Performance

ULV - Ultra Low Viscosity

No continuously variable transmission (CVT) in full size trucks!

As far as I can find, only the Chevy Spark and Malibu with a 1.5L Turbo have a CVT trans and it comes from an outside source.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

I flushed the fluid in both my 16 silverado and 14 sierra with Dexron VI. Never had an issue. Use amsoil for a better quality fluid or the OEM stuff. You should be fine. Fill to the top hole, wait for no drip, and put the plug back. Should take less than 2 quarts. 🤙

18 hours ago, elcamino said:

6sp - Use Dexron VI

8sp - Use Dexron HP

10sp - Use Dexron ULV

Transfer cases use Dexron VI

HP = High Performance

ULV - Ultra Low Viscosity

No continuously variable transmission (CVT) in full size trucks!

As far as I can find, only the Chevy Spark and Malibu with a 1.5L Turbo have a CVT trans and it comes from an outside source.

For some reason I thought the 10sp was a CVT. The verbiage about it and how it is mentioned on the bottles it says not for CVT for all but the ULV. I assumed that meant the 10sp was a CVT. In fairness it feels like a CVT lol

21 hours ago, rav3 said:

I didn't know that GM offered a CVT transmission. Are you saying that's what you have?

You should have either a 6 speed or 8 speed or maybe a 10 speed transmission. Not sure what was offered in 2019.

Sorry, I mistakenly thought the 10sp was a CVT given its requirements and the way the verbiage on Dexron VI bottles and others saying it is not for CVT transmissions but the Dexron ULV does not have that disclaimer on it. 

27 minutes ago, Thomas Rodriguez said:

For some reason I thought the 10sp was a CVT. The verbiage about it and how it is mentioned on the bottles it says not for CVT for all but the ULV. I assumed that meant the 10sp was a CVT. In fairness it feels like a CVT lol

Both Dexron VI and Dexron ULV have no mention of being CVT applicable on their bottles anywhere.  CVT transmissions use CVT transmission fluid and no ATF fluids interchange with it.  CVTs (Continuously Variable Transmission) have no actual gear changes.  A 10 speed is not a CVT, rather its an automatic transmission.  It has 10 gear ratios that it can shift in and out of, via clutch packs and planetary gearsets.  

Dexron VI and ULV are not cross compatible either.  10 speed transmission takes Dexron ULV.  Transfer cases take Dexron VI.  

Edited by newdude