2022 Chevrolet Silverado new body style has no 12V DC outlet.

2 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

Thanks   I was looking at some of the 110V to 12V adapters as well.  It’s kinda like adding insult to injury. LOL.  I’ll be wiring in a 12V adapter I guess so I can use both 110v and 12V simultaneously.  Just like the trucks in Jan 2022 were built to do.  

That is pretty disappointing.  Don't all modern radar detectors still use them?  I have mine hard-wired in one of my cars, but I use the 12v plug when I want to use it to another vehicle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TechSTL said:

That is pretty disappointing.  Don't all modern radar detectors still use them?  I have mine hard-wired in one of my cars, but I use the 12v plug when I want to use it to another vehicle.

12v to 110 or USB converter and this is a non-issue. I have even linked one for your convenience.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Female-Converter/dp/B07DDKD7Y7

Again who cares about a 12v outlet lol

1 hour ago, shakenfake said:

12v to 110 or USB converter and this is a non-issue. I have even linked one for your convenience.

This is actually a nice suggestion on some levels.   Essentially this is a cheap buck boost transformer with a USB port.   I may even order one and try it out but I can already warn you.   USB is only 5V.    So this may work for a very low amperage tool like a radar detector.   I would expect it may burn out if used with a higher amperage tool like a tire inflator/compressor, which I always have handy in the truck.

Who cares about the loss of a 12V outlet you ask?  I could only answer, Not you.   LOL

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, Sandyg said:

I would hope that if you bought a $60,000 truck you could afford a new tire inflator / compressor...

Preferably with alligator clips....

On 4/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, shakenfake said:

You realize that your opinion isn't the only reasonable opinion?  Some of us would rather have an outlet than to have a converter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, shakenfake said:

At this point you are in the minority. 

Just like how a lot of guys voice their opinion about a RCSB truck with a 6.2 or even a 5.3, me being one of those guys.

Everyone votes with their wallets.  On this thread, you seem to be the minority.  But really... "who cares lol?".  I see people offering help by providing a link to converters but that doesn't mean they think JS1 is foolish for wanting 12v built in.

If my '22 had a 12v connection, I'd probably only use it a handful of times.  Had it not been for this thread, I'd probably have grabbed my radar detector on my way out the door of a long trip and not realized I didn't have a port.  Thanks to JS1, now I know I have to buy a converter and give up some console space.

Obviously I am in the minority of the thread that's sole purpose is to mention they don't have a 12v and ask the GM gods why...

Quote where I called him foolish. I can understand why you may want a 12v but GM doesn't care about that.

I don't think this is a push towards electric vehicles I think that GM probably just looked around and noticed most people aren't using the 12v outlet like they have in the past. Especially now that USB and 110v ports have become so prevalent in vehicles the 12v is really on the way out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, Sandyg said:

I would hope that if you bought a $60,000 truck you could afford a new tire inflator / compressor...

Or maybe a $60-$70k truck should come with a $2 12v outlet.....

On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, shakenfake said:

Obviously I am in the minority of the thread that's sole purpose is to mention they don't have a 12v and ask the GM gods why...

Quote where I called him foolish. I can understand why you may want a 12v but GM doesn't care about that.

I don't think this is a push towards electric vehicles I think that GM probably just looked around and noticed most people aren't using the 12v outlet like they have in the past. Especially now that USB and 110v ports have become so prevalent in vehicles the 12v is really on the way out.

That's mostly what it comes down to.  Same reason CD players disappeared from vehicles.  USBs, iPods, phones, streaming.  

• Like 1