Towing a Chevy SS Sedan on a Uhaul Auto Transporter from Mid-West through the Appalachians to the East Coast. Looking for practical advice.

So this isn't the typical "How much can I tow" thread.  I know I will end up well within the factory limits of the vehicle.  2200 lbs Trailer, with a 4000 lbs vehicle, with maybe an additional 500lbs in the truck. 

I'm used to towing on flat lands in the midwest without so much of a hint of elevation..... and I'm plenty comfortable with that.  Just wanted to draw on some of your experience in making a pass through the mountains.  The elevation grade won't be so terrible.  According to flatestroute.com the steepest grade I can expect on the climb is 6.6% and the steepest on the descent in 7.7%.  I'll be on I77 through most of the route and the steepest grade there is 4.5% at fancy gap, which as I understand it should be pretty pedestrian.  US-52 from VA into NC and around Winston-Salem is supposedly where the steepest part is but I can't seem to pinpoint the part of the route that would have that grade as US-52 around Pilot Mountain doesn't seem to have grade marked. 

Thoughts and advice?  Anything from route, loading, securing the load I'll take it what nuggets of wisdom you have to share.  I'm already comfortable with loading and towing on flat land but if you have nuggets to share I'll read them! 

U-Haul car trailers are usually set up well for securing the vehicle.  I recommend checking it about 5-10 miles down the road after first loading it, then every fuel stop after that.  On those descents, familiarize yourself with manually shifting your transmission.  Use lower gears to maintain safe speed as much as possible going downhill.  This will save your brakes.  Best advice is just don't get in a hurry and don't forget what's behind you when changing lanes, turning, etc.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Down hill stopping with a trailer can be "exciting" to say the least if you have never done it.  I had to readjust my idea of following at a safe-distance when I did it for the first time and came to the conclusion that you can never have enough distance when traveling downhill.  On the descents, drop 2-3 gears and double the distance you think you will need between you and the person in front of you.  The brakes on these trucks are excellent compared to those in years past, but they aren't 3/4 Ton Truck brakes and they are susceptible to heat fade.  Like any new driving experience, just be a little more cautious than normal and try to be aware of your trucks, and your, limitations.  Good luck!

Oh yeah, super jealous of your SS, I was looking hard at them in 2017 and wanted to pull the trigger on a few but never did.  Sunburst Orange, or something like that, with  6 speed manual was my wet dream at the time.

Edited by Gangly
  • Thanks 1

Where are you coming from? I live in Eastern NC. I travel I-40 a lot hauling a 20' enclosed V nose. Grossing around 7800 total. There are some big mountains on 40 in western NC and eastern NC. I-77 is fairly easy as is 52 in NC. Pilot Mountain aka Mount Pilot, is easy as well. Prepare for heavy traffic in Winston Salem. 

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

Oh yeah, super jealous of your SS, I was looking hard at them in 2017 and wanted to pull the trigger on a few but never did.  Sunburst Orange, or something like that, with  6 speed manual was my wet dream at the time.

Definitely very lucky to have it.  I bought it in 2016 during the GM 20% off sales.  I love driving it and love having it live in my garage :D  Definitely gets a lot of attention and even people offering to buy it.  Just the other day a local City employee offered $40K for it.  Said he couldn't find one and he loved mine.  I'm hanging onto this bad boy as long as I can. 

1 hour ago, Phantom 4D said:

Where are you coming from? I live in Eastern NC. I travel I-40 a lot hauling a 20' enclosed V nose. Grossing around 7800 total. There are some big mountains on 40 in western NC and eastern NC. I-77 is fairly easy as is 52 in NC. Pilot Mountain aka Mount Pilot, is easy as well. Prepare for heavy traffic in Winston Salem. 

Coming from St. Louis area and headed to Eastern NC.  I don't mind the Winston-Salem traffic, pass through there quite often.  Your trailer weight is what I'm looking at as well so that eases my mind knowing it's not so bad. 

15 minutes ago, SporkLover said:

Definitely very lucky to have it.  I bought it in 2016 during the GM 20% off sales.  I love driving it and love having it live in my garage :D  Definitely gets a lot of attention and even people offering to buy it.  Just the other day a local City employee offered $40K for it.  Said he couldn't find one and he loved mine.  I'm hanging onto this bad boy as long as I can. 

I specifically remember that 20% off from GM offer, that's what had me so tempted.  I almost purchased one for around 42K, but I needed a larger vehicle to carry around a wife and two kids.  I see a few 2015 and 2016's here and there for sale with 40K-50K miles going for 45K and slap myself for not getting one when I could.  Oh, what may have been :)

2 hours ago, Gangly said:

I specifically remember that 20% off from GM offer, that's what had me so tempted.  I almost purchased one for around 42K, but I needed a larger vehicle to carry around a wife and two kids.  I see a few 2015 and 2016's here and there for sale with 40K-50K miles going for 45K and slap myself for not getting one when I could.  Oh, what may have been :)

I lucked out in that the SS was my 3rd car.  I ended up daily driving it for nearly 3 years!  Now it just sits most days. 

My wife sees how much they sell for now and wants to slap me.  How often can you sell a car for more than you paid for it after 6 years of ownership is what she says.  I'm not breaking even..... but still buying at $37K and getting $40+ seems like something you shouldn't pass up.  She also says if I did that it would save me this towing trip.  I'm relocating to NC and dropping it off in the garage of the house we'll be closing on. 

Edited by SporkLover
  • Thanks 1

2019 Silverado LT Max Towing with camping trailer.

I live in Winston Salem.  I make the drive to VA and points North via I-81 a few times a year.  We take US-52 to I-74 to I-77 to I-81.  US-52 near Pilot Mountain will not be an issue.  There are some small hills, but nothing too bad.  There is a stretch (I believe on I-74) that gets pretty steep.  It can be very hard to see the cars in front of you when the fog rolls in (they have electronic/illuminated speed limit signs that are updated based on road conditions).  The road can be very slick when wet in that stretch as well.  I rarely drive through there without seeing a car or two rolled over on the side of the road.  We always leave plenty of room between us and the vehicle in front.  A note, people are always in a hurry.  They will pass us aggressively and cut in right on top of us...no matter how much room is in front of us.  That is okay, we expect it now.  We can usually maintain the posted speed limit, but there have been a few times we made a conscious decision to go a bit slower because of wet/foggy conditions.  This area is worse heading down the mountain toward Winston Salem.  It isn't too bad when going up the mountain.

The Fancy Gap area isn't too bad.  The biggest issue there is getting stuck behind a wall of 18 wheelers.  It can be a bear to get back up to speed when/if you can get around them at a few spots.

• 4 weeks later...

I just made trip. It was an easy one. The U-Haul trailer is a pretty nice piece of hardware and pretty stable.

The truck handled the extra 6400lbs lke a boss. Extra braking power would have been nice but overall an easy trip.

IMG_20220428_144018_01.jpg

• Like 2