In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Does GM have a complaint department for dealers?

Does GM have a complaint department for their dealer network and how to go about it?

Quick synopsis...took my LM2 in for some things that needed some attention. Get it back and immediately had concerns that anything was fixed. By the next day, I figured out nothing was fixed.  Took it back a second time and still nothing. 

1. Coolant level low

2. Exhaust smell in cabin

3. DEF 

I can elaborate if anyone would like?

There is no single number for dealer or service complaints. You can call 1-800-462-8782. That's the customer assistance line. There's a chat line available too. Have to go to the GM main website and scroll down to contact us. They will ask if you talked with the service manager or dealer manager. 

GM could care less, 2 days after I got my new truck I stopped by the dealer near my house just to ask a question. First thing they ask is did you buy it here? I told them no they had none in stock, was told than we can't help you. Mind you I had bought 3 cars from them and used this dealer for over 10 years.  

I called GM cares was told just go back to the dealer you got it from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WeGone said:

GM could care less, 2 days after I got my new truck I stopped by the dealer near my house just to ask a question. First thing they ask is did you buy it here? I told them no they had none in stock, was told than we can't help you. Mind you I had bought 3 cars from them and used this dealer for over 10 years.  

I called GM cares was told just go back to the dealer you got it from.

I actually didn't buy from this dealer either but I heard from someone that they had a good diesel tech and also the dealer kept bragging that they have the best diesel tech around! Apparently this means that if there is a light on that they can plug a scanner in to be told what part to replace or a TSB,  then maybe so? Otherwise it's just excuses!

What really bothers me the most is that one of the problems was exhaust smell in the cabin...exhaust smell tells me carbon monoxide...they tried telling me its fine and every vehicle does it. There was a TSB about this and they did replace an exhaust valve but it still didn't fix the problem and now they don't want to do anymore. 

49 minutes ago, Whipped500 said:

What really bothers me the most is that one of the problems was exhaust smell in the cabin...exhaust smell tells me carbon monoxide...they tried telling me its fine and every vehicle does it. There was a TSB about this and they did replace an exhaust valve but it still didn't fix the problem and now they don't want to do anymore. 

Have it tested for carbon monoxide in the cab, if positive go see a lawyer, or contact the local news and NTSB

Edited by WeGone

16 minutes ago, WeGone said:

Have it tested for carbon monoxide in the cab, if positive go see a lawyer, or contact the local news and NTSB

Bingo.  That will get a response real quick.

Yeah, just for your own sake, you should test the cabin for carbon monoxide.  Hopefully that’s not getting into the cabin.

If you get a positive indication, switch the cabin HVAC to recirculate the cabin air and see if that changes the results.

• Like 1

All of the dealerships are independent businesses and not directly associated with GM.  They just sale and distribute their product with agreements.

Your best resource for a dealership complaint is calling the dealership manager/owner or complaining through Yelp or Google.  GM won't do anything as far as I know.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:46 PM, Whipped500 said:

I actually didn't buy from this dealer either but I heard from someone that they had a good diesel tech and also the dealer kept bragging that they have the best diesel tech around! Apparently this means that if there is a light on that they can plug a scanner in to be told what part to replace or a TSB,  then maybe so? Otherwise it's just excuses!

Carbon Monoxide is odorless and diesel engines don't produce nowhere near the same amount of it as gas engines.  

You are smelling diesel exhaust, if anything.  

Sounds like they performed the work in bulletin 21-NA-267.  The real question is, did they smoke the entire exhaust system before replacing that bypass valve.  Bulletin specifically states to smoke the entire exhaust system.  Sounds like they need to smoke the exhaust again and check for leaks.  

What is your issue with the DEF and coolant?  

33 minutes ago, newdude said:

Carbon Monoxide is odorless and diesel engines don't produce nowhere near the same amount of it as gas engines.  

Sounds like they performed the work in bulletin 21-NA-267.  The real question is, did they smoke the entire exhaust system before replacing that bypass valve.  Bulletin specifically states to smoke the entire exhaust system.  Sounds like they need to smoke the exhaust again and check for leaks.  

You need to be an engineer with all your wealth of knowledge newdude! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, newdude said:

Sorry  for the delay,  I thought I replied to this...must have not hit submit.

21-NA-267 is what they did but not sure what all they tested. Their incompetence with my whole experience tell me they replaced the valve and called it good. I got it back and it still smells like exhaust when first starting and cold temps. The second time it went in, it wasn't that cold so they started making excuses. 

Not sure what is going on with the coolant. After 16k miles the coolant tank is down about 3/4". I'm thinking it too is temp sensitive like the exhaust or it had an air bubble.  They pressure tested it but never filled it back up to where it should be after not finding anything...they did it twice or I should say didn't.  The second time it went in, the write-up even stated low coolant.  

The DEF, I personally think the tank is bad. One time I was driving and it went from 1/2 to counting down to reduced power. After a few key cycles it was back to 1/2 for a few thousand miles/couple months. It did it a second time, again at a 1/2 tank. It went from 1/2 to counting down reduced power. This time it wouldn't go away though.  I was down to 100 miles before 65mph I think was the speed. I finally had to put a jug in so I can keep driving until my appointment.  After putting a 2.5 gal jug in, it went up to 3/4 (2 bars missing) and has been there since. All they did to it was a TSB update...which just fixed the injector from not turning on right away.

This dealership (Raymond Chevrolet in Antioch, IL) is so incompetent, it's not even funny. I have caught the mechanics drinking on lunch break. This should have been a huge red flag but they kept insisting they have the best diesel techs in the area! A buddy had also told me he had a discussion with one of the diesel techs and said he was very knowledgeable...which is the only reason I gave them a shot.

I learned that they are nothing but parts changers. They can only do something if a light is on and the scanner tells them what to change! They actually probably wasted more time thinking of the excuses to tell me than it would take to test things. 

End rant...I think LOL