In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Software Updates????

Software Updates?
Just took my 2019 Custom with IOR 7" Stereo in for a problem with the radio, and the dealership told me I needed a "Software Update" and wanted $400 for it. Luckily the dearship that sold me the truck 2 months ago was kind enough to offer me reimbursement for this. But does this make sense? Why in the bloody Hell should we have to pay 400 dollars an hour for Software updates? And, how often in the future will I need more of these?

7 minutes ago, Ribrown said:

Software Updates?
Just took my 2019 Custom with IOR 7" Stereo in for a problem with the radio, and the dealership told me I needed a "Software Update" and wanted $400 for it. Luckily the dearship that sold me the truck 2 months ago was kind enough to offer me reimbursement for this. But does this make sense? Why in the bloody Hell should we have to pay 400 dollars an hour for Software updates? And, how often in the future will I need more of these?

Do you have updates turned on in your truck? 2) Is your truck connected to Wifi to receive the updates? 3) Is your truck out of warranty? The dealer should only charge you if it was out of warranty.

1 hour ago, Ribrown said:

Software Updates?

Not free once out of warranty.  They are covered under warranty if you bring it in for a problem and an update will fix it, otherwise at the dealer it costs to update.

Certain radios in these now have over the air update capability that can do it on its own.  

Do they really update OTA though? The 21 Sierra I traded in had a 2020 version of the software installed on it. Anytime I told it to check for updates, it always said there wasnt any.

My 2020 1500 LT with IOS Infotainment System received an OTA update to U157.3.1 on 4/4/2022; I'm still under warranty. Cannot find what tweaks this update did.

I am having issues with the infotainment as it does not show in the DIC when switching channels. So If i have Waze on the radio display and switch up a channel. I cannot see in the DIC what channel. I was told there is an update so it trancends from radio to DIC. Works sometimes but mostly not. Hmm, have to see if i have over air updates turned on?????

I had checked the Head unit screen for updates a few weeks ago and it told me there we r e not any available at that time. But yes, truck is out of warranty by 2 weeks. F--- Me. I just think it's totally ubsurd that we should pay for stupid software updates. When there's an update available for my Windows computer, Microsoft dosent charge for it! But this crook dealership charged 400 bucks for this update and it literally took them less than an hour after diagnosing. Rip off

While I agree that $400 is too much, the windows comparison is not valid since there isn't a tech applying the update. If you take your computer to a repair shop and they have to apply an update you will be charged for the techs time.

I would ask for a good will update since you are only 2 weeks out of warranty.

Jay