WHAT TO DO WHEN AN OPTION WAS LEFT OUT OF YOUR ORDER

I have a new ZR2 on order and asked the dealership to add Power up/down tailgate to my order upon building it out.... long story short, the truck was built without it and the dealership forgot to add that option. Have any of you experienced an "option" being left off your order and is it possible for the power up/down option to be retrofitted?

Edited by Aycock1987

• aha1987 changed the title to WHAT TO DO WHEN AN OPTION WAS LEFT OUT OF YOUR ORDER

I’ll bet that it is not possible to add that feature after the fact. GM won’t be willing to add the programming. 

You’re pretty much SOL, the dealer shafted you by forgetting to add the option. Maybe you can convince them to give you a discount or free service for your inconvenience, but nothing will get this truck a power up/down tailgate if GM won’t offer the reprogramming. 

Did you pay for it?  Was it in your purchase contract?

If so then you can refuse the truck until they either install it or get a different truck. 

If not then your only option is to refuse the truck. 

• Like 1

More details needed.

Do they admit the mistake?  Is it in the contract?  While this is an OLD story, my parents ordered an 81 K5 with every option available.  They forgot 4WD.

The dealer tried stacking deal upon deal for them, to which they refused.  Had to wait for another build and that 2WD fully loaded truck sat for 8+ months

• Thanks 1

If it was written down on what options you wanted and forgotten by the dealer. I don't think the final price is set till the VIN and invoice are issued for the truck. So if it wasn't ordered and installed it might not be charged for the option. Plus I don't think it can be added after the fact unfortunately.

The way things are right now you cannot be guaranteed of anything being on the truck. Dealer told me that they really did not know how a truck would be equipped until it was on the lot. Either options being omitted or a retro-fit once parts/chips became available. 

Not that this is any help, but if my truck came in without the power up/down gate, I wouldn't refuse it, especially with the problems we have with them here in NY.  

In terms of your situation, I don't believe the gate is retrofitable.  Also, its like $3200 for the entire gate plus paintwork.  Dealer ain't gonna comp you that, that is for sure.  

Your best options is to take it, or order another one and wait again.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tom73 said:

The way things are right now you cannot be guaranteed of anything being on the truck. Dealer told me that they really did not know how a truck would be equipped until it was on the lot. Either options being omitted or a retro-fit once parts/chips became available. 

Wrong.  If you ordered it and signed for the order then they are supposed to deliver to you exactly what you ordered.  Even in today's times when options are popping in and out willy nilly they have to get your approval if anything changes.  My wife and I ordered a Yukon in October and received it the first week of January.  We actually GOT one of the options they had told us wouldn't be available upon build and had to have us initial and sign a separate sheet of paper saying we were okay with the change from the original ordering contract.

So yes, we had to sign to say we were okay with getting the option we originally wanted but that had not been available when we ordered it.

If it isn't what you ordered and signed a contract for then no, you don't have to accept it.

6 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Wrong.  If you ordered it and signed for the order then they are supposed to deliver to you exactly what you ordered.  Even in today's times when options are popping in and out willy nilly they have to get your approval if anything changes.  My wife and I ordered a Yukon in October and received it the first week of January.  We actually GOT one of the options they had told us wouldn't be available upon build and had to have us initial and sign a separate sheet of paper saying we were okay with the change from the original ordering contract.

So yes, we had to sign to say we were okay with getting the option we originally wanted but that had not been available when we ordered it.

If it isn't what you ordered and signed a contract for then no, you don't have to accept it.

If an option you wanted is under constraints due to parts shortage then your order will set in a holding queue until the parts are available.  If it should be built without the option then you either accept it as is or reject it and start over. But like I said the dealer does not know what is on the vehicles coming in until it gets to the lot or he receives the shipping paperwork.