Brand new truck-Transmission issues

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I love my 6L90E.  And I'm sure the 10 speed will help out in those in between gear shifts where the engine can bog down a bit.  But still, I love my 6L90E.  I'm just hoping the 10 speed will be reliable and worthy and keep the chevy HD name highly sought after and be bulletproof as much as the 6L90E is.  Will I be trading mine in for the 10 speed???  Noooo, but I do hope the best for those who buy it.

I went on another small trip. About 240mi roundtrip and I really enjoy the 6spd. It’s very smooth and seems to be in the right gear for current speed and conditions. Rolling hills single lane highway is a nice drive. I don’t think I’d want more gears. The 6 feel just right for shifts as you pick up speed. 

I did have to drop the hammer for the very first time though which is funny since I’ve had it since aug and it now has 3k miles.  There was some driving mrs daisy going 40 in a 55. 

Now I did have four others plus weight in the bed but it felt good and had plenty of get up. 
I would say it doesn’t have as much pull in that 40-65 range as my old tundra though but that truck was 1,700lbs less. 

I will be testing that theory eventually though to be sure as I have the tundra numbers on video. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pryme said:

I went on another small trip. About 240mi roundtrip and I really enjoy the 6spd. It’s very smooth and seems to be in the right gear for current speed and conditions. Rolling hills single lane highway is a nice drive. I don’t think I’d want more gears. The 6 feel just right for shifts as you pick up speed. 

I did have to drop the hammer for the very first time though which is funny since I’ve had it since aug and it now has 3k miles.  There was some driving mrs daisy going 40 in a 55. 

Now I did have four others plus weight in the bed but it felt good and had plenty of get up. 
I would say it doesn’t have as much pull in that 40-65 range as my old tundra though but that truck was 1,700lbs less. 

I will be testing that theory eventually though to be sure as I have the tundra numbers on video. 

Understandable wanting to stick with the 6spd when you've had good luck with it.  I had similar feelings when I had the 6spd  Allison in my 2018 Duramax and heard they were going to the 10spd Allison.  I didn't think it was necessary, the 6spd  seemed flawless but after putting on 150k between two different 2020 HD's with the 10spd I would not want to go back to the 6.  Hoping that is the same with the 6.6 gas getting the 10spd, the 2024 I ordered will be the first gas motor I've had in an HD truck for quite some time.

5 hours ago, CRApex said:

Understandable wanting to stick with the 6spd when you've had good luck with it.  I had similar feelings when I had the 6spd  Allison in my 2018 Duramax and heard they were going to the 10spd Allison.  I didn't think it was necessary, the 6spd  seemed flawless but after putting on 150k between two different 2020 HD's with the 10spd I would not want to go back to the 6.  Hoping that is the same with the 6.6 gas getting the 10spd, the 2024 I ordered will be the first gas motor I've had in an HD truck for quite some time.

Here's what I think will be major benefit with the 10 speed. Better acceleration from say 0 to 60, loaded and unloaded with no flat spots that the 6 speed has.  And that's about it.  If the final drive ratio is comparable to the 6 speed then gas mileage will basically remain the same overall.  I'm the speed demon from hell from most every vehicle I've ever owned.  But with my 2500, I baby it for the most part.  Yes I will stuff my foot the floor at least twice a day just to entertain myself.  But overall, I don't speed, I actually baby it.  I just hope GM programs it so that it doesn't hunt a lot when towing.  That can be a nightmare and can cause lots of heat build-up in the trans.  Transmissions hate heat, that's their biggest enemy.  So if it runs cool and doesn't hunt between gears a lot, it will be amazing!!!!

8 hours ago, Pryme said:

I love your comments about the 6L90E.  Here's something I like to do that will surely get your attention.  Go about 20mph, then slam your foot to the floor.  It will downshift into 1st gear and it's like letting all hell loose.  I can't get over how that engine and trans. combo can move a 7500lb truck so quickly.  It's impressive to say the least.  Have a blast!!

• Like 3

I’ve said this before on this forum, but I was looking for maximum proven reliability on the road for overland off-highway travel and for road trips around the country carrying a 2k lbs slide in camper. My pulling needs are always going to be less than about 8 k lbs and will be fairly local low altitude boat trailer pulling. The 6L90E was exactly what I wanted and so far has delivered trouble-free performance. Bonus is it works great with this engine on this truck. The 10 speed may be slightly better in performance, but I didn’t want to be part of a reliability experiment for a newer transmission installation. 

Edited by Another JR
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Another JR said:

I’ve said this before on this forum, but I was looking for maximum proven reliability on the road for overland off-highway travel and for road trips around the country carrying a 2k lbs slide in camper. My pulling needs are always going to be less than about 8 k lbs and will be fairly local low altitude boat trailer pulling. The 6L90E was exactly what I wanted and so far has delivered trouble-free performance. Bonus is it works great with this engine on this truck. The 10 speed may be slightly better in performance, but I didn’t want to be part of a reliability experiment for a newer transmission installation. 

In all honesty, my needs could have been met with a half ton but every manufacturer ruined their half tons and made them soft looking suvs with beds and all the gimmicky gas mileage crap choking them out. Not interested at all plus I like the more old school look of the HD. So the 6pd will always be plenty for me. 

this truck is like a caddy to me. I grew up with these..,.

99EEEACE-7DD1-4E8B-97C7-B558A021E056.jpeg

48C3E441-325F-4874-A5A3-E19A746A4BE3.jpeg

DCF4354B-9227-4C0D-ACB3-FF660294D785.jpeg

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pryme said:

In all honesty, my needs could have been met with a half ton but every manufacturer ruined their half tons and made them soft looking suvs with beds and all the gimmicky gas mileage crap choking them out. Not interested at all plus I like the more old school look of the HD. So the 6pd will always be plenty for me. 

this truck is like a caddy to me. I grew up with these..,.

99EEEACE-7DD1-4E8B-97C7-B558A021E056.jpeg

48C3E441-325F-4874-A5A3-E19A746A4BE3.jpeg

DCF4354B-9227-4C0D-ACB3-FF660294D785.jpeg

I don't know your age Pryme but I did too.  They were work trucks.  They didn't have leather or any kind of plus interior.  They were work trucks that were dependable and fun to drive.  That's why I bought the custom model.  It was more of a work truck with not many frills.  I love it!!  Here's my window sticker, it had most every option that I wanted....

windowSticker.pdf

Edited by Jettech1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:40 PM, Another JR said:

Are you talking about failures of the version of 6L90E on these actual trucks, which has some torque converter design improvements intended to address past failures, or are you talking about the general history of the 6L90E?  Thanks

Did GM update the components on this generation 2500hd to address the issues? I currently have a 2016 6.0/6l90e with 51k and the convertor has decided to let go. I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer truck since I travel long distances with it. I don't have time to wait on a 10spd truck so I would have to go with a 6l90 again and just wondering if they still suffer the same fate. 

7 hours ago, Chevyfan3 said:

Did GM update the components on this generation 2500hd to address the issues? I currently have a 2016 6.0/6l90e with 51k and the convertor has decided to let go. I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer truck since I travel long distances with it. I don't have time to wait on a 10spd truck so I would have to go with a 6l90 again and just wondering if they still suffer the same fate. 

From what I’ve read, they did beef it up for the 2020+ trucks. I think it was the TC too. 

19 hours ago, Chevyfan3 said:

Yes there was a set of updates they did, including torque converter changes, but I can’t remember where I read about it. 

1 hour ago, Another JR said:

Yes there was a set of updates they did, including torque converter changes, but I can’t remember where I read about it. 

There are videos out there that I can't find right now.  But yes GM did update the Torque converter and put in an extra clutch plack in the 6l90 for the extra torque of the L8T engine.

BTW the parking brake will stay engaged if you are on a incline. Only way to release it is to give it some gas. This is designed this way to stop rollback when on the incline. Mine also engages automatically if an incline is sensed. Don't know how much but will check the inclinometer next time I get into that situation.