In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Are CEO's Worth Their Pay?

diyer2

A strong no from me.

And in case anyone has to chime in about this part, it's safe to assume we are talking about bigger business and corporations and not your small business guy with much less employees and aren't making millions a year with absurd stock options and bonus's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the same opinion as with sports stars. Contracts that adjust with performance. Usually the pay is for past performance and earned. Two year contacts with options based on performance. No big contact buyouts either. You don’t perform you go. Let’s talk teachers and tenure, oh hell never mind.

• Like 2

In a free market companies should pay their executives whatever they want to pay them. 

US workers who right now are the actual taxpayers ( most large US corporations essentially pay $0 in US income taxes) shouldn’t subsidize through the tax laws any pay over a million bucks like they currently do.  

Once again voting matters because US citizens have voted the tax laws into place that benefit large corporations to the point we call them citizens.......entitled citizens who don't pay their way. 

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/citizens-united-explained

Most companies buy goods and services that are write offs. Some expand. All increase demands for more workers and payroll taxes. But let’s just pay more taxes instead. We all know the government is more efficient than business owners are.🥱

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

Most companies buy goods and services that are write offs. Some expand. All increase demands for more workers and payroll taxes. But let’s just pay more taxes instead. We all know the government is more efficient than business owners are.🥱

Why not just have the corporations and uber rich pay their fair share?  Because of the mindset you shared.

Overpaying corporate CEO's is a form of power and financial disparity that will  is ruining  this country. 

More Than 50 Major U.S. Corporations—Including Nike And FedEx—Paid No Federal Taxes Last Year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/04/02/more-than-50-major-us-corporations-including-nike-and-fedex-paid-no-federal-taxes-last-year/?sh=4dd2085021d3

I’ll never assume I know how to fight as service person. I have no knowledge. I was a business owner for many years. I didn’t pay much in income taxes. I did pay my fair share in taxes. Just ask any business owner instead of posting anti business propaganda. Ok back in the box.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’ll never assume I know how to fight as service person. I have no knowledge. I was a business owner for many years. I didn’t pay much in income taxes. I did pay my fair share in taxes. Just ask any business owner instead of posting anti business propaganda. Ok back in the box.

Fair enough.  I was in military 9.5 years.  I even paid taxes then.  

I owned and operated a successful business for 42 years. I paid my fair share of taxes. 

I know you did too.  

Here's the rub.......you weren't a CEO of a fortune 500 company. We are talking billions in lost income taxes that the little guys are paying. 

I am not arguing for more taxes or gov vs business arguments to confuse anyone like you are doing.  You think that your smaller business was  a player like a major fortune 500 Corporate CEO? 

Read the Forbes article and grasp that this is basic fairness not left right or gov vs biz.  In 2020 8.5 BILLION in taxes went unpaid because of the misunderstanding you are articulating.  

I RESPECT your business acumen and success.  I don't respect a select few rich pulling down millions and then paying nothing on the income. 

Mom and Pop pay, the worker bees pay, everyone should contribute something or why have a nation?  

12 minutes ago, customboss said:

Fair enough.  I was in military 9.5 years.  I even paid taxes then.  

I owned and operated a successful business for 42 years. I paid my fair share of taxes. 

I know you did too.  

Here's the rub.......you weren't a CEO of a fortune 500 company. We are talking billions in lost income taxes that the little guys are paying. 

I am not arguing for more taxes or gov vs business arguments to confuse anyone like you are doing.  You think that your smaller business was  a player like a major fortune 500 Corporate CEO? 

Read the Forbes article and grasp that this is basic fairness not left right or gov vs biz.  In 2020 8.5 BILLION in taxes went unpaid because of the misunderstanding you are articulating.  

I RESPECT your business acumen and success.  I don't respect a select few rich pulling down millions and then paying nothing on the income. 

Mom and Pop pay, the worker bees pay, everyone should contribute something or why have a nation?  

Ok last time. This is a big box and I have some knowledge. There’s lots of moving parts. Many people invest in these companies, 401s, IRAs and such. The bottom line effects those investments. Those companies are not owned by one person. There’s nothing more American than a share holding company. It involves many people. Paying ( their fair share) impacts many people. I as a retired person like many would be impacted like many millions. So let us keep the money instead of the government. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Ok last time. This is a big box and I have some knowledge. There’s lots of moving parts. Many people invest in these companies, 401s, IRAs and such. The bottom line effects those investments. Those companies are not owned by one person. There’s nothing more American than a share holding company. It involves many people. Paying ( their fair share) impacts many people. I as a retired person like many would be impacted like many millions. So let us keep the money instead of the government. 

I hear you and bought into that idea for years........., problem is the UBER rich are getting over on the general citizen or small business taxpayer.  BALANCE OF POWER is critical to working well. We are out of balance.  

If Citizens united allows corporations to act like individual citizens then for heck sake they ought to pay taxes too. 

We disagree.  If someone makes money they ought to pay something for the general good. 

I am retired too. I get it.  Poor and working class are getting screwed while investment class is getting over.  Thats out of balance and sooner than later CEO's and ultra uber rich either pay or get lynched. 

Or we could be Russian Federation and allow Oligarchs run us into the ground while voting ourselves into slavery.   Thats where we are headed. 

CEO pay is another canary in the coalmine issue that reflects this problem. 

Uber rich BORROW against wealth and never pay taxes on that and roll the dough until they pass it along to the kids. Poor working folks can't do that and keep getting behind.  Its not a plausible long term plan for a Republic to survive. 

I remember Warren Buffet saying his secretary paid more in taxes than his company, Berkshire Hathaway. He admitted something's wrong.

While I respect all opinions the threads here prove how people see things so differently, thus one of the biggest reasons we are where we are. Getting people on the same page to fix a problem is damn near impossible. Our government is the best example of that. 

If you want to go down the taxes rabbit hole, everyone should pay their share. Simple. 

Ramble on.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Black02Silverado said:

Fair Share Tax?. 

Here we go.

• Haha 2

Unfortunately, executive pay at large corporations also drives the pay of government employees and civic leaders who use these figures to justify handing out more cash to their officers and directors, even charitable organizations use it to justify their director and officer numbers. Public service executives also use it.