Does Onyx Black now have red glitter?

20220516_105504.thumb.jpg.bf7ec998bf6c2b09ebac026a6461f63f.jpg20220516_130953.thumb.jpg.616826e833b2f413466ec9334dad1f2d.jpgTook delivery of my Onyx Black truck yesterday and noticed today it has a metallic reddish base. Is this the new onyx black?

20220514_120621.jpg

20220516_130659.jpg

Edited by 20Denali21

16 minutes ago, 20Denali21 said:

Took delivery of my Onyx Black truck yesterday and noticed today it has a metallic reddish base. Is this the new onyx black?

20220514_120621.jpg

Onyx black doesn't have any metallic. Mosaic black had metallic.

My 2002 Camaro SS is Onyx black and it has metallic in it. The paint code for it is WA8555/41. It looks like the Denali is the same but they've added the 3 character paint code GBA which is also 41/WA8555.

37 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

Once again, you're wrong.

It is worth noting that three of the four new colors are metallic paint options, bringing the total number of metallic paint colors to seven for the 2021 Sierra. With four exterior paint options deleted for the 2021 Sierra 1500, the addition of the four new hues keeps the total number of exterior paint options at 12 for the light duty pickup truck line.

Assigned color code GB8 and touch-up paint code WA-384A, Ebony Twilight Metallic is one of two black exterior paint color options available for the 2021 Sierra 1500, with the other one being Onyx Black. The difference between the two is that Ebony Twilight is a metallic color, while Onyx Black is not.

2 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Onyx Black is NOT metallic, closest black is dark sky metallic

According to Mr. GM authority know it all GETGONE Onyx does have metallic and I'm wrong.  We're talking about new GM trucks in Onyx Black not a 20 year old Camaro. Current Silverado/Sierra Onyx Black isn't metallic.

It is the SAME code 41 WA8555 as my 2002 Camaro which IS metallic! GBA also cross references to WA848

GENERAL MOTORS USA BLACK WA848 1978 1996 METALLIC

A total of ten exterior paint options are offered, including (relevant paint code included in parentheses):

• Cardinal Red (G7C)
  • Cayenne Red Tintcoat (GSK)
  • Desert Sand Metallic (GTL)
  • Dynamic Blue Metallic (GLT)
  • Onyx Black (GBA)
  • Pacific Blue Metallic (GA0)
  • Quicksilver Metallic (GAN)
  • Summit White (GAZ)
  • Titanium Rush Metallic (G6M)
  • White Frost Tintcoat (G1W)

The only exterior color that does not include an extra charge is Summit White. Color availability depends on the trim level selected. For a more complete breakdown of color availability for the refreshed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500, check out the table below:

2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Paint Color Availability
  Paint Code Extra Charge Pro SLE Elevation SLT AT4 AT4X Denali Denali Ultimate
Cardinal Red G7C Yes A A A - - - - -
Cayenne Red Tintcoat GSK Yes - - A A A A A -
Desert Sand Metallic GTL Yes - - A - A A - -
Dynamic Blue Metallic GLT Yes - - A - A A - -
Onyx Black GBA Yes A A A A A A A A
Pacific Blue Metallic GA0 Yes A A - A - - A A
Quicksilver Metallic GAN Yes A A A A A A A A
Summit White GAZ No A A A A A A A -
Titanium Rush Metallic G6M Yes - A A A A A A A
White Frost Tintcoat G1W Yes - - - A - - A

A

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

According to Mr. GM authority know it all GETGONE Onyx does have metallic and I'm wrong.  We're talking about new GM trucks in Onyx Black not a 20 year old Camaro. Current Silverado/Sierra Onyx Black isn't metallic.

Paint formulations DON'T CHANGE!!! That's why they have a SPECIFIC paint CODE, so the mix/formulation is the same to replicate the factory color. It is a VERY subtle metallic and not as obvious as many other black metallics. I know for certain it has metallic in it because I bought a pint to mix with clear to tint my lights on my Camaro and when sprayed it has metallic in it.

• Like 1

I've had several trucks in Onyx Black and none were metallic. You say your GBA is metallic and my GBA trucks weren't.  GBA code has been around for years. GM says GBA isn't metallic so I don't know what to tell you. Why would GM sell a black truck  (Onyx Black GBA) and black Ebony Twilight/Mosaic if both were black metallic?  The same paint code can even vary.  Even though it's black, it may have hues of blue, white mixed in etc. The OP says his Onyx black glitters.  Onyx and Twilight in comparison is like Summit white to Iridescent white. IDK Bud. 

38 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

Paint formulations DON'T CHANGE!!! That's why they have a SPECIFIC paint CODE, so the mix/formulation is the same to replicate the factory color. It is a VERY subtle metallic and not as obvious as many other black metallics. I know for certain it has metallic in it because I bought a pint to mix with clear to tint my lights on my Camaro and when sprayed it has metallic in it.

If it does it's sure not noticeable.  OP says his glitters and I don't see a glitter in Onyx black.

Think the color was the Stripper Limited Edition version. Included glitter in the interior that you can never get rid of.

Lots of explaining to do when you bring home your new truck and show the wife🤔😬🤥😮

• Haha 2

My 2021 Sierra Denali was onyx black as well as my wife's 2021 Yukon. Neither have the reddish/bronze metallic base like my new sierra. The white in the picture is sand most likely because it rained all day yesterday and the sand gets thrown up by other vehicles. My sales manager said he'd take a look Monday but IDK what the solution would be because the whole truck is like this. 

I have an Onyx Black truck and there is definitely no metallic flakes. 

Looking at your picture, I wouldn't say it necessarily looks bad though, might actually look pretty cool! I know that this is one little section of the truck, I'm curious what it looks like from afar in the right lightning. Personally, at first glance it kind of reminded me of all the dust particles that we get all over our cars in the Summer.

With it being brand new, there's all sorts of contributing factors. Maybe the paint really does have some metallic flaking in it? Or maybe some particles just got stuck in the paint? Definitely no harm in asking, worst they can do is give it a nice little detail to see if it gets removed or not. Keep us posted!

Edited by OffTheAir

3 hours ago, OffTheAir said:

I have an Onyx Black truck and there is definitely no metallic flakes. 

Looking at your picture, I wouldn't say it necessarily looks bad though, might actually look pretty cool! I know that this is one little section of the truck, I'm curious what it looks like from afar in the right lightning. Personally, at first glance it kind of reminded me of all the dust particles that we get all over our cars in the Summer.

With it being brand new, there's all sorts of contributing factors. Maybe the paint really does have some metallic flaking in it? Or maybe some particles just got stuck in the paint? Definitely no harm in asking, worst they can do is give it a nice little detail to see if it gets removed or not. Keep us posted!

The whole truck is like that. More on the hood and front end than anywhere else. There is dust in the picture but I'm only talking about the red and it's definitely under the clear.