In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

installed a kicker sub, is it possible to add volume control for the sub alone?

I purchased and installed the kicker sub from the chevy accessories site.  It adds a lot, but makes the fronts unbalanced.  I need to reduce the base otherwise it overpowers the system, and by reducing the base the fronts become a tinny mess.  There are only 4 wires to connect it:  power, ground and 2 leads from a wiring harness in the drivers side kick panel.  Is it possible to bridge the 2 leads with a volume control knob to essentially control the signal strength to the sub?  I'm almost regretting my purchase as it took me ~4 hours to install it and it's not the greatest.  I would rather have purchased a few separate components for the independent controls.  Hoping there's a solution.

btw, it is in no way "plug and play".

Thanks.

I just installed my kicker sub in my Silverado. I bought the kicker bass knob from Amazon. It plugs into the amp and then you can run the wire up to your dash and set the knob wherever you want. That way you can control the equalizer and your sub output. Also on the back of the sub actually on the back of the amp or six dip switches. First three are input levels. I set mine first two up third down four and five up six down.

14 hours ago, newbcakes said:

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  I don't think the sub I purchased has any plugs or dip switches on the onboard amp.

The two leads are tapped into two wires (not RCA).

I have the same sub as you. When I had a problem with my amp, I called the number below. They were super helpful.

Kicker Customer service

(800) 256-0808 

1 hour ago, UrbanRage said:

I have the same sub as you. When I had a problem with my amp, I called the number below. They were super helpful.

Kicker Customer service

(800) 256-0808 

What did you have a problem with and how did they help?

Posted (edited)

@truckguy82 this may be the first. 

Here is what Kicker support said in an email reply to me:  "you must use the bass control or equalizer on the OEM headunit to adjust that product. If you have any further questions let me know. Have a great day."

Edited by newbcakes
too quick on the enter key.

There are controls in the OE head unit; however, by reducing the bass to satisfy the subwoofer, you also reduce the bass to the rest of the system.  This makes the fronts and door speakers sound very tinny and base muddy.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, DCazares said:

What did you have a problem with and how did they help?

The Amp wouldn't power on. Over the phone we tested voltage on a couple of wires and came to the conclusion the amp was internally shorted out. I found them very helpful over the phone.  

Edited by UrbanRage
  • Like 1