Best reason to order a Sunroof

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Ever been to Texas? A friend of ours would get an add on sunroof. Her vehicle would be outside all day. She would open the windows and the roof for a few miles with the AC on. She claims it cools off quicker. One day the lid blew off. That ended that.

I live in Fort Worth and have lived in Texas all my life.

It does cool off quicker if you open all the windows for a little bit to let some of the hot stuffy air ventilate out quicker although with tint that is not such an issue.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, sheath said:

Seeing things from a different vantage point is pretty cool.

(picture out the sunroof of the old Dodge)

Seems silly not to actually get out and hike with a camera...

might as well be watching it on TV. 

• Like 1

Yea, love hate relationship. I will try not to get one ever again, had one on my 2005 Canyon and had it leak multiple times until i put a lot of silicon on the seal, closed it and pulled the fuse. I did like to use it during the summer to get the heat out of the truck faster. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

:thumbs:

Yesterday's adventure in S.W. Utah.

Second time I've had the truck on fire roads.  Dusty fun required closing the sunroof.

This is Blind Lake.  Really pretty area at about 10k' asl. 

Superdog is getting older, so we take it a bit slower, with plenty of rest stops.  She still has heart of a young dog, and loves the exercise.  So we are out pretty much every day.

ETA: she is also a fan of sunroofs, except if we park under a tree with ticks... lol

Blind_Lake_Retrieve.jpg

Cooling_off_on_the_trail.jpg

SW-Utah.jpg

Edited by sheath
Sunroofs aren't good for parking under trees with ticks
  • Like 3

Really like the sunroof in my 18, think I will always have one in my trucks.

GM figured out the gasket on the 16 models. My 14 leaked, 16 never did and 18 has had no problems. There was a noticeable difference on the 14 and 16 models' appearance of the SR gasket. 

They are a feature that is designed to leak, but in a controlled manner so water does not enter the cab. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, diyer2 said:

Skylights. We have 6 of them. Velux is the only brand to have IMO. Brother in-law has them also. Properly installed and roof flashing done right no problem. Ours are 30 years old, have been through many hail storms.

No I know its all in what you buy and maintain.  I'm not old but as I get older I have this desire for maint free and less issues.  Have to worry about shingles every 20 years and I can replace half my roof for the price of one good skylight.  Like I said I havent met a sun roof that hasnt had a problem yet.  I also question the integrity of a sun roof in a crash.  I had a roller once and with a panoramic sun roof specially dont see how we would have survived.

Edited by nards444
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Do you generally get to your hiking spots on foot? Or do you maybe drive a vehicle to get there?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nards444 said:

No I know its all in what you buy and maintain.  I'm not old but as I get older I have this desire for maint free and less issues.  Have to worry about shingles every 20 years and I can replace half my roof for the price of one good skylight.  Like I said I havent meant a sun roof that hasnt had a problem yet.  I also question the integrity of a sun roof in a crash.  I had a roller once and with a panoramic sun roof specially dont see how we would have survived.

Pretty impressive engineering that the cabin of a vehicle is built to function like a roll cage. New convertibles with the swept back windshields are a master feat of engineering when it comes to standing up to roll over. 

My first car was a '59 Austin Healey 100/6. Talk about a flexy-flyer.   That more people weren't killed back then is a testament to Lucas Electrics (hard to roll a vehicle that won't run... lol)

Yesterday's dirt road adventure lead to another fun hike.  This time in Red Canyon.  Big winds blew the dust off the trail, so the Sunroof was open until we parked.  Bryce and Zion are getting packed, so we are doing things outside the N.P.s

No pictures out the sunroof, but it did a great job of providing fresh air without getting a bunch of dust in the truck.

Superdog thinks this small structure would be a great dog house, for when I get in trouble with swmbo.  I'd need a bigger door, but otherwise agree.  It would get used often.  🤣

Some pretty cool rock structures.  Kind of like Mini Arches/Hoodoos.

Red-Canyon-Dog-House.jpg

Red-Canyon-Mini-Hoodoos.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elcamino said:

I use the sunroof but never the rear window. 

Next time you are out try putting the sunroof in vent mode, and then play around incrementally opening the rear window to get a nice breeze over your head and shoulders.  Depending on your speed, this can be better than opening the side windows.  the rear slider also seems to affect the amount of ventilation coming from the dash vents, when not using recirc mode.  

I like messing around with the sunroof and rear window because it's quieter than having the side windows down.  I have tinnitus, and wind noise can be a bit much with all the other frequencies howling in my head... lol 

• Like 1

God I would love to have both a sun roof and a rear slider. That would be amazing. Hopefully I can get the Titan window on my truck at some point, that slider would be open constantly.

• Like 1

The best reason to order a moonroof is to pick up chics or keep yours happy!

The shade gets drawn back on night runs to let in the moon and the stars.  It gets opened in the cooler months in Florida and when I want to cool the truck down quickly.

Enjoy having it and like everything else, will someday require repair.  Maintenance has been easy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...