In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

GAS PRICES

FJB

Around here E85 or really any added "E" is hit and miss on where the prices will be.

In town the 88 octane will be only 5 cents cheaper than 87 and E85 is only 30 cents cheaper. But if I drive a few miles away or even half way across the twin cities a different station will be 25 cents cheaper for 88 octane and E85 will be over a $1 less a gallon. It's easy to spot the stations that try to rake in the profits on E15 or E85 fuels. It's been this way for years too, even before all these world wide and local issues happened. I will gladly drive an extra 10 minutes to save $20 or more when I fill my truck with E85.

• Like 1

Saw an ugly 7.50 price in a store in Southern Cal.  Some Ca drivers have slowed down in an attempt to save gas, but I noticed a lot of Ca drivers just cut back on the the casual trips.  I used to take a couple of casual trips a week.  At 6.50 per gal, that saves me about 174.00 per month without trips.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I expect owner operators to start parking their rigs. I remember years ago a trucker who routinely delivered parts to our shop got a new truck. It was a really nice you could hardly hear it run. It had an over size sleeper. It didn’t get the advertised fuel mileage he was promised. He said he was going to have to give up his rental house until the truck was paid for. That’s how thin the profits are. He was sweating a couple MPGs. They must have a fuel surcharge, I can’t see any other way. There’re asking Texans to raise the thermostat. After the first summer bill people wouldn’t have a choice. 

I paid 4$ for the first time today. Usually my discounts would keep me under. 40$ in a CRV that used to cost 25$. I can’t imagine filling the Avalanche with its 33 gallon tank. There’s no nice smiling people at the gas pumps anymore. I don’t see as many people going inside to buy over priced items in the store. They stand there fill up and leave.  The dollar stores are busier than normal. I bet Starbucks is beginning to suffer. I’m just going to think something political. Rules, you know. I bet you all know what I’m thinking. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank God for Sam’s Club. $4.79 instead of $5.39. Still absurd, of course.0436CBF9-4DEE-40A0-BB7E-FA344678F53B.thumb.jpeg.0efa625d49713809338ba98910c48c98.jpegD057104C-1832-4341-A411-E40DEE545598.thumb.jpeg.96806be18fabc82497346192b2038c42.jpeg

Now everyone on TV is just saying “stop going places, and stop buying stuff”. Yeah, that’s called a recession, genius. I’m sure the airlines and carmakers are primed and ready for another bailout.

what is involved doing a flex fuel conversion? E85 isn't available in this area at this time but I'm sure it will be if this keeps going.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Thank God for Sam’s Club. $4.79 instead of $5.39. Still absurd, of course.

87 is around $4.25 at Costco. Unfortunately, they don't sell diesel, so I'm stuck paying $5.49 at the BP down the street. 

24 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

what happens if you use E85 in a vehicle that's not flex fuel

It will run worse. 85% ethanol requires roughly 30% more fuel all the time to run like it would on regular fuel.

The computers can only compensate so much if you did pump it full of E85. Usually it will start worse, use much more fuel than normal and under heavy throttle it will run lean because it can't put enough fuel in. Plus most OEM's don't give a lot of headroom on stock non flex fuel injectors or fuel pumps.

Like for example a 2004 Silverado 5.3 with non flex fuel injectors doesn't have 30% more headroom to run that fuel.

Pepper is flex fuel and I've been blending to E-50. It only saves me 1 cent a mile so my results say over 800 ish miles. But, all trace of knock r e t a r d is gone as long as I stay over 45% alky. Tested on 5% grades in low speed running on hot days. 90 F. 

Not pulling timing has resulted in a smaller drop than the blend would otherwise deliver. 😉 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Thank God for Sam’s Club. $4.79 instead of $5.39. Still absurd, of course.0436CBF9-4DEE-40A0-BB7E-FA344678F53B.thumb.jpeg.0efa625d49713809338ba98910c48c98.jpegD057104C-1832-4341-A411-E40DEE545598.thumb.jpeg.96806be18fabc82497346192b2038c42.jpeg

Now everyone on TV is just saying “stop going places, and stop buying stuff”. Yeah, that’s called a recession, genius. I’m sure the airlines and carmakers are primed and ready for another bailout.

9.5MPG? I see you are driving with your left foot and using cruise control around the city🤔😬😮

Maybe use the NASCAR method and shut the engine off while coasting in traffic and you might hit 10.0.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

9.5MPG? I see you are driving with your left foot and using cruise control around the city🤔😬😮

Maybe use the NASCAR method and shut the engine off while coasting in traffic and you might hit 10.0.

Maybe. I haven’t seen double digits since I bought the thing. Just happy to be out of the 7s, it was a long winter. 🥶

• Like 1