Towing on spare tire okay?

Planning to tow ~6k pound load 3-4 times/year and wondering if it’s okay to rely on the factory included spare as my backup?  Have considered purchasing a same wheel/tire spare but also happy to rely on the factory full size if it’s capable.

you should be fine as it is a full size spare correct? I just looked at the tire pressure label yesterday and it was the same recommended pressure as the rear tires. I noticed the ratio was different but the diameter should be the same and be more than capable or continuing the tow until you get a replacement tire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxcam02 said:

you should be fine as it is a full size spare correct? I just looked at the tire pressure label yesterday and it was the same recommended pressure as the rear tires. I noticed the ratio was different but the diameter should be the same and be more than capable or continuing the tow until you get a replacement tire.

Appreciate the thinking.  Correct, full size spare and my gray door jam sticker shows its a 17x7 rim with a 265/70R17 tire.  My factory tires are 265/60R20 on 20x9.5 wheels.  Tire size dot com shows the spare has a 31.6" diameter and the factory tires are 32.5" -- a little taller since an AT4.  Hmm, thought they'd be the same, will check the other door jam sticker with PSI on it next time I'm out there to see if the same size spare is indicated.

25 minutes ago, Gray_AT4 said:

Appreciate the thinking.  Correct, full size spare and my gray door jam sticker shows its a 17x7 rim with a 265/70R17 tire.  My factory tires are 265/60R20 on 20x9.5 wheels.  Tire size dot com shows the spare has a 31.6" diameter and the factory tires are 32.5" -- a little taller since an AT4.  Hmm, thought they'd be the same, will check the other door jam sticker with PSI on it next time I'm out there to see if the same size spare is indicated.

Spare is correct.  If you needed to use it, put the spare on the front because of the slight size difference.  

If you wanted, you could switch the tire to a 275/70R17 which would bring the diameter difference to 0.3" smaller.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1