Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Google Maps on 2022 refresh, getting data


Recommended Posts

FYI, to use directions on the built in google maps, internet availability is needed.  So one can pay the subscription ($15/$25), or you can connect to the hotspot on your phone.  I had a chance to try it out yesterday, now that my free month of data is gone.  I don't use any of the streaming music services, so can't speak on that.  Assumption is streaming would work with hotspot also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I don't have a 2022 refresh.. yet

 

Can you still use Android Auto and step around the built-in?

Yes it has wireless Android auto and car play capabilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the system have a built-in NAV system that does not require either a hotspot or data?  So in other words, to get NAV in any shape or form, it has to have wifi?  I know about Carplay/AA just wondering about what it comes delivered with.  If so, that's kind of crappy if you asked me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cltsig said:

Does the system have a built-in NAV system that does not require either a hotspot or data?  So in other words, to get NAV in any shape or form, it has to have wifi?  I know about Carplay/AA just wondering about what it comes delivered with.  If so, that's kind of crappy if you asked me.

 

No, the system is based around the Google Car platform. To use the Google Maps the truck has to have a data connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

 

No, the system is based around the Google Car platform. To use the Google Maps the truck has to have a data connection.

You can download offline maps at various map scales using your homes wifi before you leave on a trip. Or use your hotspot to set directions and Google maps should save the directions and general roads along the route in the temporary files folder. 

This is all assuming the Google maps works completely the same as it does on all Android operating systems. So far as I have been using it, it is pretty much the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

First off the truck is a data hog.  I picked it up May 4th and by May 17th the data was gone. The  weather was nice so I was riding my motorcycle and I had only actually drove the truck 4 times maybe.

 

I tried to hot spot it to my iPhone the truck will not even see the hot spot.

 

If you use offline maps they expire after 1 day and then vanish.

 

It's looking like it's all setup to force you to buy data.

 

If anyone hot spotted an iPhone to the thing Please let me know what you did to make it work. I even tried to manually enter the hotspot name/password and nothing.

 

Makes me mad I have unlimited data on my phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, BigBadSierra said:

First off the truck is a data hog.  I picked it up May 4th and by May 17th the data was gone. The  weather was nice so I was riding my motorcycle and I had only actually drove the truck 4 times maybe.

 

I tried to hot spot it to my iPhone the truck will not even see the hot spot.

 

If you use offline maps they expire after 1 day and then vanish.

 

It's looking like it's all setup to force you to buy data.

 

If anyone hot spotted an iPhone to the thing Please let me know what you did to make it work. I even tried to manually enter the hotspot name/password and nothing.

 

Makes me mad I have unlimited data on my phone.

I would check to see what signal your hotspot is transmitting on. My guess is the refresh infotainment will only recognize 5 gHz transmissions and not the old 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi signal

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I messed with the Compatibility setting and the truck now sees my IPhone.

 

But I have confirmed Hey Google and advanced Map features will only run off of the truck data plan. It actually bring up a message stating this.

 

So the only thing I've gained is google maps basic operation.

 

The truck will not even pass the speed limit over to the dash from maps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, BigBadSierra said:

 

 

If you use offline maps they expire after 1 day and then vanish.

 

It's looking like it's all setup to force you to buy data.

 

If anyone hot spotted an iPhone to the thing Please let me know what you did to make it work. I even tried to manually enter the hotspot name/password and nothing.

 

Makes me mad I have unlimited data on my phone.

I just (re) checked on my android phone .

 

Maps areas covering routes I have viewed in the last few days have automatically saved the regions in 'offline maps' have expiration dates that are a year away, not a day away. 

 

I have no idea how long googlemaps stores them on an iphone -- it I'd guess they should be the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bcp23 said:

Is the maps on the right side where the clock is part of the data plan? Because mine vanished after a couple weeks??

 

Yes. The small map on the right requires the data plan to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

So I've red multiple threads regarding the functionality of the built-in Google Maps working or not working WITHOUT a data plan and some mention it flat out does nothing like inputting a location and getting directions to it and others say it works. If it is connected to a hotspot does the built-in Google Map capable of giving directions minus the "Advanced Feature - speed limit display and Hey Google"? Just trying to understand the design it was meant to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.