Anybody else hate their factory Goodyear Wranglers?

33 minutes ago, customboss said:

Mud dirt, sand, gravel, rocky roads they perform. If you go snow or icy get the E's 

I believe my C's are 3PMSF (3 peak) but I could be mistaken.  Maybe there is something I am missing?

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

I believe my C's are 3PMSF (3 peak) but I could be mistaken.  Maybe there is something I am missing?

If imprinted on side they are. If you can’t find it they aren’t. Mine aren’t. Brand new in November 2021. 

• 2 weeks later...

I added a set of Duratracs to my last truck and they definitely got much louder as they wore.  They were great off roading, but the highway noise became maddening.  If look at the threads of a new Duratrac tire you will notice that the thread blocks are chamfered at the very top.  Once that chamfer wears off they will be loud no matter how often you rotate them.  The noise is built into the design.  I suspect they're designed that way to make the OEMs happy.  The truck will be quiet at the dealership, but then noisy after 5-10k miles.

My AT4 came with the Goodyear Trailrunners (275/60R20).  I have no complaints so far.  I might buy the next size (275/65R20) up when these wear out.  That size appears to fit stock suspension without rubbing.  I really like the look of the Territory MTs, but they don't come in many sizes.  I want a slightly taller tire than stock, not a smaller one (265/60R20).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just picked up my new 22 AT4, 3.0, cayenne red that came with the Duratracs in LT 275/65R18 range C. These tires are stamped M+S but do not have the 3-peak symbol. I traded my previous 2020 AT4 that came with the 20" GY Trailrunner tires. I decided to go with the 18" wheels for a little more sidewall on the new truck but I knew the Duratracs might be a bit noisy. I only have 100 miles on them and can tell they are noisier than my previous Trailrunners. The Duratracs do look good though! I don't need an aggressive off-road tire though and don't have much patience for tire roar, so once these become too noisy (which might not be that long) I'll swap them for something quieter. 

The new GY Territory look good and so far people seem to like them and say they are not as noisy. They make them in a P275/65R18 too, although not as a LT tire. Would a tire shop be OK putting a P - passenger tire on a truck that came with LTs? I know the 2500s and up they can't do that due to load rating, but this is still a half-ton truck that comes with P tires in other configurations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6sigma said:

The new GY Territory look good and so far people seem to like them and say they are not as noisy. They make them in a P275/65R18 too, although not as a LT tire. Would a tire shop be OK putting a P - passenger tire on a truck that came with LTs? I know the 2500s and up they can't do that due to load rating, but this is still a half-ton truck that comes with P tires in other configurations. 

You'll be fine.  I dumped my Duratracs and replaced them with a P rated Michelins that had a higher load rating than the original Duratracs.  Discount Tire swapped them out without blinking an eye.  I think the Duratracs are rated LT mostly for puncture resistance/toughness and not for load carrying ability.  

The only thing you'll want to watch is the TPMS.  My AT4 door sticker had 41lbs to match the original LT Duratracs.  When I went to the P metric tires, they were rated at 35 and I have yet to get a tire pressure warning.  I didn't have the TPMS re-calibrated to the new tires and I keep them at 35-36 with no issues.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, OliverDennis52 said:

You'll be fine.  I dumped my Duratracs and replaced them with a P rated Michelins that had a higher load rating than the original Duratracs.  Discount Tire swapped them out without blinking an eye.  I think the Duratracs are rated LT mostly for puncture resistance/toughness and not for load carrying ability.  

The only thing you'll want to watch is the TPMS.  My AT4 door sticker had 41lbs to match the original LT Duratracs.  When I went to the P metric tires, they were rated at 35 and I have yet to get a tire pressure warning.  I didn't have the TPMS re-calibrated to the new tires and I keep them at 35-36 with no issues.

Sounds right.  I generally don't get a low tire pressure indicator until I get to the high 20's.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:09 PM, OliverDennis52 said:

What Michelin tire did you go with? Same size as the Duratracs? I'm looking at the new GY Territory AT (not the MT version) or the Cooper Discoverer AT which is 3-peak rated and seems to have really good reviews. I'm thinking to stay with factory size so don't have an issue with the spare tire and speedo stays accurate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 6sigma said:

What Michelin tire did you go with? Same size as the Duratracs? I'm looking at the new GY Territory AT (not the MT version) or the Cooper Discoverer AT which is 3-peak rated and seems to have really good reviews. I'm thinking to stay with factory size so don't have an issue with the spare tire and speedo stays accurate. 

I went with the Michelin Defender LTX.  They are basically an all season no frills tire.  They look pedestrian but perform very well for what I use my truck for.  Quiet with good performance in dry/rain/snow.  Not an off-road tire by any stretch.

19 hours ago, OliverDennis52 said:

I went with the Michelin Defender LTX.  They are basically an all season no frills tire.  They look pedestrian but perform very well for what I use my truck for.  Quiet with good performance in dry/rain/snow.  Not an off-road tire by any stretch.

But they are quiet, smooth, and last forever.  I have them on my wife's SUV and they are wonderful for what they are.

My neighbor has them on this 2021 Silverado and I been paying attention when he drives by, the are loud at 15 mph. If I close my eyes I would know it was him driving by.   One look at the big block tread and you know they will make noise and get worse as the wear.

One tire I have fallen in love with is the Sumitomo Encounter AT's. One my third set on 3 different trucks. Never notice any road noise, wet traction is great and I was able to climb a dirt road up past Taos Ski valley in my 2017 2wd Silverado. I just put them, and my new wheels, on my 22 4wd. Only terrain I have no experience with is in snow but the snow rating  spec is "Severe Snow Service Rated" whatever that means for you northern folk.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2021 LT Trailboss that I had aftermarket wheels and 285/70/17's on it.  I didnt really hear any road noise to speak of ever. I had a loaner custom trail boss a few days ago  with the factory 18's and 275's and it was loud as sin. It didnt bother me, just was weird that a smaller width tire was louder. I wonder if it was more rubber side wall dampening it, or something else. It was just odd that 2 very similar trucks sounded so different.

2 hours ago, Brent D said:

It was just odd that 2 very similar trucks sounded so different.

What were your tires? The tread pattern makes all the difference in the world as to noise. There's a whole science to it so it has desired traction and wear characteristics along with noise.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, jaxcam02 said:

Only terrain I have no experience with is in snow but the snow rating  spec is "Severe Snow Service Rated" whatever that means for you northern folk.

10% more traction in snow and ice.  Usually accomplished by sipes and/or silicate in tread compound. It makes a big difference for those of us in mountains on unimproved roads that drift. Add in freeze, melt, refreeze cycle over 5-6 months and we gotta have something capable of snow, ice, and mud. 

Our  2022 Trail Boss Custom needs that improvement in tires here. I air down for now and add weight to bed until I save up to buy a better snow/ice tire. Otherwise the sound doesn't bother me or wife and we love the overall performance so far at 14000 miles on the truck. 

We made a 3500 mile trip on highways up to 80 mph cruise and they are amazingly good wearing great too. Braking even wet and torquing them at relatively high speed on ramps on a 2" lift was exceptional with no body sway and rock solid stability. 

The E rated version for me is a consideration. Will take a look at Sumitomo Encounter AT  in my stock size 275/65 18.  class C is ok for me since I don't tow anything for now.  If  I can get a E that is lighter than most  I would consider that. Can't find D anymore it seems. 

14 hours ago, GETGONE said:

What were your tires? The tread pattern makes all the difference in the world as to noise. There's a whole science to it so it has desired traction and wear characteristics along with noise.

both were duratracs