In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Need help. 3.0L diesel multiple (and major) warranty issues - engine and turbo(s)

I need help and information if any of you have had repeated issues with your turbo on the 3.0L diesel.  But before I begin...

Some of you may remember I am the guy who got a new motor at 75k miles dues to an oil squirter falling out of the block and hitting the crankshaft.  Here is that thread:

The engine failed Thanksgiving weekend 2021.  In Feb 2022, I got another reduced engine power code:  "turbo position not learned" or something like that.  This was exactly 7000 miles after the motor was replaced.  The dealer replaced the turbo and sent me on my way.  (GM extended my warranty by 40k miles)

Fast forward to May of 2022, another 7000 miles, guess what?  Yes.  Another turbo error.  Same one.  "turbo position not learned".  They are replacing the turbo (again!) but aren't ruling out other issues, i.e. ECM or "software glitch".  There is a GM engineer working on the truck now at my dealer.  I have an inside source at GM advocating for me (she is AWESOME!), and I can promise you my situation has gotten visibility to the executive level at GM. Today makes 12 weeks my truck has been in the shop since Thanksgiving.  As of today, GM has no idea what the root cause is, and I don't expect my truck back anytime soon...

I was simply curious if any of you have heard about this or experienced something similar?  Any tips or suggestions?  What worked and what didn't?  My dealer's Service Manager is genuinely trying to help, and if I can get her any information, it would be helpful.

I don't believe for one minute there just happened to be two bad turbos...both on my truck...both failing at exactly 7000 miles.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, James Eberhart said:

I need help and information if any of you have had repeated issues with your turbo on the 3.0L diesel.  But before I begin...

Some of you may remember I am the guy who got a new motor at 75k miles dues to an oil squirter falling out of the block and hitting the crankshaft.  Here is that thread:

The engine failed Thanksgiving weekend 2021.  In Feb 2022, I got another reduced engine power code:  "turbo position not learned" or something like that.  This was exactly 7000 miles after the motor was replaced.  The dealer replaced the turbo and sent me on my way.  (GM extended my warranty by 40k miles)

Fast forward to May of 2022, another 7000 miles, guess what?  Yes.  Another turbo error.  Same one.  "turbo position not learned".  They are replacing the turbo (again!) but aren't ruling out other issues, i.e. ECM or "software glitch".  There is a GM engineer working on the truck now at my dealer.  I have an inside source at GM advocating for me (she is AWESOME!), and I can promise you my situation has gotten visibility to the executive level at GM. Today makes 12 weeks my truck has been in the shop since Thanksgiving.  As of today, GM has no idea what the root cause is, and I don't expect my truck back anytime soon...

I was simply curious if any of you have heard about this or experienced something similar?  Any tips or suggestions?  What worked and what didn't?  My dealer's Service Manager is genuinely trying to help, and if I can get her any information, it would be helpful.

I don't believe for one minute there just happened to be two bad turbos...both on my truck...both failing at exactly 7000 miles.

You need to have GM buy this truck back from you. Does not even matter what the issue is at this point. 12 weeks in the shop is unacceptable.

Don’t tell me you still had to make payments for these 12 weeks that your truck has been inoperable?

Lemon law!

Lots and lots and lots of posters reporting odometers way way higher than 7000 miles and not reporting turbo problems. 

Otoh, there was a notice/bulletin (in 2020 iirc) about loose turbo actuator bolts -- but the related codes do not include the one you are reporting.  That bulletin indicated that if the threads were damaged, the turbo needed to be replaced, as actuator was not available separately.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The option to get me out of the truck is on the table, but they are going to see if they can fix it first.  Lemon Law does not apply in my state ( I think ) as it has been owned more than 1 year.  Getting a new truck is VERY messy as I have a lift kit / tires / wheels / bed cover / safe / storage - and all would need to be moved to the new truck.

I have not been making payments as the truck is paid for.

This is now week 13...  I can't just go all ballistic as I do have the inside source who is very much trying to help...and if they can't find the root cause, she will be the first one to advocate for a new truck (and making me whole).  I need to let the process run...as frustrating as it is.

Edited by James Eberhart

wow James, sounds like you have been very patient,I can't imagine 13 weeks without my vehicle that's already paid for.

Give them a deadline and if they are unable to fix it properly then accept the new truck and "due to the 13 weeks inconvenience" have them swap everything out to the new truck, I mean 40 hours of labor to move everything is not going to break GM and it is the minimum that they can do for you. I would propose this to your inside source who is helping you.

Good luck.

If I didn't have my truck after 3 weeks, I'd be up there a** looking for a replacement truck, or a car to drive while they do whatever they need to. On top of that, I wouldn't continue the payments... So difficult.

I've been eyeing the 3.0 Duramax when I move to the 22+, this isn't a fun read for someone looking at the duramaxes! I hope you don't give up on GM from this experience.

As a tech, i have not seen one turbo issue nor have any other techs in this dealership. I do know the 20's had harness issues and I would assume that's a potential cause for these repeat/same code instances. 

Sorry to hear about your luck on this.

Turbo has been replaced and they are "putting miles on it".  Which is a polite way to say everyone is driving it except me!

ECM is also going to be replaced again.  At some point after that replacement, I get the truck back while GM figures out the root cause.  Still no definitive root cause that I have been told.

I told GM today my expectations are that if the truck is fixed, they shall extend the warranty again, and give me an agreement that if this happens again, they own the truck.  No response to that yet.  We shall see.

Today makes the beginning of week 14....

Sounds like a lot of B.S from G.M. I feel like you  need to be more aggressive on this issue to come to a positive  resolution once and for all.

Update.  I get the truck back today.  14.5 weeks in the shop since Thanksgiving...

Turbo replaced (again).  ECM replaced (again).  No definitive root cause given yet, but GM's prevailing theory is a "bent rod" in the turbo...manufacturing defect.  Honestly, I'm not buying it.  You would think if it were a mfg defect it would show up immediately, not after 7,000 miles.  I also have a hard time believing two turbos failed in the exact same way on my particular truck.  Seems like the chances of that happening are almost non-existent.  However, like I said before, I'm going to let them run their process and see what happens.  Both the turbo and the ECM have been returned to Detroit for root cause confirmation.

Demon, thanks for the tip on the harness issue.  Both the dealer tech and the GM Engineer claim they checked for that on my truck and it is NOT an issue.  Demon, perhaps you can comment on what "rod" is in the turbo?  Is that the rod that controls the intake opening?  @DemonWorks

GM is extending my ENTIRE powertrain warranty to 150k miles, and they threw in a 36,000 mile maintenance agreement for my troubles.  The truck has about 90,000 miles on it now.  Since both turbo failures happened at roughly 7,000 miles, I assume if I get to 150K miles then I hopefully will be good to go long-term.  We shall see.  Isn't the oil pump belt needed at 120,000 miles?  Looks like maybe I can skip the cost of that big service...

I know some of you will say "trade that sucker in before it breaks again!"  I hear ya, but that's complicated.  I'd not only be adding a truck payment, but losing the lift kit / tires / wheels (without some major hassles).  Since I like the truck, and this truck is exactly what I want, I'll have to think on this hard.

My honest expectation is I will have the failure again in 5-10k miles.  GM understands at that point, I'm done and they claim if it happens again, they will work out a deal with me for a new truck.  No idea on details yet.

Thoughts?