In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Inverters battery powered.

KARNUT

The cord size will be determined by the amp draw. Long runs go next size up. If you are going to use all of the 9000 watts at 120 volts = 75 amps. Take the total watts you will be using and divide by 120 volts = amps. Don't forget motor start demand like on your fridge and freezer.

Amperage Capacities for Standard Non-Metallic (NM) Cable
16-gauge wire 13 amps
14-gauge wire 15 amps
12-gauge wire 20 amps
10-gauge wire 30 amps
8-gauge wire 40 amps
6-gauge wire 55 amps
4-gauge wire 70 amps
3-gauge wire 85 amps
2-gauge wire 95 amps

WIRE SIZING CHARTS

Maximum Ampacities for Wire

The table below shows allowable ampacities of conductors (wires) in conduit, raceway, cable or directly buried, in an ambient  temperature of 30°C (86°F). National Electrical Code (NEC) allows rounding up cable ampacity to next size standard fuse or breaker.

For ambient temperatures above 30°C (86°F), multiply the allowable ampacities shown at right by the correction factor listed under the insulation temperature rating below.

insolation2_large.png?v=1532642278

Insolation3_large.png?v=1532642335

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

The cord size will be determined by the amp draw. Long runs go next size up. If you are going to use all of the 9000 watts at 120 volts = 75 amps. Take the total watts you will be using and divide by 120 volts = amps. Don't forget motor start demand like on your fridge and freezer.

Amperage Capacities for Standard Non-Metallic (NM) Cable
16-gauge wire 13 amps
14-gauge wire 15 amps
12-gauge wire 20 amps
10-gauge wire 30 amps
8-gauge wire 40 amps
6-gauge wire 55 amps
4-gauge wire 70 amps
3-gauge wire 85 amps
2-gauge wire 95 amps

WIRE SIZING CHARTS

Maximum Ampacities for Wire

The table below shows allowable ampacities of conductors (wires) in conduit, raceway, cable or directly buried, in an ambient  temperature of 30°C (86°F). National Electrical Code (NEC) allows rounding up cable ampacity to next size standard fuse or breaker.

For ambient temperatures above 30°C (86°F), multiply the allowable ampacities shown at right by the correction factor listed under the insulation temperature rating below.

insolation2_large.png?v=1532642278

Insolation3_large.png?v=1532642335

The highest outlet on the inverter generator is a 4 prong twist lock 120/240 30 amp. It’s going to a interlocking plug to be installed by the breaker. I’m hoping to put the generator in my detached garage about 30ft from the house. I’m going to modify the exhaust to the outside. This is so during tropical weather I can service the generator during a storm. A  50 ft cord will be perfect. I’m hoping the breaker Is wired so I can turn on and off the ones I want to use. That will be my request anyway. My priorities are refrigerator, chest freezer and a 5000 window unit. My generator is a 8750 predator with 7000 watt running. I stay away from electricity. I leave it to the pros. Also I planning for my older age. The generator will be in a semi permanent location. I don’t want to pull around 165LBs.