2022 Refresh Infotainment / Google Maps - make sure to update your apps in Google Play

I have only had my 2022 (refresh) Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4 for a month, and yesterday I started experiencing an issue with Google Maps that had me wondering whether there was an issue with my GPS antenna, or possibly the Infotainment system itself.

For clarification, this is not in reference to Android Auto, but the actual Maps application and subscription you pay for to use in the vehicle.

Anyway, the Maps application (both the actual full-screen and mini-map on the right side of screen when using other apps) refused to load.  It would start up like it was going to load fine, then go back to the home screen (or black screen for mini-map on right side).  After calling OnStar, they had me go through the radio reset process with them and that did absolutely nothing.  The rep on the phone then requested I take the vehicle in to my local dealer.

After getting off of the phone with the OnStar rep, I realized that this is essentially Android apps, so I was just going to delete the Google Maps application and reinstall it through Google Play to see if maybe that would clear whatever software issue it was having.  As soon as I load into Google Play, it shows there is an update for none other than Google Maps  "Well son of a ******... has it been an update issue this whole time?"

Downloaded the update, turn off the truck and restart it (I work in IT so "turn it off and turn it on again").  Everything works again as intended!

Be sure to check your apps in Google Play for updates if you are running a 2022 refresh!

• 4 months later...

I was told that the speed limit display on the IP comes from the on board nav. I much prefer Apple Maps so have never activated the on board nav and since you have to pay for it I probably never will. Just wondering what will happen to the speed limit display without any updates?

On 11/5/2022 at 1:02 PM, Tom73 said:

I was told that the speed limit display on the IP comes from the on board nav. I much prefer Apple Maps so have never activated the on board nav and since you have to pay for it I probably never will. Just wondering what will happen to the speed limit display without any updates?

The requirement is have a subscription with Onstar for the Google Maps  to displays the speed limit numerics. Without the subscription it does not work and even an update will not change that fact.

• 4 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, slzr2460 said:

Did you have to update google maps on your phone or did you have to update google maps on your truck? If you did it on your truck where did you go to do that. Thanks.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, ddc1279 said:

I have only had my 2022 (refresh) Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4 for a month, and yesterday I started experiencing an issue with Google Maps that had me wondering whether there was an issue with my GPS antenna, or possibly the Infotainment system itself.

For clarification, this is not in reference to Android Auto, but the actual Maps application and subscription you pay for to use in the vehicle.

Anyway, the Maps application (both the actual full-screen and mini-map on the right side of screen when using other apps) refused to load.  It would start up like it was going to load fine, then go back to the home screen (or black screen for mini-map on right side).  After calling OnStar, they had me go through the radio reset process with them and that did absolutely nothing.  The rep on the phone then requested I take the vehicle in to my local dealer.

After getting off of the phone with the OnStar rep, I realized that this is essentially Android apps, so I was just going to delete the Google Maps application and reinstall it through Google Play to see if maybe that would clear whatever software issue it was having.  As soon as I load into Google Play, it shows there is an update for none other than Google Maps  "Well son of a ******... has it been an update issue this whole time?"

Downloaded the update, turn off the truck and restart it (I work in IT so "turn it off and turn it on again").  Everything works again as intended!

Be sure to check your apps in Google Play for updates if you are running a 2022 refresh!

How often do you have the update the maps, it’s very annoying as the maps seldom work.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how to change Google Maps to Satellite View?

I have a 2023 Denali with the 13.4 infotainment screen & when I open the google maps app I only get the defaul view, can't find the satellite view option,

I rather have the built-in google maps app instead of CarPlay (I'm iPhone user btw) this because I can have Google Maps in full screen if I just hide the right section where shows clock, mini map, etc 

if it was possible having full screen of google maps when using car play would be the best unfourtunely this cant happen as far as I know

Edited by jorge-mendoza

18 hours ago, jorge-mendoza said:

Does anyone know how to change Google Maps to Satellite View?

I have the 13.4 infotainment screen & when I open the google maps app I only get the defaul view, can't find the satellite view option,

I rather have the built-in google maps app instead of CarPlay (I'm iPhone user btw) this because I can have Google Maps in full screen if I just hide the right section where shows clock, mini map, etc 

if it was possible having full screen of google maps when using car play would be the best unfourtunely this cant happen as far as I know

Following because I tried to figure out the same, I use the Wireless carplay as well but a full screen of satellite maps would be much nicer. I was in a 2023 Lexus and Carplay fills the whole 14" screen without being stretched, looks very nice