Anyone tried to cut the active shutters?

You can remove the assembly or cut the vanes but the servo module has to stay connected to the can bus so the ECU "thinks" that they are opening and shutting.  There are no limit switches on the vanes, the motor goes to its full limits in either direction.  If it does not see a current overload it "thinks" the vanes are completely closed or open.  You really are not going to pick up much air flow but if you want to remove them it is not going to hurt anything.  I have not found anyone that can program GM or Chrysler new ECU / ECM's to write this routine out of the code.  Obviously, this will void you warranty is that matters.

I did it with my 18 Ram and it dropped the temps by 20*, thats huge.I was just wondering if anyone had tried it with the GMC. The Ram temps went from 205 to 185 oil and water , trans hovered 180 b4 and after.

4 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Removing the shutters is not going to give you more air flow as there is no restriction when there open.

But they close, I don't want them closed. Radiators never had them b4. They are only there to give better MPGs.

1 hour ago, Byrds8 said:

I thought the shutters are full open after the truck is warmed up? Is that not accurate?

From what I understand, they remain closed during warm up to warm the engine up faster for emissions, same reason why the idle is higher during start up to warm the catalytic converters up faster. At least that's what I thought.

There should be no or very little difference to removing them after the warm up cycle is completed since they open fully. 

Edited by jaxcam02

Right, after warm up its all the computer controlling the fans and thermostat. My fans dont come on til 220 for my understanding and I regularly see temps hit 225. I have asked several dealers about it and they say its working as intended. Personally I think thats hot as hell though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byrds8 said:

Right, after warm up its all the computer controlling the fans and thermostat. My fans dont come on til 220 for my understanding and I regularly see temps hit 225. I have asked several dealers about it and they say its working as intended. Personally I think thats hot as hell though.

Are you saying the newest models of the Ecotec3 motors no longer have a mechanical water thermostat?