Dead Truck! Can't get inside. ARRRGGGHH!!!

I had to travel out of town for a couple weeks, and had let my truck sit for a couple weeks before that.  I purchased some parts for it while I was gone, and now that I'm back, I went to get into it to install the parts, but fob does nothing; no lights flash, no beep, no doors unlock, nothing!  So, I suspect a dead battery, but when I inserted the key in the driver's door, and turned it, either way, nothing happened, and I'm unable to get inside.  Is there some key or sequence that I need to do to get in?  I tried contacting the guy I bought the truck from a couple months ago, but it appears he's ghosting me.  I can't get in the hood to check or charge the batteries if I can't get inside to unlock/unlatch the hood, so I'm a bit frustrated.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry!  Almost forgot.  My truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab with the 6.6L: diesel engine.

Edited by ABQ-Jammer

if you can access the positive lug on the starter you could try jumping it that way. the linkage to the door lock cylinder may be disconncted. there used to be a lock out tool that would go below the window and push the lock button up

Locksmiths have a tool that can snake under the window, out the other side, and hit the lock slider inside the truck.

Is there a way to put power to the truck from outside with a jump box?  Either the starter wire or even through the trailer wiring harness or something?

3 hours ago, shakenfake said:

That guy was able to get it in another thread

Glad to hear.

One thing that sucked on mine was that after the inlaws decided to demolition derby it (not really, but you'd think they did by looking at it) they had a replacement door installed with a different lock.  So I could only unlock the driver's side door by the fob.

I was gonna transfer the lock set over but then realized I could push the dent out of the original door with my hand.  So I did that and put the original door back on.  It's not perfect but it's a damn sight better than the one that they had put on.

The knucklehead that put the door on also tried to destroy the interior panel (4 of the 8 plastic clips that connect it to the door were broken, plus both screws were missing.  The panel came off in my hand when I closed the door).

On 8/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, SC Tiger said:

Is there a way to put power to the truck from outside with a jump box?  Either the starter wire or even through the trailer wiring harness or something?

I found this out on YouTube.  A guy hooked a jump box to the starter, and was able to use the fob to open the doors, and I tried it, and it worked!  When I tested the batteries, I found one had 5.3v, and the other had -1.4v, so I had to replace both of them.

1 hour ago, ABQ-Jammer said:

I found this out on YouTube.  A guy hooked a jump box to the starter, and was able to use the fob to open the doors, and I tried it, and it worked!  When I tested the batteries, I found one had 5.3v, and the other had -1.4v, so I had to replace both of them.

Funny story - the battery on my wife's Pilot died.  I had a jump box in the back in a small side compartment.

Problem was - to open that compartment I had to open the lift gate.  And you need battery power to do that.......😧

So, I had to hook a battery charger to the battery, use that to get power to the lift gate, and then start the car.

I now keep that jump box in the door pocket on the rear door.

Also - we found that the battery connection was loose, which was causing intermittant contact and not allowing the battery to fully charge.  I went to get it tested, the guy went to put the tester on it, and said 'I think I found your problem' and popped the cable loose.  We put a shim on it and fixed it right up.

I felt kinda stupid - I'd been chasing that issue for weeks but it was intermittent.  I will say, it will make you appreciate the GM side terminal setup.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:25 PM, shakenfake said:

I hate in laws. The only damage my truck has on it is from my girlfriend scratching the side. Hence nobody but me drives the truck. Not exactly the same but similar lol

My dad always said "never loan out cars or guns".

I now know why - though I have borrowed cars before.  And will loan my car out again - just not to the inlaws.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, SC Tiger said:

Funny story - the battery on my wife's Pilot died.  I had a jump box in the back in a small side compartment.

Problem was - to open that compartment I had to open the lift gate.  And you need battery power to do that.......😧

So, I had to hook a battery charger to the battery, use that to get power to the lift gate, and then start the car.

I now keep that jump box in the door pocket on the rear door.

Also - we found that the battery connection was loose, which was causing intermittant contact and not allowing the battery to fully charge.  I went to get it tested, the guy went to put the tester on it, and said 'I think I found your problem' and popped the cable loose.  We put a shim on it and fixed it right up.

I felt kinda stupid - I'd been chasing that issue for weeks but it was intermittent.  I will say, it will make you appreciate the GM side terminal setup.

I found another jump starter on eBay for about $25, so may get an extra one of those to have at the house, just in case.

Thankfully, with mine having a 6" lift, it was easy to get under it to hook onto the starter.

• 3 months later...