Remanufactured 5.3L V8 Engine - 2000 Silverado

17 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Yes the generation after this was and is trash.

Biggest issue I've heard is rust on the frame.  Not sure how big that issue is in South Carolina though.  But supposedly the issue is REALLY bad.  To the point that there was a recall/TSB issued that involved removing the body from the frame and spraying the frame with a rust preventative.

Edited by SC Tiger

15 hours ago, richard wysong said:

the problem with the 2.8 was that the intake gaskets were under the valve covers so the first indication most ppl had that there was a problem is when it overheated. By then the oil looked like chocolate milk and the bearings were gone but it had great oil pressure until you changed the oil. then the op light would be on as soon as it warmed up

My family had four cars with the 2.8L and 3.1L engines.

1986 Camaro

1990 Lumina Euro

1996 Grand Am

2002 Malibu

Three had this issue, and the one that I never found it on (the Lumina) probably had it too.  My understanding is that GM never fixed it, even though Fel-Pro (I think) actually developed an improved gasket that would solve the problem.

The Camaro blew up as a result (we caught the issue too late), the Grand Am (my parents' car) was traded on a Honda, and the Malibu was traded....on a Honda.

only you can make the determination on putting $3-5k into the truck. It is 22years old and when you change the engine or the heads you will find other things that need addressing. If there's an LKQ PickaPart yard in your area their prices are very reasonable and you may find a used engine with lower miles and the other parts you need. Keep us posted

• Like 1

Is it worth it is a interesting concept. Let’s take my Avalanche that was 18 years old when I bought it. It had 167K miles and complete maintenance records. Looked new outside. The driver side leather seat had wear. I paid including ttl 6700$. The primary use is a second vehicle . The first thing I did was take a 1000 miles round trip. Now it stays in town. So far I had AC work for a total of 200$. In January I will hit 3 years and 15K miles. 2 times a year the low water light comes on. No evidence in the oil. If you keep up with maintenance address problems as they happen putting in an engine would amount to a couple new car payments in today’s market. My wife’s 12 year old Genesis just had major maintenance I had some things changed as a preventative 2900$. Already paid in months used versus payments. Liking your ride plays into the equation. Let’s face reality most of us change rides for the next shiny thing. Personally I don’t like all the new electronics in vehicles there’re distracting. My CRV even though I have everything turned off I can. The annoying brake light flashing when someone pulls into the left turn lane in front of me. Is distracting more than help. 

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Is it worth it is a interesting concept. Let’s take my Avalanche that was 18 years old when I bought it. It had 167K miles and complete maintenance records. Looked new outside. The driver side leather seat had wear. I paid including ttl 6700$. The primary use is a second vehicle . The first thing I did was take a 1000 miles round trip. Now it stays in town. So far I had AC work for a total of 200$. In January I will hit 3 years and 15K miles. 2 times a year the low water light comes on. No evidence in the oil. If you keep up with maintenance address problems as they happen putting in an engine would amount to a couple new car payments in today’s market. My wife’s 12 year old Genesis just had major maintenance I had some things changed as a preventative 2900$. Already paid in months used versus payments. Liking your ride plays into the equation. Let’s face reality most of us change rides for the next shiny thing. Personally I don’t like all the new electronics in vehicles there’re distracting. My CRV even though I have everything turned off I can. The annoying brake light flashing when someone pulls into the left turn lane in front of me. Is distracting more than help. 

I think there are a couple of issues at play here - is it worth it to fix it.  Interesting question on two levels.  I've stated my mathematical equation (used the same one when spending $900 to fix the AC on my Honda Civic, and it's still going 3 years later).  However, the second factor is - do you need to fix it or will it hurt anything?  It sounds like, IF yours has this issue, it may not even be worth worrying about.  You can a) drive it and not worry about it, b) drive it and when it does let go, plan to replace the engine, or c) fix it now with either new heads or an engine.  I'm somewhere between b and c.  You might be at a. 

If the truck is in good shape otherwise, I think mathematically it makes sense to fix vs replace.  

I'm thinking I might pull the oil sensor and see if there is any sludge in that area or - if I can access it - the oil pickup.  If so, that's an automatic engine replacement.  If there isn't, it might be worth a gamble to replace the heads.

And even if the engine then blows, I can probably either re-use the heads or sell them.  Or have the bottom end rebuilt and use them again.  

Questions, questions.  Lots to think about.

If I pay for the work to be done, I'm replacing the whole engine.  I think the labor for replacing heads is about the same as the labor to replace the whole engine.  If I just do it myself, then I might chance just the heads.  Upside is I can get the heads that I want (706 heads).

Just have to be careful not to push the engine too hard for a while after that.

Edited by SC Tiger

You guys may get a laugh at this one....

I called a mechanic I normally use for a quote on the replacement.  $5800 for a Jasper.  High, probably close to VERY high, but okay.

But then he mentions that Jasper also sells a "Triple Play" kit that is the engine, transmission, and rear diff.  

For $12,000.

On a 22 year old truck.  Yeah, no thanks.  

It's looking more and more like this will be a DIY job for me.  I'm looking at rebuilt engines and have found a few options.  I'm liking the offerings from ATK (through Jegs), Gearhead and S and J Engines.