In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Pinion Control (Brake based off road traction control)

So I have been a big fan of these types of systems in most cases for most people, especially on the front end of an IFS combined with a rear locker. An open diff doesn't accomplish much of anything and a front locker is susceptible to breakage, as parts that bend and steer aren't mean to be locked at weird high stressed angles (which is why so few have ever had one from the factory). And to be honest there are only a handful of people that would actually get themselves and the trucks in a situation where a front locker actually helps and is needed; but I digress. 

I came across an article and this is the first I have heard of the system GM calls Pinion Control? Sounds like a brake based traction system that brakes a spinning wheel and sends the power to the one with traction, similar to what Jeep and Toyota have done so well with their trucks. Is anyone familiar with this system? They state the new at the time Trail Boss had this on there as well as the other GM 4wd trucks, they kept saying everything else was the same outside of the suspension and tires between the different trucks which leads me to believe both the regular Z71 and 4wds have it. Either way, has anyone known about this or seen it in action? I know the full size SUV's like AT4 Yukon and now Z71 Tahoe appear to have something like that as I have seen the videos of the AT4 braking its wheel when traversing articulated obstacles and Chevy upgraded their diffs to match the yukon a year later. 

How long has GM used this? Was this on the K2's? That is my one big gripe that looks to be addressed is there are situations where the rear locker is slick enough where it can't quite power over an obstacle with an open front diff, but a brake based system transferring power can make all the difference. I thought GM didn't but seeing that Yukon AT4 and hearing about it with the trail boss video makes me think GM does have something on there and is using it in their off road models now and going forward. 

Fill me in, been following GM trucks for quite sometime but this is the first I have heard that term or it has been spoken to specifically about this. A rear locker and a brake based front diff would make it even more capable as those systems/combos from Jeep and Toyota sure are pretty much unstoppable. 

Tyler

7 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

So I have been a big fan of these types of systems in most cases for most people, especially on the front end of an IFS combined with a rear locker. An open diff doesn't accomplish much of anything and a front locker is susceptible to breakage, as parts that bend and steer aren't mean to be locked at weird high stressed angles (which is why so few have ever had one from the factory). And to be honest there are only a handful of people that would actually get themselves and the trucks in a situation where a front locker actually helps and is needed; but I digress. 

I came across an article and this is the first I have heard of the system GM calls Pinion Control? Sounds like a brake based traction system that brakes a spinning wheel and sends the power to the one with traction, similar to what Jeep and Toyota have done so well with their trucks. Is anyone familiar with this system? They state the new at the time Trail Boss had this on there as well as the other GM 4wd trucks, they kept saying everything else was the same outside of the suspension and tires between the different trucks which leads me to believe both the regular Z71 and 4wds have it. Either way, has anyone known about this or seen it in action? I know the full size SUV's like AT4 Yukon and now Z71 Tahoe appear to have something like that as I have seen the videos of the AT4 braking its wheel when traversing articulated obstacles and Chevy upgraded their diffs to match the yukon a year later. 

How long has GM used this? Was this on the K2's? That is my one big gripe that looks to be addressed is there are situations where the rear locker is slick enough where it can't quite power over an obstacle with an open front diff, but a brake based system transferring power can make all the difference. I thought GM didn't but seeing that Yukon AT4 and hearing about it with the trail boss video makes me think GM does have something on there and is using it in their off road models now and going forward. 

Fill me in, been following GM trucks for quite sometime but this is the first I have heard that term or it has been spoken to specifically about this. A rear locker and a brake based front diff would make it even more capable as those systems/combos from Jeep and Toyota sure are pretty much unstoppable. 

Tyler

Link to the article?

x2 you got a link to the article?

GM has hill descent control which is a low speed (1-14mph) system that uses the ABS module and brakes to regulate downhill travel on steep grades off road.

GM also has on the single speed transfer cases Terrain Mode.  Terrain Mode acts as a 4LO type operation minus the gear reduction.  It uses ABS module, wheel brakes and ECM to aid in off road control or say boat ramps when you pull a boat out of the water.  

20 minutes ago, newdude said:

x2 you got a link to the article?

GM has hill descent control which is a low speed (1-14mph) system that uses the ABS module and brakes to regulate downhill travel on steep grades off road.

GM also has on the single speed transfer cases Terrain Mode.  Terrain Mode acts as a 4LO type operation minus the gear reduction.  It uses ABS module, wheel brakes and ECM to aid in off road control or say boat ramps when you pull a boat out of the water.  

Jeep did something similar back in 2005 with the WK... And I think that system was a copy of some Mercedes system from the ml320/50?

I've seen it work on my truck (through captured video) when I was off road and I have a 2020 Z71. 

A friend was taking video of my truck while I was going through a mud hole and when I came to a hump and tried to exit the mud hole, my front driver's side wheel came off the ground and began spinning while my passenger's side wheel didn't rotate at all.  You could hear the brake application of the airborne driver's side front wheel and the instantaneous response of the passenger side front wheel turning and allowing the truck to pull forward. 

All I could hear from the inside of the truck was a bunch of clicking behind the dash while it pulled itself over the hump and out of the mud.  I wish I had the video because it's pretty neat to see, and you can definitely tell the computer, or some variant module, was actively attempting to take away power from the non-traction wheel and transfer power to the wheel with traction.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, Gangly said:

I've seen it work on my truck (through captured video) when I was off road and I have a 2020 Z71. 

A friend was taking video of my truck while I was going through a mud hole and when I came to a hump and tried to exit the mud hole, my front driver's side wheel came off the ground and began spinning while my passenger's side wheel didn't rotate at all.  You could hear the brake application of the airborne driver's side front wheel and the instantaneous response of the passenger side front wheel turning and allowing the truck to pull forward. 

All I could hear from the inside of the truck was a bunch of clicking behind the dash while it pulled itself over the hump and out of the mud.  I wish I had the video because it's pretty neat to see, and you can definitely tell the computer, or some variant module, was actively attempting to take away power from the non-traction wheel and transfer power to the wheel with traction.

That is good to know and I kind of figured but nothing has ever been said. I am surprised they don't market it more like Jeep does with their Quadra trac/drive systems, that or give it an interesting tough name with how off road focused people are these days and how it drives sales. 

Tyler