2019 Silverado transmission vs GMC and newer models

I currently have a 2019 RST which suffers badly from the poorly designed transmission that slams into gear and shifts clunky at all times.  I have had in the shop since 3 times since it was new, and nothing ever seems to get resolved.  Much like everyone else who has posted on here about it.  So out of fear of something seriously going wrong I can't help but be in the market at all times for a new vehicle.

I told myself i was not going with another chevy considering my 2014 suffered from something very similar but i worry that if i went the GMC route could they as well have similar issues.

I can't seem to find any post on the GMCs like i can the Chevy's so for all the GMC owners of 2019s and above have you had any issues with transmissions or any other qwerks that you know of.  I've had my eye on some of these AT4s but just can't commit due to feeling like they are built by basically the same people.  

While I'm at it would be curious what engine everyone feels the most solid.  My goal was looking for a 6.2 but a buddy of mine swears by this new diesel.

Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Stanleyj42 said:

I currently have a 2019 RST which suffers badly from the poorly designed transmission that slams into gear and shifts clunky at all times.  I have had in the shop since 3 times since it was new, and nothing ever seems to get resolved.  Much like everyone else who has posted on here about it.  So out of fear of something seriously going wrong I can't help but be in the market at all times for a new vehicle.

I told myself i was not going with another chevy considering my 2014 suffered from something very similar but i worry that if i went the GMC route could they as well have similar issues.

I can't seem to find any post on the GMCs like i can the Chevy's so for all the GMC owners of 2019s and above have you had any issues with transmissions or any other qwerks that you know of.  I've had my eye on some of these AT4s but just can't commit due to feeling like they are built by basically the same people.  

While I'm at it would be curious what engine everyone feels the most solid.  My goal was looking for a 6.2 but a buddy of mine swears by this new diesel.

Thanks. 

I had a 2017 Silverado that had bad tranny issues. Traded it for a 2019 Sierra. Transmission is not as bad but still has issues. Like you said, clunking, hard downshift, delayed shift. All of the problems. Dealer said they changed the fluid. There's no difference in operation. My understanding before I bought the truck was that all of the transmissions had the new fluid or couldn't be sold. Some of the folks I know have the 10 speed and say there are no problems. I can't help on the engine side. Everyone has their own opinion. I guess it depends on what you will use the truck for too. 

7 minutes ago, Phantom 4D said:

I had a 2017 Silverado that had bad tranny issues. Traded it for a 2019 Sierra. Transmission is not as bad but still has issues. Like you said, clunking, hard downshift, delayed shift. All of the problems. Dealer said they changed the fluid. There's no difference in operation. My understanding before I bought the truck was that all of the transmissions had the new fluid or couldn't be sold. Some of the folks I know have the 10 speed and say there are no problems. I can't help on the engine side. Everyone has their own opinion. I guess it depends on what you will use the truck for too. 

thanks for the input.  yeah, I've had it changed twice still same problem.  I love the truck and honestly don't want to get rid of it but I'm reminded about once a week when it slams into first gear and scares the hell out of you that this just can't last forever.  I was curious about the 10 speeds.  Didn't know if they would gear hunt constantly because the dealership has tried to tell me that due to having bigger tires, nothing outrageous that is why mine shifts like it does.  But we all know that's simply not true. 

6 minutes ago, Stanleyj42 said:

thanks for the input.  yeah, I've had it changed twice still same problem.  I love the truck and honestly don't want to get rid of it but I'm reminded about once a week when it slams into first gear and scares the hell out of you that this just can't last forever.  I was curious about the 10 speeds.  Didn't know if they would gear hunt constantly because the dealership has tried to tell me that due to having bigger tires, nothing outrageous that is why mine shifts like it does.  But we all know that's simply not true. 

You didn't specify which transmission you have in your first post, but in this last post you ask about the 10 speed so I'll assume you have either the 6 or 8 speed.  Sorry for your problems that several others have also with some getting ok results from the fluid change and others not so much.

As for the 10 speed, mine is smooth as butter.  There are a slim few others that have had issues with the 10 speed.  Bottom line nothing is perfect especially in this day & age with these corporations only interested in their bottom line $$.  Good luck with what you decide to do.....

6 hours ago, Stanleyj42 said:

Thanks. 

If you're looking for a refreshed one, they are using the much loved 10 speed on 5.2, 6.2 and 3.0.

8 speed is supposed to have its issues resolved, but is only being used with the 2.7.  

6 speed is gone. 

On 8/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Just curious, you know that the two are literally identical? They both share the same drivetrains. 

LOL, they literally roll off the same assembly line one behind the other. 

To the OP, get a truck with the 10-speed trans, that will take care of your issues. Doesn't matter if it's a Silverado or a Sierra. For the record, I never had a problem with my '19 8L90 (8-speed) aside from the 1-2 clunk when cold, however, obviously many others have. 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, Stanleyj42 said:

I've had my eye on some of these AT4s but just can't commit due to feeling like they are built by basically the same people.  

That's because they are.  They are the exact, same identical transmission.  Both trucks roll down the same assembly line, use the same frames and powertrains.

2019 RST you've likely got the 8L90.  8L90 is no longer used with the 5.3 or 6.2 at all for the 2022.5 and forward trucks, only the 10L80 transmission.  Most 5.3s from 2021-2022 have the 10 speed as well. 

If you really want one, just get one with the 10 speed.  

8L90 is with the 2.7T only now, and so far it's improved over the 19-22 version as GM did re-tune it.  I have a 2.7T HO with the re-tuned 8 speed and it doesn't even do the 1st shift of the day harsh shift even.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I have a 2022 Silverado LTD RST 4X4 with the 5.3 and the 8 speed. Its by far the best shifting automatic transmission I have ever owned. And I have owned about 13 new GM trucks in the last 25 years.(All automatics)

I have 20,000 on it now and have Zero problems with anything on this truck. It has the Max Tow package that includes the 3:42 gears.

This thing rips through the gears and has a lot of get up and go for a heavy truck. Driving on the NYS Thruway, driving conservatively, it gets 20mpg!!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, JimCost2014 said:

that if i went the GMC route could they as well have similar issues.

Just curious, you know that the two are literally identical? They both share the same drivetrains. 

Mine is a GMC. 2019 Sierra. 

• Like 1

My Sierra with the 5.3 and the 8 speed rough shifts 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 like it is getting paid extra to do it.  So, there goes any theory about the GMCs being better.  And yes, I had the "fluid update" done to it around 60k miles in March of 2021.  Zero change at all.  Pisses me right off.....

On 8/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, Phantom 4D said:

I've had the 10 speed in my 2020 Sierra AT4 and my 2021 Silverado Trail Boss, both have been probably the best shifting trannies I've ever owned, Before purchase of both I verified they were 10 speeds, because the 8 has been troublesome since day 1, supposedly the 8 speed has been updated in several ways when it gets to the 2023 Colorado and Canyon, but time will tell, stick with the 10.