In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Is There Such a Thing as a Good Fuel Injector Cleaner?

Okay I recently needed to have some Fuel Injectors Replaced on my 2017 Chevrolet Silverado. I was not aware that Fuel Injectors were. So Now that I had all 8 Replaced I am wondering if there is Such A Thing as a Good Additive Fuel Injector Cleaner or is It just poor Quality Gas I have been Using? This is a first of 3 Silverado I have had that the Fuel Injectors Went bad at 62K?? I mainly only do Long Distance Driving when I do drive my Silverado 200 Plus Miles on the Expressway. Just looking not to have to have these Fuel Injectors Be Replaced AGAIN!

I been using "Lucas" Injector Cleaner every few tanks but? Is there a better way to keep these Injectors working?

MIke1M     

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mike1M said:

Okay I recently needed to have some Fuel Injectors Replaced on my 2017 Chevrolet Silverado. I was not aware that Fuel Injectors were. So Now that I had all 8 Replaced I am wondering if there is Such A Thing as a Good Additive Fuel Injector Cleaner or is It just poor Quality Gas I have been Using? This is a first of 3 Silverado I have had that the Fuel Injectors Went bad at 62K?? I mainly only do Long Distance Driving when I do drive my Silverado 200 Plus Miles on the Expressway. Just looking not to have to have these Fuel Injectors Be Replaced AGAIN!

I been using "Lucas" Injector Cleaner every few tanks but? Is there a better way to keep these Injectors working?

MIke1M     

if your truck is flex fuel just use E-85 

other than that ,in my experience this one of the best https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/fuel-additive-and-cleaner/p/chevron-techron-fuel-system-cleaner-12oz/27795_0_0?cmpid=PLA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10758688450&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-rvcwsX--QIVjMqzCh170Qz6EAQYAyABEgL2CvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by FJB

I am not Sure whether It is E-85 I don't think it is otherwise it might have a Badge "Flex Fuel" on the Truck. I have always used 87 Octane Fuel in all my Trucks and never knew that GM has issues with Fuel Injectors. A friend advise his older Silverado though has 185K has had issues with them. When It happened I google search and learn Fuel Injectors are a common failure on Chevrolet Silverado Trucks. And some mentioned they had a few replaced and then needed to have the others replaced and that meant tearing the engine down again. So I went with All New this Time. As I don't need to pay a second time to replace the others and for me it was 4, 2 on one side and 2 on the other. Anyway I also had to have the Oil Pump Replaced it was another Code they found with the "Check Engine" And the Local Dealer had it for 10 days. Both a First my last for Chevy Trucks one being an S10 only needed Brakes, the next 2 Silverado's went 89K & 92K when I trade them. This 2017 has had 2 Recalls, New Tires (at 60K), a Starter Failure at 59K and at 62K the Injectors and Oil Pump. And going without having my Truck has been a Pain. And I have always changed the Oil before the Life is down to 15% usually sooner at 20 to 25%. But can't afford to trade it in and purchase another New Truck not in my Budget any time soon.  So I just Hope It lasts another 30K???

Thanks for the Info I did a Google Search and the Injector Cleaner was suggested and why I was asking as not all things found on the Internet are ideal / good Information. Will buy some and see.

Mike1M   

As far as I know only 2014's and maybe a few 2015's were factory flex fuel, past that they didn't offer them.

I just dump seafoam in the tank every once in a while or any injector cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 6:59 PM, CamGTP said:

As far as I know only 2014's and maybe a few 2015's were factory flex fuel, past that they didn't offer them.

I just dump seafoam in the tank every once in a while or any injector cleaner.

My '16 is factory flex fuel, and that is the fuel I run from April-November.

Edited by 16LT4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe We are getting Poor Quality Gas these Days never had any Issue with my 2005 & 2011 Silverado but as stated in another Thread this truck continues to have Service Issues! But they are Ongoing and It only has 66K!

But It is Not a "Flex Fuel" Model!

Mike1M

• Thanks 1

Asking for a friend who has a 2016 Silverado with the 4.3.  He has a traditional black twist-on fuel cap and no markings or sticker on the fuel door for E85.  I assume at that period not everything was flex-fuel compatible?

No Cap on 2017. No Badging as Flex Fuel. Plus maybe that E85 lost it's popular with the Auto Makers! Sure some can use it but why Risk a chance it of doing causing other Service Issues. I Hope that the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner Hoping It Helps and Not having to replace them again. A Friend has an Older Silverado but he has 195K and had to change Fuel Injectors & a Screen for the Oil System! But I could see that with that kind of Mileage. I was using Lucas but ??? It did not help saving my fuel injectors. Used it about every 3 tanks of Fuel.

Thanks for Posting

Mike1M 

I never use injection cleaner. Had one vehicle get injection cleaning after 110K miles with no difference in fuel mileage. I’m 66 and never had injection problems. The vehicle that had injection cleaning is used in town. Driving about 20 miles a day 6 days a week. It may see 60 miles per hour one third of that distance. It’s going on 12 years old. My 20 year old truck gets the same treatment. The gas is mostly at my Kroger’s store, non top tier but high volume. The CRV is our trip car about 15K miles a year. It gets high volume truck stop name brand gas while on trips. Kroger gas at home. Finally our 01 intagra type r gets once a year fill ups at Kroger with stabill added. I usually do a couple quick long drives to burn off the gas. The only thing I can conclude is buying gas at a high volume station is the trick. Or so called top tier. That’s my experience. 

• Like 1

SO Then What Poor Quality Fuel Injectors and Oil Pumps Used In New Silverado as This Appears to be Common Issues with NEW Silverado Trucks? Again This is a First So Many Issues with any New Silverado add to This Now I have a 4WD Service Issue! So More Quality Issues with this 2017! Just Costing more and more and a First for myself owning 3 Silverado's so far. 2 Recall add to that with this 2017 and it Needed a New Starter at 60K also not had prior so 2 Recalls, Starter, Fuel Injectors, Oil Pump and Now $ Wheel Drive issue. And It now only has 67K not even close to 100K which I might accept but I would have traded It in for A New Truck before then. And I have a company Supplied Work vehicle so I barely put any miles on it as I did not with my Last 2 Silverado's! Appears QUALITY Has Dropped with Parts Vendors Chevrolet is Now Using... And I am Not far behind in age either...

Mike1M  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Asking for a friend who has a 2016 Silverado with the 4.3.  He has a traditional black twist-on fuel cap and no markings or sticker on the fuel door for E85.  I assume at that period not everything was flex-fuel compatible?

No. Since 2001 almost every US vehicle could use ethanol content up to E100. They’ll MIL code the fuel density difference. They’ll overfuel but they burn it fine. 

Edited by customboss
Corrected a response intended for another post question.
  • Like 1