In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

AVS Lightshield custom color matched -- finally done!

I finally finished sanding, painting and installing my AVS Lightshield. 

I think it turned out pretty good considering I made a makeshift paint booth in my driveway and used all rattle can stuff. 

I also used an LED dimmer to tone down the brightness a bit.  I just used 3M double sided tape and taped it to the plastic battery cover after I cleaned and prepped it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7H52B?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Paint and prep.jpg

Truck avs 1.jpg

Truck avs 2.jpg

Truck avs 3.jpg

Truck avs 4.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jaxcam02 said:

It looks really cool but I'm not really a fan of where you have to run the wires. That's the only thing preventing me from getting this.

It's actually not bad.  I snaked them through the hood so they come out toward the bottom passenger side by the battery/fuse box.  I used a spade connecter and pulled ground from the battery negative terminal.  I used a micro2 fuse tap and pulled power from fuse #42.  It will turn on when the fog lights are on or when the headlights are on.  I drilled a single small hole in the fuse cover for the positive to exit from.

I'll take some pics.  I was concerned also, but think it turned out fine and looks pretty clean.

Edited by 2020RSTBorla

Here are the pics of the wiring.  I could obviously dress this up more and make it look better; which I may very well do, but it functions perfectly.

Looks like I will also need to redo that foam tape covering the wire as it comes around the hood.

Truck avs 5.jpg

Truck avs 6.jpg

Truck avs 7.jpg

Truck avs 9.jpg

Truck avs 8.jpg

Truck avs 10.jpg

Edited by 2020RSTBorla
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pics, 

the wiring isn't too terrible but that would just bother me. I mean the piece makes the truck look really good though. If I can find a second hood off a totaled truck or something and not feel bad about drilling a hole for the wires and molding bondo onto it I would go that route.

Edited by jaxcam02

42 minutes ago, jaxcam02 said:

Thanks for the pics, 

the wiring isn't too terrible but that would just bother me. I mean the piece makes the truck look really good though. If I can find a second hood off a totaled truck or something and not feel bad about drilling a hole for the wires and molding bondo onto it I would go that route.

You could use small diameter black cable sleeve over the wire as it runs through the hood, down to the harness it is zip tied to and also to clean up the last bit of wire.  I will probably do this and if I do I will post pics.

It's not like people are going to be constantly under your hood and the finished product, although ALOT of work, looks awesome in my opinion and really sets my truck apart.

I also finished the paint job by wet sanding 2000, 3000, 5000, polish and wax.  It's kinda hard to tell in the pics, but it matches perfectly.  

I just bought this.     https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW86XV6/ref=twister_B07FW38SF8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by 2020RSTBorla

On 9/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, 2020RSTBorla said:

I finally finished sanding, painting and installing my AVS Lightshield. 

I think it turned out pretty good considering I made a makeshift paint booth in my driveway and used all rattle can stuff. 

I also used an LED dimmer to tone down the brightness a bit.  I just used 3M double sided tape and taped it to the plastic battery cover after I cleaned and prepped it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7H52B?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Paint and prep.jpg

Truck avs 1.jpg

Truck avs 2.jpg

Truck avs 3.jpg

Truck avs 4.jpg

Looks good man! Sets your ride apart for sure.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

They should make one with chasing reds.... Silverado KITT 😛

😆

Set 7-Color 48-SMD Scanning LED 22" Knight Rider Strip Light Turn Signal Car Truck Interior Lighting Decoration Compatible with Chevrolet Ford Toyota GMC Dodge Jeep Honda Nissan Lexus https://a.co/d/f7UnIFw

The AVS led is just a standard size led strip you tape in.  AVS just used a custom led layout.  You could just swap it with another waterproof led strip like the Knight Rider one.

Edited by 2020RSTBorla

On 9/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, slj2008 said:

looks good. All you need know is Recon Big Rig Ice Running lights ??  Do you have led's lights above the license plate ??

No lights above license the plate.  That's my stupid camera.  lol.

Edited by 2020RSTBorla