Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2024 Silverado HD


Recommended Posts

Hmm, so they couldnt build my 2022, still havent picked up my 2023 order for a Z71 Sport.  Now Im curious to see the 2024 Z71 Sport, more interested in pricing to see if the updated interior/exterior and 10 speed are worth waiting for?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, greatmizzou said:

I checked the website and it shows the gas l8t will now be paired with 10 speed Allison FINALLY.

 

i imagine its a step option but perhaps all HD trucks will have a 10speed allison now?  

Sounds like it's going to be standard for both the 6.6L Gas and the Duramax:

 

Quote

GM Press Release:

 

Allison 10-speed automatic transmission now standard for both the 6.6L gas and 6.6L Duramax turbo-diesel engines

 

Allison 10-speed transmission enhances gas-engine trailering capability

For the first time, the proven Allison 10-speed automatic transmission is now standard equipment for both the Silverado HD’s powertrains: the standard 6.6L V-8 gas engine and the available Duramax turbo-diesel. It replaces the gas engine’s previous six-speed automatic, offering smaller “steps” between the gears, which enables the 6.6L gas engine to hold closer to its peak power for longer periods.

 

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2022/sep/0926-silverado.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For WT and custom buyers(me) the interior is unchanged so it’s only the 10spd that changed. It’s yet to be seen on how well it will really do real world. I know ppl keep regurgitating the same “gas needs the 10spd” but they seem to hunt around more for the right gear and may not be as reliable as the tried and true 6spd. Probably get another mile per gallon or maybe 2 though. We’ll see. 
 

considering the 23s jumped up like 2k msrp plus the 1500 on star crap, I’m sure the 24s will really jump up too!

 

probably not worth it for me at least. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Pryme said:

For WT and custom buyers(me) the interior is unchanged so it’s only the 10spd that changed. It’s yet to be seen on how well it will really do real world. I know ppl keep regurgitating the same “gas needs the 10spd” but they seem to hunt around more for the right gear and may not be as reliable as the tried and true 6spd. Probably get another mile per gallon or maybe 2 though. We’ll see. 
 

considering the 23s jumped up like 2k msrp plus the 1500 on star crap, I’m sure the 24s will really jump up too!

 

probably not worth it for me at least. 

The 10 spd will be MUCH better and more reliable.  Our gas HD's for my business get worked and the weak spot has been the tranny's.  I suppose for the average guy using them as a daily driver and towing on the weekend they are fine but for me, this is great move putting the 10spd with the gas motor.  The 6.6 gas motor has been great.

 

It would be interesting to come back after a year of the 10spd paired with the gas and read the comments from those thinking this is a bad move.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CRApex said:

The 10 spd will be MUCH better and more reliable.  Our gas HD's for my business get worked and the weak spot has been the tranny's.  I suppose for the average guy using them as a daily driver and towing on the weekend they are fine but for me, this is great move putting the 10spd with the gas motor.  The 6.6 gas motor has been great.

 

It would be interesting to come back after a year of the 10spd paired with the gas and read the comments from those thinking this is a bad move.

I’m sure it will perform better for max towing that’s for sure. For me personally though it wouldn’t make a big difference and the price increase wouldn’t justify it. If you look over at Ford I see plenty of issues with their 10spd and very few with the ironed out 6spd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 6L90 is a VERY reliable transmission, we have had them in our fleet since 2007 and have had very few failures.  The 10 speed Allison 10L1000 should be reliable as well, it has done well since it's introduction behind the Duramax and is complete overkill for the L8T.  Glad GM didn't decide to use the 10L90.  Maybe now the L8T can pair with the Allison 10 speed we might see it in the 4500/5500/6500 Silverados.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

I’m sure it will perform better for max towing that’s for sure. For me personally though it wouldn’t make a big difference and the price increase wouldn’t justify it. If you look over at Ford I see plenty of issues with their 10spd and very few with the ironed out 6spd. 

The 10spd being used is not the Ford 10spd, it's the same version that has proven itself in the current HD Duramax.  I personally would never go back to the 6spd Allison after having the 10spd, its that good IMO.  Price increase is worth it in my mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched (I mean suffered through) the great long-anticipated 2023 Super Duty dog and pony show.  Farley is such a tool.  Anyway, Ford's restyle looks pretty good and they are going to offer 2 gas engines, a new 6.8L base V-8 derived from the existing 7.3L, which gets a H.P. and torque increase.  There is also a more powerful Powerstroke coming.  I wonder if GM is considering a more powerful gasoline engine option.  There were those 8.0L rumors a few years ago......

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

Just watched (I mean suffered through) the great long-anticipated 2023 Super Duty dog and pony show.  Farley is such a tool.  Anyway, Ford's restyle looks pretty good and they are going to offer 2 gas engines, a new 6.8L base V-8 derived from the existing 7.3L, which gets a H.P. and torque increase.  There is also a more powerful Powerstroke coming.  I wonder if GM is considering a more powerful gasoline engine option.  There were those 8.0L rumors a few years ago......

 

I actually think the Ford looks worse with this new redesign. And why do they need two gas engines so close to one another? A 6.8 and 7.3? Seems a bit redundant. 
I had to chuckle at the bed and bumper steps with handholds. Wonder where they got that idea? Too bad they don’t look nearly as good as the GM units. 
the front chin spoiler also looks terrible. I just think the superduty looks too slab sided. 

Edited by Pryme
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, Pryme said:

I actually think the Ford looks worse with this new redesign. And why do they need two gas engines so close to one another? A 6.8 and 7.3? Seems a bit redundant. 
I had to chuckle at the bed and bumper steps with handholds. Wonder where they got that idea? Too bad they don’t look nearly as good as the GM units. 
the front chin spoiler also looks terrible. I just think the superduty looks too slab sided. 

 

Funny is the GM seem to refine their front end and kind of go to what Ford looked liked,  and Ford went to the ugly block end GM has now.  Almost traded places.

 

6.2 is retiring.  But yeah 6.8 or 7.3 not sure why there is two.  One will probably go away.  

 

What I would to see for the HD is a small block,  5.0,  5.3 twin turbo set up much like fords ecoboost, and something that pushes 500hp 600 Torque.  I know people talk reliability with turbos, but the ford line has been pretty stout.  The other is smaller displacement diesel something that does  300ish hp and 600 torque but is more fuel efficient.  

 

Two reasons you wont see this stuff or a big leap going forward.  1.  If the electric stuff holds true which which the real test will be in two years at election time.  But if it does companies are not going to invest in new motors.  2.  While companies want to provide a cheaper version to power their HD trucks, which good idea thats why I bought it,  I also dont think they want their cheaper motor competing with their diesel engines.  Its entirely possibly today to put an efficient and reliable 500hp, 600tq motor in an HD with a 10 speed tranny.  That set up would make a lot of people think twice on going diesel. 

 

Edited by nards444
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 9:16 PM, C/K Man said:

Just watched (I mean suffered through) the great long-anticipated 2023 Super Duty dog and pony show.  Farley is such a tool.  Anyway, Ford's restyle looks pretty good and they are going to offer 2 gas engines, a new 6.8L base V-8 derived from the existing 7.3L, which gets a H.P. and torque increase.  There is also a more powerful Powerstroke coming.  I wonder if GM is considering a more powerful gasoline engine option.  There were those 8.0L rumors a few years ago......

 

 

Ford plays the spec game really well. You don't see the marketing/customer mindset advantage of having a more powerful base engine in their truck, then the top gas engine available in either Ram or GM? I certainly do.

 

When it comes to drive trains on paper, Ford eats everyones lunch. They have for years.

 

I would never own one, that's why I said "on paper" as there is more to a truck. But Ram and GM need to step up their gasser game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

 

Ford plays the spec game really well. You don't see the marketing/customer mindset advantage of having a more powerful base engine in their truck, then the top gas engine available in either Ram or GM? I certainly do.

 

When it comes to drive trains on paper, Ford eats everyones lunch. They have for years.

 

I would never own one, that's why I said "on paper" as there is more to a truck. But Ram and GM need to step up their gasser game.

 

They are all good trucks TBH year to year you cant go wrong.  With that said I have owned all three brands and have HD type trucks with GM and Ford both and here is my opinion.  This goes back to 2007 when I bought my first truck and have since had 4 GM trucks, 5 Fords and one ram.  A lot of people base their opinions on pre 2000 models or old stuff which isnt really relevent,  all of these brands have made major leaps in the last 20 years and in their own ways make good stuff.

 

1. Ram to me has always won the looks contest and if anything continues to win the innovation awards and option packages,  including the paint colors.  ram has always been good on the power packs and never seems to be lacking.  My one con is the rams to me have just felt and looked cheaper in away.

 

2. GM makes a solid product and you cant go wrong.  GM has always developed power plants that just last, not always the best performance wise, but do work well.  My chief complaint with GM is they are 5-7 years behind the other two in lots of ways.  My 21 2500 and now 22 GMC AT4 2500 while nice is the same interior that my 2014 silverado had, of which the 14 was only a slight upgrade from my 2007 silverado.  GMs optioning packages and how you can order just sucks.  

 

3.  After owning them all Ford is just a better truck at the end of the day.  Only reason I am in GM is because I get the discount, and this coming from a guy that worked at GM and my whole family has.  Drive a Ford for a month and I am talking current as in something from the last 10 years or so you wouldnt buy a GM product.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.