2022 Silverado 1500 High Country (refresh) - Add "Z71 Package" components?

I know this is the forum for the 19-21 models, but I don't believe there is one yet specifically for the new 22's.  

I bought a 2022 Silverado 1500 High Country several months back.  As you all know, it's almost impossible to find exactly what you are looking for on a lot these days, and ordering can take a ton of time (if you find a dealer with allocation).  I always get a truck with the Z71 package, mainly because I do go offroad in Northern Maine for hunting every year, and the skid plates are a must for that terrain. 

This particular High Country DID NOT come with the Z71 package, unfortunately.  I've got a moose hunt coming up in a month or so up in Maine, and I'd like to buy and install the skid plates that would come with the Z71 package, but can find little to no information on part numbers for the plates, etc.  I'm not even 100% certain I can add them, as I don't know if the bolt arrangements on the undercarriage of the High Country are pre-drilled to accept these plates or if the Z71 trucks have additional anchor points drilled out at the factory. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

I’m not really sure what all skid plates you get, I think it may just be the one under the transfer case. If so, you’re not missing anything at all, it’s kind of a joke and not worth the hassle.

If you really need skid plates look into aftermarket products that will actually provide you with some protection. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ken Rackliff said:

I know this is the forum for the 19-21 models, but I don't believe there is one yet specifically for the new 22's.  

I bought a 2022 Silverado 1500 High Country several months back.  As you all know, it's almost impossible to find exactly what you are looking for on a lot these days, and ordering can take a ton of time (if you find a dealer with allocation).  I always get a truck with the Z71 package, mainly because I do go offroad in Northern Maine for hunting every year, and the skid plates are a must for that terrain. 

This particular High Country DID NOT come with the Z71 package, unfortunately.  I've got a moose hunt coming up in a month or so up in Maine, and I'd like to buy and install the skid plates that would come with the Z71 package, but can find little to no information on part numbers for the plates, etc.  I'm not even 100% certain I can add them, as I don't know if the bolt arrangements on the undercarriage of the High Country are pre-drilled to accept these plates or if the Z71 trucks have additional anchor points drilled out at the factory. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

All the holes are there.  

Z71 gets you oil pan and transfer case. 

GM has a kit 84962765 which gets you the ZR2 style skids for the oil pan and transfer case (bigger than the Z71 plate).  It works out cheaper by a bit vs. buying the regular Z71 spec ones and all the hardware as its all individual.  

Being you have a High Country you should already have the 2 speed transfer case, so the only other things you would be missing from Z71 is the Ranchos (big deal) and the Hill Descent Control (can't be added).  

23_CRB_CRB_SKD_01.thumb.jpg.4ab0af6c7b0543096b8b5dab81a8b3c0.jpg

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, newdude said:

All the holes are there.  

Z71 gets you oil pan and transfer case. 

GM has a kit 84962765 which gets you the ZR2 style skids for the oil pan and transfer case (bigger than the Z71 plate).  It works out cheaper by a bit vs. buying the regular Z71 spec ones and all the hardware as its all individual.  

Being you have a High Country you should already have the 2 speed transfer case, so the only other things you would be missing from Z71 is the Ranchos (big deal) and the Hill Descent Control (can't be added).  

23_CRB_CRB_SKD_01.thumb.jpg.4ab0af6c7b0543096b8b5dab81a8b3c0.jpg

Thanks!  

Yeah I've had a number of Z71's in the past, so I know the majority of the "package" is fluff (I mean, it's only like $200 extra).  I don't need the decent control, and the Rancho's aren't anything special.  My larger concern, because I do go places where the road is washed out, or tire tracks are cut out pretty low and the transfer case and oil pan can/do make contact with the ground (and/or there are a ton of sticks and crap that poke up from the ground).  I wish they had a gas tank plate too, as she's pretty exposed as well.  Those old logging roads up in northern Maine are ROUGH.  

I think I'll go ahead and try to order that ZR2 package.  I assume I can just visit the dealer and put that bad oscar on order?   Appreciate the help!  

My Dad used to do the Moose hunting in Me. and he always got the Z71 package just for the skid plates because those logging roads are really bad, I'm surprised he made it through some of them at times, I think he was too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eppieguy said:

My Dad used to do the Moose hunting in Me. and he always got the Z71 package just for the skid plates because those logging roads are really bad, I'm surprised he made it through some of them at times, I think he was too! 

The roads are no joke!  From razor sharp shale and slate to washouts, deep water, massive potholes, etc etc, they are rough on the equipment!  I'm from Maine, and we go up north (North of Moosehead Lake) every year for either bird or moose hunting (if someone draws a permit).  We always go prepared, so we've never had an issue.  But man, you should see the junk some people drive up on those roads!  

My 2019 Silverado 1500 LTZ hauled my last moose out just fine...4 hours out from any tar road, power or cell signal! 

Capture1.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken Rackliff said:

Thanks!  

Yeah I've had a number of Z71's in the past, so I know the majority of the "package" is fluff (I mean, it's only like $200 extra).  I don't need the decent control, and the Rancho's aren't anything special.  My larger concern, because I do go places where the road is washed out, or tire tracks are cut out pretty low and the transfer case and oil pan can/do make contact with the ground (and/or there are a ton of sticks and crap that poke up from the ground).  I wish they had a gas tank plate too, as she's pretty exposed as well.  Those old logging roads up in northern Maine are ROUGH.  

I think I'll go ahead and try to order that ZR2 package.  I assume I can just visit the dealer and put that bad oscar on order?   Appreciate the help!  

Yea should be able to.  PM sent.  

I've got a Z71 and I've bent the flimsy shield for the transfer case a couple times.  I just bend it back with a small pry bar once I get home and never think twice about it. 

However, the ZR2 version looks much more robust, does it bolt right up?

Edited by Gangly

8 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

I would be more concerned about the wheels and tires. Seems most non-Z71 HC trucks come with the 22in wheels and street tires. I would defiantly get rid of those if you are heading to the woods.. 

standard wheels on HC are 20s with your run of the mill all season tires. 22s have always been an option. Maybe true that most end up with the 22s but it is an option and someone (dealer or customer) has to opt for that when ordering.