2022 GMC Sierra 1500 and others BCM footwell lighting pinout - Denali Doorsill Install Info

Hey guys,

Figured I'd pass along the instructions I got for my Denali door sill light install that I received from the dealer since you can't find instructions anywhere.

It's the first connector facing the driver on the BCM and it's pin 1.

My bet is you could use this same pin position for footwell lighting and I plan to test that next week with an electronic load before I tap into the door sill power.

The BCM most likely has a current limit for that pin so I will figure out what is it and post back once I figure it out.

Background is my denali didn't come with the lighting package from the factory so I added all the parts but they don't tell you what connector or pin slot to put the harness into.

I'll post later what the connector pin part number is so you can crimp your own harnesses for footwell lighting if you don't have the door sill harness to tap off of.

I bet this applies to all 2022+ refresh and beyond.

scan2022-09-21-095150-compressed.pdf

Edited by matt99199

Quick update, the connector specified in the document is wrong for 2022 refresh, working with GM now to figure out where it moved to. Pin 1 of X1 on BCM is already populated and the wrong wire size.

The refresh and newer models have the ELM right above the BCM and X2 (circle on pin 1) on the ELM looks like the one in the manual GM sent, I'll try to connect and confirm.

20220921_123356.jpg

20220921_123352.jpg

Edited by matt99199

1 hour ago, matt99199 said:

Hey guys,

Figured I'd pass along the instructions I got for my Denali door sill light install that I received from the dealer since you can't find instructions anywhere.

Ah, but you can.  At the dealer.  The box likely came with a sheet that says "See GM Service Information for instructions" or something like that.  

Instructions for refresh illuminated sills:  

2022 denali refresh illuminated sills.pdf

On 9/21/2022 at 12:16 PM, newdude said:

Ah, but you can.  At the dealer.  The box likely came with a sheet that says "See GM Service Information for instructions" or something like that.  

Instructions for refresh illuminated sills:  

2022 denali refresh illuminated sills.pdf 3.17 MB · 17 downloads

Do you happen to have the instructions for the 2022 Silverado refresh?  Or is it the same.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, matt99199 said:

Quick update, the connector specified in the document is wrong for 2022 refresh, working with GM now to figure out where it moved to. Pin 1 of X1 on BCM is already populated and the wrong wire size.

The refresh and newer models have the ELM right above the BCM and X2 (circle on pin 1) on the ELM looks like the one in the manual GM sent, I'll try to connect and confirm.

20220921_123356.jpg

20220921_123352.jpg

Got a status on the install? I've been trying to do the footwell lights but have not been able to locate a trigger source but this idea might work if it provides enough voltage. Keep us posted!

No update from the dealer yet, I tried quickly probing around the ELM and some of the BCM but couldn't determine anything just yet.

There are a few 12V pins but none of the few I found toggled with the map light (if it is even supposed to).

Best bet is to wait for the dealer's response and pinnout.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:34 PM, newdude said:

Click the PDF linked in my post.  Its the refresh install sheet.  

I did and it is the same document ID as what matt99199 linked. So you're saying it is the same for the Silverado. According to OP that document is not correct for the refreshed models.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, matt99199 said:

No update from the dealer yet, I tried quickly probing around the ELM and some of the BCM but couldn't determine anything just yet.

There are a few 12V pins but none of the few I found toggled with the map light (if it is even supposed to).

Best bet is to wait for the dealer's response and pinnout.

I sure hope dealer gets back to you soon. Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Well my dealer like most is a pile of crap. They now want me to bring the truck in to tell me where one wire goes. What a joke.

I'll play with it more today and hopefully figure something out.

I also have my friend inside of GM checking...

Edited by matt99199

You would figure that they would contact GM and get the technical details but two weeks later and still no documentations?? Maybe playing their game will help ignite the fire that you mean business at least it will get your project done sooner.. Awaiting for the end results!

I figured it out myself!!!

Without help from any dealer or my friend. I mean I guess wrong instructions count as help but....

So it is still X1 as it says in the old instructions but for 2022 refresh they rotated the BCM 180deg to double up modules onto the same bracket (ELM on the right, BCM on the left side).

But the connector is not grey as stated in the document, it's black now.

However it still looks the same and it's still pin 1. This will work for the denali door sills install.

For footwell lights its a bit trickier. Basically the pins are not off the shelf. Molex makes these connectors and parts for GM only.

However I work for a supplier and have some spare cut offs with a stub of wire with a crimped pin on it.

I'm willing to ship out if you pay for shipping and small finders fee (PM me).

I'll contact Molex and see if we can get uncrimped pins from them or not but I have a feeling they will say no unless it's business related.

My next step is to electronic load test this circuit to see the cutoff. It's possible you may be able to drive some footwell lights directly. Will keep you guys updated.

20220921_123406.thumb.jpg.5776f671897e8a578ca682cf48a42c09.jpg

20221011_164457.thumb.jpg.d6f29df13b27cbcc6620142123b5dad3.jpg

20221011_164451.thumb.jpg.4ac3d10a403c44cde9c90621e3a44701.jpg

20221011_164448.thumb.jpg.6d9af3b24554c4758a2e22d2fe6d3080.jpg

• Like 1

Also it's a ****** to get to this last connector since its against the firewall.

Recommend to remove the door-footwell trim kick panel that you scuff your free across to get in to gain better access to the BCM (like you would if you were installing the denali door sill light panels).

Edited by matt99199

13 hours ago, matt99199 said:

I figured it out myself!!!

Without help from any dealer or my friend. I mean I guess wrong instructions count as help but....

So it is still X1 as it says in the old instructions but for 2022 refresh they rotated the BCM 180deg to double up modules onto the same bracket (ELM on the right, BCM on the left side).

But the connector is not grey as stated in the document, it's black now.

However it still looks the same and it's still pin 1. This will work for the denali door sills install.

For footwell lights its a bit trickier. Basically the pins are not off the shelf. Molex makes these connectors and parts for GM only.

However I work for a supplier and have some spare cut offs with a stub of wire with a crimped pin on it.

I'm willing to ship out if you pay for shipping and small finders fee (PM me).

I'll contact Molex and see if we can get uncrimped pins from them or not but I have a feeling they will say no unless it's business related.

My next step is to electronic load test this circuit to see the cutoff. It's possible you may be able to drive some footwell lights directly. Will keep you guys updated.

20220921_123406.thumb.jpg.5776f671897e8a578ca682cf48a42c09.jpg

20221011_164457.thumb.jpg.d6f29df13b27cbcc6620142123b5dad3.jpg

20221011_164451.thumb.jpg.4ac3d10a403c44cde9c90621e3a44701.jpg

20221011_164448.thumb.jpg.6d9af3b24554c4758a2e22d2fe6d3080.jpg

That is AWESOME!!