2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a 2022 Silverado LT Trail Boss and since the first time I connected my trailer (a 2020 Flagstaff E-Pro 20BHS) I have this buggy display on the camera.

The brake controller randomly stops working, but the camera is consistently buggy. I contacted the dealer, they investigated the issue and concluded the brake controller is faulty. They cleared the brake controller error codes and updated the camera software, but the display is still buggy every time I connect the trailer. I have the buggy display only in camera mode, it looks ok in other menus. Waiting for the dealer to replace the brake controller, but I feel the camera issues will not be fixed this way. I checked all connections that I could access under the truck and they look ok.

Did anybody else experience this issues? Any help or advice that I could use are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

902459445_Screenshotfrom2022-10-1716-18-55.thumb.png.bf4e8d38f9358c840fd92a2472057c06.png

Screenshot from 2022-09-30 17-00-53.png

Screenshot from 2022-09-30 17-01-43.png

Screenshot from 2022-09-30 17-02-43.png

Edited by drafil

• 2 weeks later...

I had an appointment yesterday and the dealer tested the issue with a new brake controller, but the same error codes have been displayed (C159C). It looks like there is a software issue. Looks like GM published a technical bulletin (PIT5948A), but I can't find any details on it.

I just hope GM will find and fix the issues soon, I bought the truck for towing and I can't use it. :(

Hey Drafil!

I'm in the same boat as you with the C159C code. I Haven't been able to get any resolution on it either. I have the bulletin PIT5948A, I can post it if you want. I have a case opened with GM Corporate as the dealership isn't very helpful. If they are unable to fix it sooner than later I'm going to attempt to go Lemon Law on it as its unacceptable for a pickup truck to not be able to tow. 

Hi Shield1984,

Thank you for your comments! Yes please, I would like to have more details on bulletin PIT5948A.

I will also open a case with GM this week, I have to get more info on the procedure. Any hints on this topic would also be very appreciated.

I absolutely agree with you on the Lemon Law! Although we don't have the Lemon Law in Canada, there is an equivalent that can ultimately force the manufacturer to buy back the truck. I absolutely love this truck, but I bought it for the towing capabilities, so if it cannot accomplish its main purpose, it is useless for me!

Thank you!

On 10/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, drafil said:

I had an appointment yesterday and the dealer tested the issue with a new brake controller, but the same error codes have been displayed (C159C). It looks like there is a software issue. Looks like GM published a technical bulletin (PIT5948A), but I can't find any details on it.

I just hope GM will find and fix the issues soon, I bought the truck for towing and I can't use it. :(

This is certainly not what we like to hear, drafil.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado LT Trail Boss. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: drafil/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit  https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I'm having the exact same issue sans the camera issue.  Same technical bulletin given to me by the dealer and C159C code. My dealer gave me the information, I called GM to ensure I opened a case - I bought my 2022 refresh 3.0 RST to tow a small camper for my family and I.

The brakes work fine for a few minutes - then they throw a message onto my info panel "Trailer Brakes Disabled Service Required".

I thought it was my trailer, however had my neighbors tow it with their Ram and Ford, neither had any issue.

I called my dealer, they informed me it could be the technical bulletin/code above, but to bring it in - they confirmed my truck was falling under it.

They did wire an aftermarket controller into it on Friday, which I will test this afternoon (was running around all weekend with kids and events). I also called customer service this AM to get a case number (albeit they cannot find the technical bulletin on their side) - but the most frustrating part of this the lack of transparency and estimated timeline to fix.

I found this truck in transit to my dealer because it had the package with the brake controller and cameras in the mirrors that will shoot back either side when the turn signal is on, my wife booked a few camp sites for us this fall (including this coming weekend) - if the external controller doesn't work, we will need to cancel those, and regardless, the brake controller with wires up to my center console is not going to be an acceptable long-term solution.

I wish:

1) I was told about this during my purchase - I doubt my salesman knew of the issue - I put my wife, myself, and other motorists in danger by driving he rest of the way home from the trailer dealership, but took it easy, however when I did need to stop - the brake smell was obvious.

2) I could find more transparency online regarding the PIT5948A/C159C online, this is one of the only places I could find a post on it.

If this external brake controller doesn't work, I'll video the issue in my driveway and post on YouTube to show you the issues I'm having.

edit/update - The external brake controller did not work.  I've photo the message I receive when trying to use the integrated controller.  

20221017_151721.thumb.jpg.cd6bccecdae9f40bfab9fdf5ea4429b8.jpg

Edited by brentrb031
update/photo

6 hours ago, silveradosid said:

have you tried hooking to a different trailer, some how you are getting a feed back on the trailer camera wires

Hi Silveradosid,

No, I have not, but my trailer brakes worked perfectly with the aftermarket brake controller (Primus IQ 90160) installed on my previous vehicle.

I'm dropping my truck off at dealer overnight, they are going to try another external brake controller and this time test it on an employee's trailer.

This all sucks b/c 1) they are 45 minutes away. 2) I don't have the time to take it during the day b/c of meetings and 3) I need to find rides home tonight and there tomorrow night - I leave for a work trip on Wednesday AM, returning Friday afternoon before our scheduled trip.  I guess I'll need to test it Tuesday night before I leave to determine if we can even go on our trip at this point.

7 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, drafil.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Silverado LT Trail Boss. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: drafil/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Hi GMCustomerService,

Thank you for your message, I just sent a detailed email to [email protected], hope it will speed up the resolution of these issues.

I'm with you.  Chevy will get the wrath of my wife.  It's just disappointing, I'm in the same boat. I said 3 months ago to my wife "I'm going to keep my 16 Frontier" for 3 more years then go Electric."  Then 30 days later she said "lets get a camper, the kids will love it".  I sold the Frontier, researched Ford v. Chevy v. Toyota (not Ram, I think they are ugly as hell) and narrowed it to the F150 Hybrid or the 3.0 Duramax.  I couldn't even see a Hybrid for 2-4 months based on convos with dealers so test drove the 3.0 with the refresh and loved it - Now I'm sitting with a truck that I can't do anything more with vs. my 2016 Frontier...  

So it looks this issue is not isolated. Let's keep each others updated on the subject so that if one of us gets to fix the issue, the others could also benefit quickly.