Will the transmission from my 2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 work in my 2003 Tahoe 5.3?

Hi guys, not sure if I chose the correct forum for this question but I just bought a clean 2003 Z71 Tahoe 5.3. I am parting out my 2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 and was wondering if the Tranny from the 6.0 would fit and work on the 5.3 and if so what other parts would I need off the 6.0? Thanks!

Nick

Can it work, sure but I wouldn't suggest it because of all the work involved.

The Tahoe has a 4L60e, the 2500HD has a 4L80e. The 80e is a much bigger/longer and beefier transmission. You can research 4L80e swaps to give a much better breakdown but here are the main parts.

You need to swap flex plates for the converter. The transmission is longer so the crossmember has to be modded and extended or buy one from a vendor that sells them. Cooler lines need modding to work again. Then you have to figure out if your transfer case will work on the 80e, if it doesn't then you have to get the correct splines to make it work. Then the driveshafts have to be measured and likely altered. The wiring harness needs some pin changing at the plug and lastly it has to be tuned to make it all function correctly.

No.

I'll add to CamGTP and say the transmission controller also needs to be changed.

The old days of swapping stuff around are gone. It simply costs too much to swap anything these days. If you're married to the idea, check out Novak conversions.

The 4L80E is stronger stock than the 4L60E, but parts are available to beef up the 4L60E.

Edited by David89GMC
typo