In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

new truck 1st OIL CHANGE 500 miles or less

No need. I change every 5k with a full synthetic myself. Never had an issue and have owned several brand new vehicles over the past 36 years. Brand of oil really doesn't matter. They all make a good synthetic. Been using Walmart SuperTech oil since 2008 in all my vehicles and have never had an issue. It tests as good or better than Pennzoil and Mobil 1 full synthetic. Buy whatever oil makes you feel good and if you want to change it early go ahead, but not needed IMO.

When I get a vehicle, what the dealer may tell me is irrelevant.  I change oil on my terms and when I can't do it myself I take it to a local shop where I know the owner for many years. I give him my AMSOIL and he does is for a nominal fee. 

I drove fleet trucks for 30 yrs (GPS Survey Team had 6) and our mandated OCI's were 5,000 miles period, no exceptions. This used to really po a coworker because he was a die hard 3,000 miles OCI person.  Yet he changed oil religiously on his 1980 Olds every 3,000 miles with Pennzoil and it was burning oil so bad at 80,000 it needed a new rebuilt engine.  Yet our work trucks never had engine failures and were worked harder than his babied Olds.

Drivers were not allowed to make decisions on maintenance, everything needed MAP approval before work started.

5 minutes ago, FJB said:

I don’t understand why you have problems with this bro do what make you happy, i like wrenching on my ****** , i wil do what i want, and I will share it with everyone on here ,  you can start you own thread and say when I buy a new car i never change my oil ever there is no need everything is new no need to oil change, , America is still mostly FREE we can do what ever we want 😂🤷🏻‍♂️ happy sunday from Michigan 😏

No problems. Do what makes you feel good. The only people it seems who have oil related problems have bad engines to start with. For the people who don’t know any better read your manual. The others whatever floats your boat. 

19 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

No problems. Do what makes you feel good. The only people it seems who have oil related problems have bad engines to start with. For the people who don’t know any better read your manual. The others whatever floats your boat. 

sure you will find a lots of good information in the owners manual, you also have to understand people like me that LOVE CARS AND TRUCKS and treat them little more than just from A to B,   from 1997 until now I have many muscle cars you name it and I had it, this is what I do I love cars trucks with BIG AMERICAN V8 MOTORS and I treat them like my kids , overkill yeah, make me happy yeah to do this so that's that. I don't do drugs I don't smoke I don't drink alcohol I don't chase women , I have a wife kids that I love very much and support ,  I workout that's one of my love things to do AND I LOVE MY HARLEYS AND AMERICAN V8 .... lots of things I do to my cars is overkill but who care make me happy and that's what matters to me . CHEERS FROM MICHIGAN !!

4 minutes ago, FJB said:

sure you will find a lots of good information in the owners manual, you also have to understand people like me that LOVE CARS AND TRUCKS and treat them little more than just from A to B,   from 1997 until now I have many muscle cars you name it and I had it, this is what I do I love cars trucks with BIG AMERICAN V8 MOTORS and I treat them like my kids , overkill yeah, make me happy yeah to do this so that's that. I don't do drugs I don't smoke I don't drink alcohol I don't chase women , I have a wife kids that I love very much and support ,  I workout that's one of my love things to do AND I LOVE MY HARLEYS AND AMERICAN V8 .... lots of things I do to my cars is overkill but who care make me happy and that's what matters to me . CHEERS FROM MICHIGAN !!

With the exception of motorcycle pretty much has been my life. Throw in drag racing and building some mean Impalas in my life. I couldn’t get enough of 60-70s American muscle cars, I’ve had my share. My wife’s passion is sports cars. She has a Acura intagra type r. My younger brother was just at the Houston Racetrack with his little red express truck. He heard the track was about to close and wanted one last visit. He had it since new. My brother in law is getting ready to retire. We’re going to restore his 69 Firebird his first car. My experience with oil and hydraulics is related to the family business. Our clearing business as well as now our equipment sales business that I retired from. I am of course familiar with different oils. Amsoil was our first synthetic years ago mainly for durability and extending oil changes in the field. Our equipment was able to double the hours between oil changes. Our hydraulics could withstand hose failure without cavitation in pumps and motors. Thanks to Amsoil oils, saving thousands. Our work trucks, equipment, personal vehicles went extended. Even our hauling equipment that saw very extreme duty. My brothers 95 dodge big daddy regular cab specialty pickup was treated to bypass filtration. It went 50K miles without an oil change. My wife’s 94 Z-28 had 5 oil changes and 7 years on Amsoil. It became my son’s first car and later my toy for playing at the drag strip. It ran mid 13s. In my many years of driving and over 100 vehicles I’ve owned I had one engine expire. My 95 V-10 Ram. My demo equipment mover on the way to a demo expo. It’s GVW at the time was 25K with trailer and tractor. A manufacturer defect causing lean burn blowing three pistons. Still had oil pressure. My life was extreme testing equipment, engines, oils and hydraulics. Nothing made me happier that pulling my equipment across country with the back glass open. Diesel, gas, V-10 or 8. With 3 inch exhaust sometimes with Megaphone tips. Or open headers at the drag strip. Do I have experience with oil? Hands on definitely. I pass on my experience people can make their own choices. 

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

With the exception of motorcycle pretty much has been my life. Throw in drag racing and building some mean Impalas in my life. I couldn’t get enough of 60-70s American muscle cars, I’ve had my share. My wife’s passion is sports cars. She has a Acura intagra type r. My younger brother was just at the Houston Racetrack with his little red express truck. He heard the track was about to close and wanted one last visit. He had it since new. My brother in law is getting ready to retire. We’re going to restore his 69 Firebird his first car. My experience with oil and hydraulics is related to the family business. Our clearing business as well as now our equipment sales business that I retired from. I am of course familiar with different oils. Amsoil was our first synthetic years ago mainly for durability and extending oil changes in the field. Our equipment was able to double the hours between oil changes. Our hydraulics could withstand hose failure without cavitation in pumps and motors. Thanks to Amsoil oils, saving thousands. Our work trucks, equipment, personal vehicles went extended. Even our hauling equipment that saw very extreme duty. My brothers 95 dodge big daddy regular cab specialty pickup was treated to bypass filtration. It went 50K miles without an oil change. My wife’s 94 Z-28 had 5 oil changes and 7 years on Amsoil. It became my son’s first car and later my toy for playing at the drag strip. It ran mid 13s. In my many years of driving and over 100 vehicles I’ve owned I had one engine expire. My 95 V-10 Ram. My demo equipment mover on the way to a demo expo. It’s GVW at the time was 25K with trailer and tractor. A manufacturer defect causing lean burn blowing three pistons. Still had oil pressure. My life was extreme testing equipment, engines, oils and hydraulics. Nothing made me happier that pulling my equipment across country with the back glass open. Diesel, gas, V-10 or 8. With 3 inch exhaust sometimes with Megaphone tips. Or open headers at the drag strip. Do I have experience with oil? Hands on definitely. I pass on my experience people can make their own choices. 

ok cool cary on, thank for your input , I will still be changing the factory oil at 500 miles .

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

As the most damaging size is 5 micron, a size a full flow filter will not filter out....dilution/flush, via an oil change is the next best weapon. 

I found that 10-20 is most damaging but I may be dated.  I had not heard 5 um is the main third party wear particle.  Respectfully where did you come up with that um size? 

Edited by customboss
spelling error
  • Like 1

My Silverado with the 6.2 has 5700 miles on it, of which there are over 600 towing our TT. Oil life is currently at 24%. Checked it this weekend and it's between the hash marks and still has a golden hue to it. It'd be nice to get the module for a few retrofits by the time it's due and done, but it's no rush.

OCI's, whether the first or simply one of many, are a personal preference and likely good either way one chooses. 500, 3000, 5000,7500, 10%, whatever.

My routine is change at 500 miles, then again at 2,000 and then at 5,000 and then go from there what my UOA states I can go. 

FJB, Blackstone Labs is ok to a point on UOA's.  They do not have the latest equipment and is why they can keep cost down.  They don't use gas chromatography.   It's my understanding they use ASTM-standard Cleveland Open Cup flashpoint method and it isn't very accurate.  That plays an important part on the oil's protection.

Use my ISO certified oil analysis and you will get an accurate UOA. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

My routine is change at 500 miles, then again at 2,000 and then at 5,000 and then go from there what my UOA states I can go. 

FJB, Blackstone Labs is ok to a point on UOA's.  They do not have the latest equipment and is why they can keep cost.  They don't use gas chromatography.   It's my understanding they use ASTM-standard Cleveland Open Cup flashpoint method and it isn't very accurate.  That plays an important part on the oil's protection.

Use my ISO certified oil analysis and you will get an accurate UOA. 

Ok. I feel I can ask you this and you wouldn’t get your feeling hurt. If debris is the reason for 500 miles oil change. Why not change after the drive home. The first build on my 454 years ago failed at 50 miles. The builder a well regarded builder allowed contamination. I drove it enough to recheck the lifters. It started knocking at an idle. It didn’t make 500 miles obviously. Needed total rebuilding. So anything but mild contamination going to caught right away. Held in the filter to a regular oil change. I’ve done some rebuilding everything is lubed going in and pre oiled before starting. So if it’s 500 miles for building debris it should be done much sooner. Do you send off the 500 mile and go damn waited too long? Just wondering. 

9 hours ago, customboss said:

I found that 10-20 is most damaging but I may be dated.  I had not heard 5 um is the main third party wear particle.  Respectfully where did you come up with that um size? 

I believe it was the GM wear study I referenced. 

• Like 1