new truck 1st OIL CHANGE 500 miles or less

14 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Ok. I feel I can ask you this and you wouldn’t get your feeling hurt. If debris is the reason for 500 miles oil change. Why not change after the drive home. The first build on my 454 years ago failed at 50 miles. The builder a well regarded builder allowed contamination. I drove it enough to recheck the lifters. It started knocking at an idle. It didn’t make 500 miles obviously. Needed total rebuilding. So anything but mild contamination going to caught right away. Held in the filter to a regular oil change. I’ve done some rebuilding everything is lubed going in and pre oiled before starting. So if it’s 500 miles for building debris it should be done much sooner. Do you send off the 500 mile and go damn waited too long? Just wondering. 

Maybe not so much draining that early for the debris but maybe the other stuff like assembly lube and such that is inside and anything else that UOA will not recognize.  I've been doing it this way for a long time and something that just makes me feel better.  Plus, I don't have a life other than vehicles for the most part.  What others spend on sports, hunting, fishing, knitting, basket weaving, I spend on oil changes and UOA's.

Anything can happen like you stated.   One thing comes to mind is my 65 Impala that I had a reputable shop over in Charlotte NC that works on the side from their NASCAR stuff, they said that when the tore the engine down to rebuild it, that it was put together dirty by the way the bearings looked with only 10k miles on it from the last rebuild.  I was young back then and had it rebuilt fast and it never ran right is the reason for rebuild.  Anyway, the person that purchased the impala from me loved the car and was driving it down the interstate and lost oil pressure.  When he tore it apart one of the main bearings that gets oil first was trashed.  He suspected that again, trash from the rebuild got into it.  Surprisingly he was not upset with me.  Not like I could have known that.   So things happen for the most part. It had 20k on the new rebuild when I sold it.  Amazing that it took that long to have it happen.  Did they clean the block well enough?  Who knows.

Not that new vehicles will have issues like such but being mass produced anything can happen and with my luck it would happen to me.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dirk13 said:

Maybe (?) idiotic would have been more fitting?

If it's this hard to find your words maybe silence would prevent further embarrassment?

At least until you collect your thoughts.

Just a suggestion

🤫

The gasket making materials being used are very chemically ACTIVE and that will impact the engine oil by depleting its reserve TBN, and neutralizing  anti wear additives.   Toyota had such problems with this that they reformulated the bonding agents because it affected the 3.0 V6 EGR and CCV system so  much that they had to pay for extended warranties and repair gummed up engines. 

I drive the new car/truck home and change the oil out. Usually leave the OEM factory oil filter on. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Maybe not so much draining that early for the debris but maybe the other stuff like assembly lube and such that is inside and anything else that UOA will not recognize.  I've been doing it this way for a long time and something that just makes me feel better.  Plus, I don't have a life other than vehicles for the most part.  What others spend on sports, hunting, fishing, knitting, basket weaving, I spend on oil changes and UOA's.

Anything can happen like you stated.   One thing comes to mind is my 65 Impala that I had a reputable shop over in Charlotte NC that works on the side from their NASCAR stuff, they said that when the tore the engine down to rebuild it, that it was put together dirty by the way the bearings looked with only 10k miles on it from the last rebuild.  I was young back then and had it rebuilt fast and it never ran right is the reason for rebuild.  Anyway, the person that purchased the impala from me loved the car and was driving it down the interstate and lost oil pressure.  When he tore it apart one of the main bearings that gets oil first was trashed.  He suspected that again, trash from the rebuild got into it.  Surprisingly he was not upset with me.  Not like I could have known that.   So things happen for the most part. It had 20k on the new rebuild when I sold it.  Amazing that it took that long to have it happen.  Did they clean the block well enough?  Who knows.

Not that new vehicles will have issues like such but being mass produced anything can happen and with my luck it would happen to me.

Thank you just curious. Sometimes I’m bewildered by some people on here think there way is the only way. Being a little OCD I understand doing things just for piece of mind. And if that works for you that’s reason enough. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, RedLT said:

Did my "break-in" oil change at 1k miles and will be doing oil change intervals between 3k ~ 4K miles.  I think staying persistent on oil changes will net you better benefits.

If nothing else , I believe it will decrease the chance of lifter failure. 

I change both my new trucks every 3000 miles with Royal Purple 0w20. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

If nothing else , I believe it will decrease the chance of lifter failure. 

I change both my new trucks every 3000 miles with Royal Purple 0w20. 

That’s the goal, i think dirty oil is not helping the situation with the lifters, keeping the oil clean and fresh I would think that will help the lifters to stay operating in good health and not sticking….. the time will tell, with my luck i will probably have lifters fall  anyway 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FJB said:

That’s the goal, i think dirty oil is not helping the situation with the lifters, keeping the oil clean and fresh I would think that will help the lifters to stay operating in good health and not sticking….. the time will tell, with my luck i will probably have lifters fall  anyway 😂

Not to get into this argument of what is best practice for you first oil change, as it really doesn't matter and is more of a preference of the user imo. I have seen almost more low mileage under 5k lifter failures on here than ones with higher miles. I don't think the cleanliness of oil has anything to do with the lifter issues on these trucks, just bad parts that have a high failure rate unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Not to get into this argument of what is best practice for you first oil change, as it really doesn't matter and is more of a preference of the user imo. I have seen almost more low mileage under 5k lifter failures on here than ones with higher miles. I don't think the cleanliness of oil has anything to do with the lifter issues on these trucks, just bad parts that have a high failure rate unfortunately.

This is true on 20 to 21 models GM identified a bad batch of lifters.  This is why they were going bad so quickly.

46 minutes ago, FJB said:

I'm still making early oil change no matter what internet EXPERTS TELL  ME .

I think you may be confused. The internet experts are telling you to change early. The manufacturers are not. You know the people that make them. I’m an expert at building and maintaining all kinds of engines. Especially heavy duty off road. I say do what makes you happy. I think you made that clear. Peace brother. 

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I think you may be confused. The internet experts are telling you to change early. The manufacturers are not. You know the people that make them. I’m an expert at building and maintaining all kinds of engines. Especially heavy duty off road. I say do what makes you happy. I think you made that clear. Peace brother. 

early fresh and clean 😉 

• Like 1