Rocker Panels R Us, NOT!

Hello All,

I decided to create a separate topic on just Rocker panels or lack thereof in my case.

After doing some research, I fully well know that the proper method is to cut them out and replace. I was even foolish enough (or so damn tired) that I ordered that type after looking at the ones you just cover over. Those have been returned as it is well above my capability.

I have included some pictures for those that are not faint of heart.

What I have found was to use "Great Foam" in the cavity, grate it off, just below the curve.  I bought the Bondo metal adhesive strips, so just put the strips on, Bondo it and smooth it out as best I can, prime, paint an then buy the Rocker panel covers that just adhere with 3M tape (and any other glue I have in the shop) to secure them.

I had a thought of using Bondo Fiberglass resin with the thicker cloth that I found at NAPA. When I talked to 3M, all they had to say was it was not a strucurely product.

Of course I will do rust mitigation and spray some rust over type paint prior.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

image(32).jpg

image(31).jpg

image(30).jpg

image(29).jpg

image(28).jpg

Foam will promote more moisture and rust forming.  

Rust is cancer on trucks.  Once it start, it just spreads so it needs to be cut right out and replaced.  Foam, bondo and metal strips would be like using a bandaid on an amputated leg.  

I wonder if it would be worth spraying used motor oil or some oil type product on what's left just to get it by a bit longer/protect what's left until a proper rocker panel replacement can be done aka cut out all of it, get new rocker panels and weld away.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

it looks like it may have already been painted with rust killer paint due to the black color but that doesn't work unless you get it down to just surface rust. The closed cell hardening spray foam doesn't absorb moisture but may trap it and promote more corrosion, It is a band-aid but  will work to get you through inspection or to get by for a year or 2 until you can replace it properly or get another truck

Yes, someone did paint on the outside of the rocker panel. Twas not I. Have only have the truck 2 months.

I think they did that to match the new fender covers that were put on to hide those rust eaten fenders. That I can address without much issue as much will be hidden by those covers and where the rust has gone above, I will do a proper job with a re-paint.

Understood about the trap of moisture. I intend to clean as best I can. De-Rust it and spray on a paint that does adhere to rust PRIOR to putting in the great stuff.

I realize that it is only a band aid approach but I have to get this truck in as good of condition as I can, as quickly as I can. Maybe next year I will be in a better position to be able to do a proper job.

Thank you everyone for your input and support. It means a lot to me to be able to get good information from those that have "been there, done that"!

Kevin

Many companies make that rust stop paint, it works by turning iron oxide into iron disulfide, I have had varying degrees of success with it, as with any paint, prep work is key. The best stuff I used was made for steel ships and is used by the navy. I painted a rusty snow plow with it and even after the yellow paint wore off it never rusted again

• Like 1