I removed the active grill shutters for betting cooling

• 11bravoZ71 changed the title to I removed the active grill shutters for betting cooling
  • 4 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, HistoryTeacher2020 said:

How did you do it. Aside from removing the grill, was it easy or hard? Thank you.

I modified them on my '18. I removed the grill, then the shutter assembly. On it you'll find there are three blades with arms connected directly to the actuator motor, let's call those primary blades. I left those in place. I completely removed the remaining blades that are actuated by the primary blades. Reassembled everything and now it thinks it's closing the entire assembly when only part of the assembly is present. No codes, and better cooling for the engine and transmission.

My original reasoning for modifying this system was, at highway speeds and sometimes even surface road driving my coolant temps would spike up and then drop back down to normal. I know these engines like to run "hot", but looking down and semi-regularly seeing temps around 230 degrees just wasn't for me. Since doing the mod over a year ago I have yet to see engine coolant temps exceed 215 degrees in Texas heat while towing.