2022 Silverado high pitch whine off Idle

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/12/chevy-silverado-turbo-2-7l-l3b-engine-whine-is-normal-says-gm/

I asked the same question a month or so ago. Mine is a '22 as well and has been doing it since day one. I had a 2020 with the 2.7l turbo as well and there was no such noise, I know they have revamped the engine since then, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. I've gotten used to it, but it's still a bit concerning. The feedback through the radio speakers comment nails it, I couldn't really figure out a good way to describe it. Hopefully it's nothing that's going to cause problems down the road. 

After listening to all the videos and audio clips in this thread, your whine is definitely different than mine. Mine only makes a whine when I am accelerating, and its definitely the turbo spooling. The whine in this thread sounds more like an electrical whine or something. Hope you get it figured out soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, same problem with silverado 2022 2,4L. Bought it a month ago, and it's been doing it since day one. Tried it twice on two different ones before buying, and the 2 others didn't make a sound. When I told the vendor (that was sitting next to me while on the test drive) that the one he delivered me was making the whine, he told me it was the turbo. The thing is I was with him when I tried the other and it was completely silent. 

I have an underground parking space and when the windows are down, you can hear it very clearly from outside and inside the truck. To me it sounds like an old car that's about to break down, and I find it very concerning. Feels like I bought a 50 000$ lemon.

Is there any new development on the subject?

Urecorder_20230329_.m4a

Edited by Hugo Hebert

I’ve got the same whine, 2023 Sierra. I’m not terribly bothered by it, but it’s annoying to think that GM doesn’t really know how to get rid of it, or doesn’t care to. Here’s hoping it doesn’t become an actual problem with the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on my last post, 

I went and did a test drive with the head Mechanic at my local Chevy Dealer. He instantly noticed that something was wrong with the whine, it's not suppose to be noisy, even at cruising speed.

According to him, it's transmission related, since they never had problems with the engine. He booked me an appointment in may to replace the piece of the transmission that is faulty according to him. He seemed to know where the issue comes from.

I will update you once the change is done and let you know if it worked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, Hugo Hebert said:

Little update on my last post, 

I went and did a test drive with the head Mechanic at my local Chevy Dealer. He instantly noticed that something was wrong with the whine, it's not suppose to be noisy, even at cruising speed.

According to him, it's transmission related, since they never had problems with the engine. He booked me an appointment in may to replace the piece of the transmission that is faulty according to him. He seemed to know where the issue comes from.

I will update you once the change is done and let you know if it worked.

Any updates?

There is a new TSB dated March 2023 that recommends replacing lower crankcase extension. I believe it applies only to 2.7L engine.  The TSB number is 23-NA-015.

I had a similar complaint regarding my 2023 Sierra 5.3L. The dealer mechanic thought the TSB would apply to my truck and gave me a copy of the TSB. However, their shop foreman later said that new TSB applies only to 2.7L and that whining noise I have is normal for the 10 speed transmission. 

Update on the appointment. After a week of work on it, they tried changing parts on transmissions and on the motor with no success. They did acknowledge at first that the sound was off, but ultimately they couldn't find the fix and ruled out any major problem. I just received a call from them saying there's nothing more they can do, it's now suppose to be normal and that I should come and pick my truck back.

I'm starting to consider making a complaint and trying to get a new one, if it's even possible...Last time I tried to write to GM, they wouldn't help me, redirecting me to the dealership. I will try and see if they could do something with what alexTheMan said on TBS 23-NA-015 tho. 

23-NA-015 

Its balance shaft gear whine.  It is considered NORMAL however there are SOME trucks exhibiting very strong gear whine and GM has a fix, replace the lower crankcase extension assembly.  The LCE Extension is the piece that the lower plastic oil pan attaches to.  

Dealer can pull this up in GM's system and THERE IS VIDEO from GM they can play showing normal whine and excessive whine.  Noise affects engines with less than 10,000mi on them.