Inner Tailgate Can't Be Disabled on 2022 Refresh Sierra 1500 Denali

Brand-new truck with 9 miles was freighted to my house last Friday. The press-and-hold-top-button-for-3-seconds-with-keyfob-within-3-ft-of-rear-bumper process to disable inner tailgate does nothing. The only thing that happens with the Inner tailgate latches release, just as if I am opening the inner tailgate.

One caveat here: My truck has the parking sensors not included from the factory for later retrofit. Could this have something to do with it?

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I the first person to have to take their truck in for service with 9 miles on the odometer?

My refresh Silverado LTZ does the same. The top part unlatches, you drop the main gate, the inner part still comes down. Perhaps it's not active on all models. 

Personally, I've installed www.tailgatefix.com on my past 2 trucks with the Multi-Pro/Flex tailgate. That's worked great for several years and I don't need a goofy looking hitch, either. 👍

I thought I read somewhere that ALL new trucks had this feature. I mean, why WOULDN'T they? Why make it one way for some and not others? Especially on the uplevel trims. I mean, it's got the main gate lockout, where if you open the inner gate first, you can't open the main gate, so why would they skimp on the inner gate lockout? In any event, it seems like a simple firmware update would get that feature working. 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

3 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

My refresh Silverado LTZ does the same. The top part unlatches, you drop the main gate, the inner part still comes down. Perhaps it's not active on all models. 

Personally, I've installed www.tailgatefix.com on my past 2 trucks with the Multi-Pro/Flex tailgate. That's worked great for several years and I don't need a goofy looking hitch, either. 👍

Do you have experience with the current tailgatefix model that includes wiring that allows you to switch between disabling either gate? I would think with a trailer hooked up you'd want to prevent the entire tailgate from dropping, because if it drops while doing a sharp reverse turn the main gate might get crushed. Also, does it disable the entire main or inner gate mechanism, so it also can't drop via the fob or the center stack switch inside the vehicle? 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

The ones I have will only lockout the inner gate. Everything else functions normally. Haven't heard of many GM tailgates dropping on their own, but I suppose it is possible. Not overly concerned about that scenario, though.

It was a pretty quick install and the directions are straightforward and simple. I've not had any issues with either that I've had. They've worked well and no other problems with them being erratic or otherwise.

Thanks for the additional details. To clarify, I didn't mean to imply the gates drop on their own. I meant I would want them not to be able to be opened when a trailer was hooked up.

I'm leaning in the direction of getting the tailgatefix. One thing I would like clarification on, please: I understand that the top button on the tailgate won't open the inner gate when you have a hitch pin in place, but will the key fob or the switch inside the vehicle still open the inner gate? I'm hoping the inner gate is completely locked out and nothing will allow the inner gate to open when a hitch pin is in place. 

As I mentioned earlier, the current model includes harnesses for the inner gate AND the main gate. Knowing that they made the inner gate model cut power to the mechanisms themselves, and not just to the button, it stands to reason that they probably also interrupted power to the main gate mechanisms so the key fob and console switch likely won't deploy the main gate, either, when the "sensor" is wired to prevent main gate from opening. 

FWIW, when only a hitch is installed, I don't want the inner gate to be able to be opened, but when I have a trailer attched I don't want the main gate to be able to be opened. It's OK if the inner gate can be opened in that scenario though, because if the main gate is closed, opening the inner gate wouldn't cause a problem. 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

On 11/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, gemarsh said:

Might not be equipped...618521355_Screenshot_20221114_193749_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.2e8967071a0db20eff44aebbbc0afd9e.jpg

Went to a local dealer today, and they said they've seen some without the capability but when I showed them a sticker right on the side of the truck that has instructions on how to disable it, they said they'd contact GM. I should not have instructions stamped on my tailgate on how disable the inner gate if it is not so equipped. I think I have grounds to file a false advertising claim, and GM should install whatever is supposed to be on my truck that to make this feature work.

53 minutes ago, 453030 said:

How hard would it be to simply have the inner gate be automatically disabled if any hitch is inserted in the receiver?  That is how these should be delivered.

You might want to read through this thread from the top. Two aftermarket companies already make products that do this. 

I don't have my truck yet (TPW is 11/28).  I will be towing a travel trailer a lot.  I expect the full tailgate to hit the trailer jack when I'm hooked up, but I expect to have room to open the inner gate.  I tow with a Yukon now, and I keep my hitching equipment in the back of the Yukon.  I grab the stuff through the window.  I hope to be able to reach into the truck through the inner gate just as easily.  So I want the inner gate to be active when I'm hitched up.  Ideally I'd want the main disabled when the trailer is connected, and also when the trailer is disconnected, the hitch is installed, and the inner gate is already open.  But I doubt that is possible without having my wife build me something (she's the EE, I'm just a software guy).

54 minutes ago, ExYukon said:

I don't have my truck yet (TPW is 11/28).  I will be towing a travel trailer a lot.  I expect the full tailgate to hit the trailer jack when I'm hooked up, but I expect to have room to open the inner gate.  I tow with a Yukon now, and I keep my hitching equipment in the back of the Yukon.  I grab the stuff through the window.  I hope to be able to reach into the truck through the inner gate just as easily.  So I want the inner gate to be active when I'm hitched up.  Ideally I'd want the main disabled when the trailer is connected, and also when the trailer is disconnected, the hitch is installed, and the inner gate is already open.  But I doubt that is possible without having my wife build me something (she's the EE, I'm just a software guy).

No need to invent. Tailgatefix.com. As I discussed higher up in this thread with another forum member, the current model of their device allows you to flop back and forth between disabling the inner gate and main gate. So, if you only have a two hitch in, you can have the device set to disable only the inner gate. If you have a trailer hooked up, you can have it disable the main gate while keeping the functionality of the inner gate. You and I want the exact same thing.

And, no, I do not work for the company. I don't have one of their units yet, although I plan to get one as soon as I'm done with GM on addressing a few things with my brand-new 1500 Denali.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

On 11/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, MrLeadFoot said:

No need to invent. Tailgatefix.com. As I discussed higher up in this thread with another forum member, the current model of their device allows you to flop back and forth between disabling the inner gate and main gate. So, if you only have a two hitch in, you can have the device set to disable only the inner gate. If you have a trailer hooked up, you can have it disable the main gate while keeping the functionality of the inner gate. You and I want the exact same thing.

And, no, I do not work for the company. I don't have one of their units yet, although I plan to get one as soon as I'm done with GM on addressing a few things with my brand-new 1500 Denali.

Thanks for the explanation. That does sound good.

And I hope those "few things" get solved quickly!