Has anyone actually ran into issues with a 2.5” spacer level?

2014 GMC Sierra z71 4x4

I am super conflicted between 2 and 2.5 inch spacer level. I want the 2.5 for looks but I’ve heard many say 2 inch is max before suspension issues, some say it’s 2.5. I know there’s not a magic number where issues appear but can anyone say they have ran a 2.5 issues and blown a ball joint, uca, cv etc? I do lots of off-roading not sure if that makes the answer any more obvious. Any opinions would be appreciated so I can go ahead and get this level ordered.

2 hours ago, Alex Olsen said:

2014 GMC Sierra z71 4x4

I am super conflicted between 2 and 2.5 inch spacer level. I want the 2.5 for looks but I’ve heard many say 2 inch is max before suspension issues, some say it’s 2.5. I know there’s not a magic number where issues appear but can anyone say they have ran a 2.5 issues and blown a ball joint, uca, cv etc? I do lots of off-roading not sure if that makes the answer any more obvious. Any opinions would be appreciated so I can go ahead and get this level ordered.

IMO, 2 inch level is the max, and even then its worth putting arms on it.  

Being you do lots of off-roading, why not look into a proper lift instead of a level?  In the end of  the day nothing beats a proper lift that satisfies the driveline angles.

3.5" Lift Kit | Chevy/GMC 1500 (14-18) | Rough Country

Cognito 3-Inch Performance Leveling Kit With Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks for 07-18 Silverado/Sierra 1500 2WD/4WD (cognitomotorsports.com)

Cognito 4-Inch Standard Lift Kit for 07-18 Silverado/Sierra 1500 2WD/4WD (cognitomotorsports.com)

8" Coilover Lift Kit | 2014-2018 Chevy / GMC 1/2 Ton Truck 4WD Silverado / Sierra | 743F | BDS Suspension (bds-suspension.com)

19 minutes ago, newdude said:

IMO, 2 inch level is the max, and even then its worth putting arms on it.  

Being you do lots of off-roading, why not look into a proper lift instead of a level?  In the end of  the day nothing beats a proper lift that satisfies the driveline angles.

3.5" Lift Kit | Chevy/GMC 1500 (14-18) | Rough Country

Cognito 3-Inch Performance Leveling Kit With Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks for 07-18 Silverado/Sierra 1500 2WD/4WD (cognitomotorsports.com)

Cognito 4-Inch Standard Lift Kit for 07-18 Silverado/Sierra 1500 2WD/4WD (cognitomotorsports.com)

8" Coilover Lift Kit | 2014-2018 Chevy / GMC 1/2 Ton Truck 4WD Silverado / Sierra | 743F | BDS Suspension (bds-suspension.com)

Main reason for level was just cost, didn’t realize rough country made a 3.5 inch lift for 500$. Would something like that be any good ?

i was under the impression if I want proper lift it would be over 1k all day.

2 minutes ago, Alex Olsen said:

Main reason for level was just cost, didn’t realize rough country made a 3.5 inch lift for 500$. Would something like that be any good ?

i was under the impression if I want proper lift it would be over 1k all day.

I don't have any experience on the RC 3 inch.

As for lift prices...I look at it as would you pay a bit more to have it done right the first time for the use case of the truck?  Or spend less up front but more down the road as things break (UCAs, CV shafts, etc.)?

If you were looking at the Rough Country level, I just wanted to throw my 0.02 cents in. 

I installed the 2" level back mid 2019. A couple months ago, I decided to ditch the level kit for the Rancho QuickLift struts instead. Removing that level kit was a nightmare. Both bolts on driver's side snapped off in middle and the rest that went through lower control arm was rusted solid in it. I had to get creative to get them out. It took 2 days to do in my driveway. Passenger side was still a bear but lots of penetrant,  a 1/2 socket wrench with an extra 3' bar attached along with a mini sledge got those ones out. 

Just something to consider for later if you ever want to remove it or even change struts. Yes, the kit was cheap and initially did what I wanted but I paid for it eventually in lost time and aggravation when removing it.

I went with a 1" level kit, (Motofab blocks IIRC) but also installed Bilstein shocks in the back, which counteracted the 1" level a little bit.  My stock front UCABs were shot as where the base of the shocks, so I replaced the coilover units and entire UCAs at the same time with loaded units (bushings and ball joint pre-installed).  Because I'll often load the bed, I didn't want to blind planes at night so 1" was a good compromise between unladen look and laden usability.

Edited by 16LT4