Pump click off a frequently when refueling

2012 Tahoe can only take about 10 seconds at the pump before you can actually hear it backing up in the filler neck, and it clicks off.

If I pump very slowly its Ok. No engine light, or codes present.

I've read that this could be the Vent Valve solenoid in some of the earlier trucks (2007), but haven't seem any write ups for newer (2012) trucks.

Anyone else with same issue on 2012 era trucks, and what ended up fixing the issue?

Same issue with 04 Silverado WT but usually with less than 1/2 a tank. The vent hose to the filler neck ls very small compared to earlier trucks, it hasn't annoyed me enough yet to investigate further. I just fill it before it goes below 1/2

50 minutes ago, Tahoe2012LTZ said:

2012 Tahoe can only take about 10 seconds at the pump before you can actually hear it backing up in the filler neck, and it clicks off.

If I pump very slowly its Ok. No engine light, or codes present.

I've read that this could be the Vent Valve solenoid in some of the earlier trucks (2007), but haven't seem any write ups for newer (2012) trucks.

Anyone else with same issue on 2012 era trucks, and what ended up fixing the issue?

Its the same vent valve 07-14 Tahoe/Yukon so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what is causing it.  

Ideally a diagnostic scanner is needed to command the system and see if its functioning properly just to make sure.  

• Like 1

Not sure if it's related but I've had similar situation on 03 Trailblazer, If the vehicle is parked too close to the pump where the hose was not stretched out a bit, it would kick off frequently, if I pull the hose to let it stretch out some, it pumps fine. so I've made an effort to park not too close to the pump to let the hose stretch, it's been working out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bleepster said:

I get this at times on my 2011 LT - my solution is i do not fully insert the gas pump nozzle.  i pull it out maybe 1/4 of the way.  seems to help

I tried that as well. It helped a bit, but still could only fill at half throttle.

FOr me it went on all the time in my 06 Avalanche, Especially at some stations which made me think it was those damn fume sucking nozzles; it's not, it's the small vent hose or vent proper that doesn't vent enough for the gas to flow quickly into the tank.

ONE day we will have hoses like aircraft use; it cam locks onto the filler neck, fills the tanks on the plane, then the hose is pumped empty of fuel (it collapses flat), then is disconnected and returned to the refuel-er truck via a powered reel. Wait and watch, the eviro nuts in California will learn about it and before you know it it'll be on civilian vehicles.

its the charcoal canister - it has failed and let charcoal beads flood the vent lines - dealer said it was from overfilling tank  - never fill past first click....

anyway it cost 2 grand to have new canister, new fuel pump, new vent lines and purge valves and new fuel tank installed