False Service ESC and Service Parking Brake lights - Update - Problem Resolved

Service ESC and Service Parking Brakes lights sporadically appear after engine start and POST.  Remote start on key fob no longer will start the engine.   The engine will initially crank and start and then stop and then the oem anti theft starts flashing lights and honking horn.

Took into Chevy dealer and the same thing happens. The tech was baffled as no codes generated or stored.

It is back at the dealer today  because their 30 year veteran of all electronic problems was not available a few weeks ago.

the vehicle manually starts and drives fine.  I am not experiencing the CEL or rough limp mode operation described in other posts.

I purchased the vehicle new in 2019 and it has a little over 49k miles on the odometer.

I already checked, loosened and retightened the 4 mounting bolts on the engine under hood fuse block

anyone else experiencing this?   

Update 11-28-2022. 

Chevy dealership tech said only codes stored was for a key fob low battery and a trailer connection fault.  Cleared codes.   He said it started just fine with the remote I had given them.   So he demonstrated to prove it and it worked.   We tried the remote I always use and had kept with me and it would not remote start.   It would only lock or lock doors, but it did not set off the alarm.

there was no charge for the service visit. 

After a 35 minute drive home I put a new energizer cr2032 into my remote I always use which supposed had a low battery.

I locked the doors and pressed the start button.   After 1 crank and the lights flashing, the oem anti theft alarm went off.

called the Chevy dealer service rep and he said he would discuss with the tech and possibly call GM service support for any ideas they might have.

Update 12-15-2022

Took vehicle in for 3rd visit.    On the 2nd (previous) visit I mentioned to the service tech on 1 occasion I had encountered a brief "hood open" message when manually starting the vehicle but it quickly disappeared.   He was able to recreate the quick false hood open message and even though no codes were generated or stored, determined the hood latch was flakey and needed to be replaced so they ordered one and I went back for a 3rd visit a week later to get the hood latch replaced and also had them do an oil and filter change since the weather here is too brutal to do it outside.

It appears the new hood latch has resolved the problem so far and was the old latch was the electronic gremlin cause to all of the other false messages I have encountered.

The dealership said they have encountered a handful of faulty hood latches.

GM/Chevrolet need to examine and redesign the hood latch or switch to a better manufacturer of the part.   It is bad when the original hood latch which just turned 3 years old on December 6, 2022 failed.   I doubt the hood has been opened and closed more than 36 times in the 3 years (to change oil or to /check oil and other fluid levels at approximately once a month.    The truck just turned 50k and still has the original oem agm battery and the original oem Goodyear Wrangler tires.

I intend to get new tires within the next month.    The battery was just load tested by an large independent battery manufacturer on 12/13/22 while i watched and they said the battery tested like a new battery.   My concern was the battery may not have been holding a charge even though you could manually start  the vehicle just fine.    The reason I did this was something I found in researching the remote start failure which indicated if the vehicle battery was below a certain charge %, remote start would be disabled.

In any event, will give an update in a few weeks.

P.S.  Posters on this forum tend to run down "dealerships" and their service and prices,   Go find another dealer then.   

There is a Chevrolet dealer much closer too me, which I absolutely refuse to deal with or even visit. 

So I purchased this vehicle new  in another town and county which is a 35 minute drive for me each way.

The dealer I originally purchased this vehicle from has been fantastic.  They never charged me a dime for the previous two diagnostic visits because they could not fix the problem.

Their tire rotation fee (if you do not have a coupon for a free one) is lower than most other places.   It is why my tires are in good shape at 50K.  They are focused on customer satisfaction.    They do not want you to leave from your service visit unless you can rate them essentially 10 out of 10 (i.e. extremely satisfied).    They did not have a problem or objection  when I asked if I could walk back and discuss the problem with the service technician.   In fact it was one of these discussions which led the technician to suspect the hood latch as the gremlin/culprit.  Due to lack of generated or stored codes, it was the only real source of information for him.

They also gave me the old defective hood latch as I requested.  I will do some testing on it this winter when I get time.

Edited by SteveP45
Update after 3rd service visit to Chevrolet dealership

• SteveP45 changed the title to False Service ESC and Service Parking Brake lights - Update - Problem Resolved
  • 11 months later...

Stevep45....I stumbled upon your post from November 22 while looking for troubleshooting advice for the exact same symptoms on my 2019 Silverado RST (random Service ESC and Service Parking Brake message as well one brief hood open message).  One year later, did replacing the hood latch permanently solve your issue?

Thanks

You are welcome.   It took me months to resolve the problem and the dealer finally admitted they had been encountering faulty hood latches which were the culprit.

At some point Chevrolet or GM need to issue a recall or reimburse the owners like they did a few decades ago with the faulty mini stepper  motor motors which caused the speedometer and or tachometers in the instrument cluster to stop working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this.  I've had basically the same issue with my 2019 Silverado since it was about 6 months old.  Multiple dealerships either told me it was normal and wouldn't even write it up or they couldn't duplicate the issue and sent me on my way.

I took a chance and ordered a new latch based on your post, but it did not solve my issues.  

A few differences with my truck:  I have a keyed ignition, not the push button, and the issue only happens when starting with the key.  If I remote start, it never happens.

There are no stored codes on mine.  Everything clears when I put it in Drive.  Not Reverse, but Drive.  I've heard from a friend that a similar issue on his wife's Tahoe was solved with a new TCM.  Obviously I'm not going to get that without a dealer that takes me seriously.

Again, thank you for the post but YMMV.