Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Cold start one second long awful engine sound


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, newdude said:

 

 

It got cold as you said it got cold outside.  The common symptom in that bulletin is at, around 32F and below.  

 

They don't add any additives unless they pitch you one like BG.  GM uses 5w30 from the factory.  Use 5w30.  The 5.3 and 6.2 use 0w20 and the pump still makes the noise, as do the Camaros/Corvettes that use 0w40.  


Nothing happens long term.  The only oil pumps I've seen replaced on Gen 5 V8s are for the variable control solenoid failing.  

That temperature part of the bulletin is the only part that doesn't make since to me. It hardly gets in to the 40's here much less below freezing. Mine has been making that noise all summer which is 80's and 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Pryme said:

That’s a bummer. I wonder what symptoms to look for if that fails?

 

thanks

 

Check engine light with a P06DD code is the most common.  

 

4 minutes ago, Flatus said:

That temperature part of the bulletin is the only part that doesn't make since to me. It hardly gets in to the 40's here much less below freezing. Mine has been making that noise all summer which is 80's and 90's.

 

 

Sitting for long times as well per the bulletin.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, newdude said:

 

Check engine light with a P06DD code is the most common.  

 

 

 

Sitting for long times as well per the bulletin.


will it not show a drop or rise in oil pressure? If the solenoid fails would it either fail open or closed?

 

my scan gauge 3 pulls the exact to the second oil pressure from the obd2 port so I can monitor the exact oil pressure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pryme said:


will it not show a drop or rise in oil pressure? If the solenoid fails would it either fail open or closed?

 

my scan gauge 3 pulls the exact to the second oil pressure from the obd2 port so I can monitor the exact oil pressure. 

 

 

It will spike to high pressure on the gauge in the dash.  If you watch the oil pressure driving on these gen 5 engines, around 3500rpm the oil pressure spikes from say 40-50psi to about 70psi.  That's the second stage kicking in. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, newdude said:

 

 

It will spike to high pressure on the gauge in the dash.  If you watch the oil pressure driving on these gen 5 engines, around 3500rpm the oil pressure spikes from say 40-50psi to about 70psi.  That's the second stage kicking in. 

 

I do notice that on the scan gauge just as you stated. It will go to like 70 and drop back down depending on your speed/acceleration. 
 

so basically if the solenoid fails it will either fail open or closed. So you wouldn’t see that fluctuating I’m guessing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So today I made a quick video so anyone who’s interested to see how the oil pressure changes. These changes are not reflected on the trucks actual gauge. 
 

so this is just a casual cruise up to freeway speed(about 65) unloaded. I did blimp the throttle getting it to 2,500 rpm a couple times but the pressure changes randomly not based on those downshifts. 
 

as you can see it actually changes from like 48-50 cursing to 67-70 and back down. 
 

now I haven’t done this with really warm oil as you can see the coolant is up to temp but not the oil or transmission. 
 

Scan gauge 3 in 6.6 gas
https://youtu.be/37WhuCpvfc4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Flatus said:

That temperature part of the bulletin is the only part that doesn't make since to me. It hardly gets in to the 40's here much less below freezing. Mine has been making that noise all summer which is 80's and 90's.

Confuses me too because after me being at work 10 hours and leaving when it 80 plus degrees out mine still makes that noise.  So temp. doesn't matter with mine at all and apparently with yours either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve heard that rasp sound when starting but only when I open door are reach in and turn the key. Yeah, my truck has one of those old fashioned key thingys. My daily driver is a push start and it’s kind of annoying you have to touch the brakes to push start. Not sure if these trucks are that way but makes it a pain to reach in and fire it up. I have to use my hand to push the brake pedal and push start.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2022 at 11:16 PM, Pryme said:

I’ve heard that rasp sound when starting but only when I open door are reach in and turn the key. Yeah, my truck has one of those old fashioned key thingys. My daily driver is a push start and it’s kind of annoying you have to touch the brakes to push start. Not sure if these trucks are that way but makes it a pain to reach in and fire it up. I have to use my hand to push the brake pedal and push start.  

My custom model uses the old key thingy too and I love it because of that....lol.......but from what I've read on this thread a different oil filter won't fix that noise.  At first I was thinking the drain back valve is junk on the AC Delco filters, but that can't be the case because my truck obviously had that filter when new and was replaced with the exact same filter.  So that leaves the oil......I'm still scratching my head as to what happened during a simple oil change that made my truck start making the rasp noise during startup, that it didn't make at all until an oil change.  I don't know.  I'm thinking GM put in some kind of moly or perhaps a thicker oil during break in.  I don't know.  I'm at 5200 miles now.  Still far away from needing an oil change but I might try a different oil this time to see if it eliminates the rasp.  I know GM says no additives in the oil.  But I'm tempted to throw a pint of moly in it just to see what happens.  It's not going to hurt anything, but I really want that noise to go away and sound normal like it did before my first oil change.

Edited by Jettech1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

My custom model uses the old key thingy too and I love it because of that....lol.......but from what I've read on this thread a different oil filter won't fix that noise.  At first I was thinking the drain back valve is junk on the AC Delco filters, but that can't be the case because my truck obviously had that filter when new and was replaced with the exact same filter.  So that leaves the oil......I'm still scratching my head as to what happened during a simple oil change that made my truck start making the rasp noise during startup, that it didn't make at all until an oil change.  I don't know.  I'm thinking GM put in some kind of moly or perhaps a thicker oil during break in.  I don't know.  I'm at 5200 miles now.  Still far away from needing an oil change but I might try a different oil this time to see if it eliminates the rasp.  I know GM says no additives in the oil.  But I'm tempted to throw a pint of moly in it just to see what happens.  It's not going to hurt anything, but I really want that noise to go away and sound normal like it did before my first oil change.

I’m more annoyed with the loud priming fuel pump when you open any door. Even multiple times if you open a couple doors. 
I wonder if it “unprimes” if you just open the door to grab something and never start the truck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pryme said:

I’m more annoyed with the loud priming fuel pump when you open any door. Even multiple times if you open a couple doors. 
I wonder if it “unprimes” if you just open the door to grab something and never start the truck. 

You have mentioned this before about your fuel pump.  I can hear mine but it's not loud or anything I would consider out of the norm.  Do you think maybe you have a problem with your pump?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

You have mentioned this before about your fuel pump.  I can hear mine but it's not loud or anything I would consider out of the norm.  Do you think maybe you have a problem with your pump?

I made a video. 
 

Is this what you guys pump prime sounds like? You will hear it twice. Once when driver door opens and the second time when the key is turned.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Pryme said:

I made a video. 
 

Is this what you guys pump prime sounds like? You will hear it twice. Once when driver door opens and the second time when the key is turned.

 

 

Great video by the way.  Mine sounds exactly the same way.  Edit:  I have a 2021 Ford Explorer that doesn't make any fuel pump sounds at all.  But my 2019 Explorer Sport did.  I didn't think much of anything about it honestly.  I knew what it was doing so I never considered it a big deal.  

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Great video by the way.  Mine sounds exactly the same way.  Edit:  I have a 2021 Ford Explorer that doesn't make any fuel pump sounds at all.  But my 2019 Explorer Sport did.  I didn't think much of anything about it honestly.  I knew what it was doing so I never considered it a big deal.  

Does yours prime more than once? 
mine will do it up to 3x depending on the sequence of doors opened and on a morning cold start, as shown on the video. 
mid I open the back door first it will prime or even dropping the tailgate will make it prime. Seems odd. I feel it should only prime if drivers door is opened or key turned. 
 

test yours cold once by dropping tailgate or opening rear doors. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.